A nickname for Alexandra

(49 Posts)
language Wed 28-Nov-12 12:38:59

Hello,

We have a brand new baby Alexandra! We love the full name but can't find a nice nickname - we dislike both Alex and Lexie/ Any creative suggestions are welcome.

MarthasHarbour Wed 28-Nov-12 12:41:58

oh i came on to say Lexi wink

Xandra?
Allie?

Alexa?

In Poland, the nickname for Alexandra is Ola. That probably doesn't help.

Congratulations though thanks

greenhill Wed 28-Nov-12 12:55:26

Sasha?

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 28-Nov-12 12:56:41

I know an Alexandra and she's called Alexia

perplexedpirate Wed 28-Nov-12 12:57:42

Sandy??confused

Sandy, in the same was that it's a nickname for Alexander in Scotland?

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Wed 28-Nov-12 12:58:07

Xandra?

BoysAndGhouls Wed 28-Nov-12 13:35:06

Alexie or alexy is my DS nickname from alexander

greenhill Wed 28-Nov-12 13:48:09

Here's the wiki link for Sasha, the link gives other nicknames / derivatives too

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasha_(name)

imnotmymum Wed 28-Nov-12 13:49:27

Nick name for our Alexandra is zaza as my DC1 could not say Alexandra when Dd2 born so sort of picked up on the za-ra bit.

HarlettOScara Wed 28-Nov-12 13:51:28

My Alexandra is known as Sasha (but also gets called Zaza like the previous poster's)

akaemmafrost Wed 28-Nov-12 13:51:41

I've got an Alexandra. She is Alex and I love it but I wish I had know Sasha was a diminutive because I LOVE that name and would have used that as her nickname.

EIizaDay Wed 28-Nov-12 13:51:58

I can't quite understand this nickname stuff. You give a child a name. Isn't that what you call them? A nickname, sometimes, happens. That's it. Fullstop. You don't MAKE a nickname.

Sunny ( the name queen Victoria gave to her daughter Alexandra)

msrisotto Wed 28-Nov-12 13:58:12

Lexa?

Agree with Elizaday. Nicknames evolve almost over time, they are not deliberately given. Nicknames I know include vee, fuzzy, lulu (nothing like real name), splodge, rabbit, squiddy etc. Never understood why you would choose a name then consciously decide to call a child something else?

Hope88 Wed 28-Nov-12 14:46:42

I think it's Sasha.

We know a Xanna / Zanna, I've never heard it before but assume it's for Alexandra (or Susanna)

Floggingmolly Wed 28-Nov-12 14:52:08

Agree with others as to nicknames evolving; you generally don't get to control what it is either. I've never heard of new parents deliberately choosing the baby's nickname hmm

giraffe213 Wed 28-Nov-12 14:56:27

Nicknames: because some names seem too 'grown-up' for a squishy little baby (congratulations btw!) I like Sasha and Lexa, Ally works too.

Snowflakepie Wed 28-Nov-12 15:05:20

My cousins Dd is known as Alexa. My SIL deliberately chose her LOs nn because her name (Charlotte) could have a lot of short versions and one she really hated, so she started using one she liked so it would stick. Up to age 6 it has worked, she is Lottie, of course she might change her mind in future. Another cousin was always known as Lizzie (Elizabeth) but as a teenager decided she preferred Libbie. There's no hard and fast with these things! Just call her Alexandra and see what short names get used naturally.

evamummy Wed 28-Nov-12 15:31:33

Congratulations on your baby girl.

But I'm a little confused as to why you named her Alexandra if you don't like the names Alex and Lexie... because it is very likely that those might become her nicknames....

Otherwise how about Sandra?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now