Why does no-one seem to use the name Laura anymore?

(47 Posts)
KBwan Mon 26-Nov-12 15:25:58

Am due DC3 on Sunday, and think Laura is a lovely name if it turns out to be a girl (have 2 already, so can't imagine having a baby with a winkle!). I thought I'd check she wouldn't be one of 4 in her class at school, but it didn't even feature in the top 100 last year.
Am I stuck in the eighties thinking this is a nice name?

BOFingSanta Mon 26-Nov-12 15:29:13

No, it's a beautiful name.

MamaMary Mon 26-Nov-12 15:30:26

Lovely lovely name.

Startail Mon 26-Nov-12 15:31:59

It's a lovely name, way nicer than the harsh sounding Lauren.

Way over due for a comeback.

NotChristmasCarol Mon 26-Nov-12 15:32:56

I think it's nice. I'm in Central London and I know a baby Laura (she's about 10 months' old). She has a sister Sophie, and a brother, William.

CremeEggThief Mon 26-Nov-12 15:35:30

Very, very popular in the late 70s right up to the late 80s in my part of Ireland, but seldom used now. An English friend gave it to her 10 year old DD as a middle name, but that's the only one I can think of.

I agree it's a lovely name.

RobinSparkles Mon 26-Nov-12 15:35:34

It's a nice name but it's a name that I associate with my age. There was one in my class at Primary school and quite a few in my year at high school.

It's a pretty name and I wouldn't be hmm if I met one at baby group. In fact I probably think, "oh lovely. You don't hear of many nowadays!"

<hovers on fringe of thread preening> guess what my name is grin
Fwiw, I love my name. I'm very rarely 'which laura?', I never get misspelled, it's never shortened to something horrible, and it's not too girly or too masculine.
It's a good name, use it grin

Whyriskit Mon 26-Nov-12 15:39:12

I love it, but it's the name of the deceased daughter of a colleague and I think she would find it very hard if someone she knew used it.

YouHaveBeenOutbid Mon 26-Nov-12 15:42:02

It's my name too and I think it dates me! Younger ones are always Lauren. I was one of 3 in a class of 11 girls at primary but I'm guessing if you used it now your daughter would be the only one in her class so go for it! Start the Laura revival ;)

baublesandbaileys Mon 26-Nov-12 15:45:09

its a nice name but people of my age know too many so have associations with it. Such as the likelyhood of it being the name of someone the father went out with or pulled once since there were so many Lauras in our age group, lots of DHs may have even dated TWO or more lauras. And everyone my age went to school with a couple of lauras

baskingseals Mon 26-Nov-12 16:20:42

dd has a lovely lovely friend - she is Laura. She is 11.

my great-grandmother was Laura, and i always wanted it as my middle name.

the only other Laura i know is my sister's friend. think it is an underused and pretty name.

Frikadellen Mon 26-Nov-12 16:37:19

My cousins name (she is 18) her parents picked it because they said it goes in most languages.

reason why I never used it as I love it.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 26-Nov-12 16:53:37

Possibly because it was incredibly popular in the late 80's and early 90's. I went to school with a lot of Laura's.

Labootin Mon 26-Nov-12 16:57:15

Dd has a classmate called Laura (shes 8)
I think its a classic and due a revival

jaffacakehips Mon 26-Nov-12 17:40:03

I know a baby Laura, I thought it made a refreshing change to all the ie names.

OxandAssinine Mon 26-Nov-12 17:43:56

Laura is lovely, and I'm completely unbiased. Go for it!

wink

hjtunny Mon 26-Nov-12 17:44:08

it's a really lovely name, as an 80s child I knew/know loads of Lauras but I think it will be fairly uncommon now

YouCanBe Mon 26-Nov-12 17:49:40

I think it is a great name, and it doesn't feel 'dated' to me even though it was very popular a couple of decades ago.

Curtsey Mon 26-Nov-12 17:50:23

Very lovely. Was on my list for DD.

mignonette Mon 26-Nov-12 17:50:50

There's lots of Laura's in their early twenties as that was when it was at it's most recent peak.

I adore it and have a Laura in the family named for the author Laura Ingalls Wilder.

I find it suits all ages- tiny babies right through to elderly Laura's.

Such a dignified pretty name.

Pancakeflipper Mon 26-Nov-12 17:53:00

There's a few Laura's at our primary and nursery. I think it's a name that's always around.

ENormaSnob Mon 26-Nov-12 17:58:42

I've never met a Laura I didn't like.

And they've all been very pretty.

daisydoodoo Mon 26-Nov-12 17:59:36

There's two Laura's in dd1's year at school *yr2 so 6yrs) and one that I know of in ds2' s yr. (10yrs old)

2kidsintow Mon 26-Nov-12 18:00:35

My colleague's dd is named Laura (as was my Nana).
Her friend's shorten it to Loz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now