Fern

(17 Posts)
sunnysunnyshine Fri 30-Nov-12 19:35:06

I really really like the name Fern but am being put off by the very annoying Fearne Cotton.

Is she the first person you think of when you hear the name? I'm not bothered by Fern Britain as she's not around so much.

I know if we named our dd Fern she would become her name and the only one we think of - plus we'd use a different spelling... But I can't get past Ms Cotton...

Will people make the association do you think? Or am I over thinking this? smile

Geranium3 Fri 30-Nov-12 19:41:51

i immediately thought of fern britton whom IMO is far nicer than f.cot,
It is a lovely name and your dd will have her own unique character far removed from little miss annoying!!!!

CharlieCoCo Fri 30-Nov-12 20:53:41

Little girl from Charlotte's Web.

ladymia Fri 30-Nov-12 21:26:20

Personally thought of Fearne Cotton and I can't stand her! I also find her very annoying

sunnysunnyshine Sat 01-Dec-12 08:20:24

Thanks for your input. Seems pretty mixed so far...

tiredteddy Sat 01-Dec-12 08:23:55

How funny. I have my heart set on calling this baby dc3 due in 7 weeks fern. I love the name. Pretty but not frilly. I figure fearne cotton will be long gone off the radar in a few years. I prefer the spelling of Fern as well and the Charlottes Web character us a good association.

Welovecouscous Sat 01-Dec-12 08:26:33

I know one who hates it - her name is spelled Ferne. She things it is twee and girly - she is now very senior in a big company.

She had dropped the last 'e' to try to improve issues with people misspelling it.

Yika Sat 01-Dec-12 19:59:19

I think of Charlotte's Web and I think it's a beautiful name.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 01-Dec-12 20:14:05

I think of a girl I know with that spelling, not a name I would choose but still nice.

ScumbagCollegeDropout Sun 02-Dec-12 12:39:19

LOVE it.

FriggFRIGG Mon 03-Dec-12 16:53:45

I love this name,wish I'd called DD Fern.

YouCanBe Mon 03-Dec-12 18:58:10

Really like it.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 04-Dec-12 19:53:35

I love it, it was on my shortlist. Cotton did put me off a bit, and indeed I started an identical thread to this some time ago. I still would have used it if DH hadn't preferred other names on our list though.

sunnysunnyshine Thu 06-Dec-12 10:03:25

Ooh lots of positive responses... I really can't think of any other names I love as much. I love that its short, pretty but not frilly and goes with ds's name which also has a nature theme.

Just need to get past that damn cotton woman!!

rhubarb do you mind saying what other names were on your list? You might give me some more ideas/inspiration smile

Fluffeh Thu 06-Dec-12 16:59:29

I think it's a lovely name. My DN is named fern and I only think of her when I hear the name. She's a really well mannered, pretty and happy young teen too smile.

Lyns22 Fri 07-Dec-12 16:01:40

Fern is the top of my baby girl list. Short and girly with a tiny hippyish vibe smile fern instantly reminds me of charlottes web. It is a stylish name, I love it!! X

amck5700 Fri 07-Dec-12 20:20:38

Wren?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now