What's Your Name?

(210 Posts)
manicinsomniac Thu 22-Nov-12 17:48:40

We've done mother's, father's, grandmother's, grandfather's, children's names. But I don't think I've seen an inspiration thread based on our own (maybe we don't like our own generation's names!)

Thought it might be interesting though. For those who want to share.

Also, how common was your name when you were born? And do you like it?

I'm a Rebecca. I think it was in the top 5. Certainly top 10. I was frequently in situations where we had to decide who was going to be Rebecca, Becca, Becky, Bex etc just to distinguish. I still really like it though. But I don't like Becky and am not that sold on Becca and Bex either.

barmysarmy Sat 05-Jan-13 19:36:34

Im a Cerys born in the early 80's not met many others even though Im from Wales although I apprieciate its a popular name there.

andadietcoke Sat 05-Jan-13 19:46:38

Hannah. Hated it when I was little, and I was always the only one. To me it was an old lady name (the nurse Hannah in Little Women, and I was named after a great aunt Hannah). Now there seem to be little Hannahs everywhere, but even despite that I quite like it now.

notjustamummythankyou Sat 05-Jan-13 19:58:55

I'm a Catherine - born 1970.

Although there were a couple of others in my year, I was always the only one in my class.

It's never been shortened, and I hate it when someone calls me cath or Cathy!

TruckerRobyn Sat 05-Jan-13 20:28:49

I'm Robyn!

I think it's starting to get more common - i know of 2 males Robin but no other females Robyn! I like my name - i get called Rob or Robby for short i'm happy with either - people say Rob is for blokes but you could say that about georgina/george Antonia/Toni

TreadOnTheCracks Sat 05-Jan-13 20:35:20

Sonia

YoSaffBridge Sat 05-Jan-13 20:41:04

Anne. I don't think it' ever been that popular! And I'm a lot younger than I should be with this name. I'm not entirely sure what my dad was thinking when he named me. There's nothing about 'Anne' which says 'late 70s' to me!

YulaBaker Sat 05-Jan-13 21:55:03

Janine, I'm 29 and only met one other Janine, much older than me. There are plenty in fiction tho.

absentmindeddooooodles Sat 05-Jan-13 22:07:29

im a chloe. wasn'y very popular when i was born, then a few years later lots more started to appear! Still havn't met very many though. Quite like the name smile

ZipItShrimpy Sat 05-Jan-13 22:50:21

I'm a Lorna, not fussed for it either way really but certainly don't hate it.

Harrysmummysarah1 Sat 05-Jan-13 23:07:32

I'm Sarah would of been Simon had I been male

sugarlugosi Sat 05-Jan-13 23:14:00

Siobhan - the third on here but I've only met 2 others in the last /9 years. I hate spelling it all the time but I don't mind it as a name now I've grown up xx

mija1 Sun 06-Jan-13 19:04:01

Sherika

I'm Carly and I do like my name, always spelt wrong which is annoying, and often get called kylie!

Sasparillo Mon 14-Jan-13 11:36:48

I'm a Sarah Jane. Very popular in my year group but I still like it, a bit boring but I've never had a problem with it smile You don't get many baby Sarah's now though, no idea why, it means princess smile

KatyPeril Mon 14-Jan-13 11:49:21

Lucy.

confusteling Mon 14-Jan-13 12:24:27

Linda. I was born in 1991 and all the Lindas I've met are well over 40!!!

It's a lovely name though, a few friends are Spanish/Portugese; over there Linda means "pretty" so reading their facebook posts is always entertaining - the moon is Linda, that picture's very Linda, what a Linda scene etc..

I'm more commonly known though as Lindy Loo (after a song) - most people, usually those over 40, automatically refer to me as Lindy Loo..

Middle name is Alison which is more common, and my Confirmation name is Anne/Annie which is a family name.

Vajazzler I either went to school with you or one of the others! West Country by any chance?

DonderandBlitzen Mon 14-Jan-13 12:47:30

Amanda. I don't mind it. Never been embarrassed by it

FranglaisMadam Mon 14-Jan-13 12:47:49

Hayley - never really liked it. Brother is to blame as my parents let him choose my name, and he chose it in honour of his schoolgirl crush at the time!

emblosion Mon 14-Jan-13 14:18:27

Emma Louise (usually just called Emma, Ems, Em, Embo etc) don't mind it, but hated always being one of several in my class at school/uni. I've come across less Emmas as I've grown up, we must have dissapated...

zingally Mon 14-Jan-13 14:39:32

I'm a Sally.

There was a couple of us at school, but I haven't met any recently, adult or child.

hopeful92 Mon 14-Jan-13 16:39:47

Mine's Stephanie. Prefer Steph, and get called "Steffi" by family (started by a little girl I used to babysit for when I was 14 and continued o by nieces&nephews).

I'm a bit indifferent to my name really, never really thought about whether or not I like it, which I suppose is a good thing 'cause it means that I can't despise it...

cyclecamper Mon 14-Jan-13 16:45:10

Joan. I only once ever met another one my age (at uni). I don't mind it - although I regularly get called Jo, Jane, June, Joanna, Joanne and on a few occasions Joy. I like all of those so I don't mind. I object to Joany though - people use it to talk down to me. It usually says more about them than me though!wink

thegreylady Mon 14-Jan-13 17:11:05

I on the other hand am old smile
Valerie

thegreylady Mon 14-Jan-13 17:12:57

my dd was born 1974 and is Joanna

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now