What's Your Name?

(210 Posts)
manicinsomniac Thu 22-Nov-12 17:48:40

We've done mother's, father's, grandmother's, grandfather's, children's names. But I don't think I've seen an inspiration thread based on our own (maybe we don't like our own generation's names!)

Thought it might be interesting though. For those who want to share.

Also, how common was your name when you were born? And do you like it?

I'm a Rebecca. I think it was in the top 5. Certainly top 10. I was frequently in situations where we had to decide who was going to be Rebecca, Becca, Becky, Bex etc just to distinguish. I still really like it though. But I don't like Becky and am not that sold on Becca and Bex either.

Josephine - I was the only one all through school and I have only ever met two other Josephine's. I hated it growing up but kind of used to it now grin

gerbilsarefun Sat 01-Dec-12 08:40:54

I'm a Gill, short for Gillian. I'm surprised no-one else with my name has posted. I was born in the 60s and have the middle name Clare. I don't mind my name, but having shortened it in my teens, it feels weird if someone calls me by my full name.

SirBoobAlot Sat 01-Dec-12 08:59:02

Gerbils, my mum is Gillian, shortened to Gill. She hates her full name.

maxylou Sat 01-Dec-12 08:59:42

I'm Kirsty born 1982 ..lots in my school.. I quite like my name but always wanted to be called Sophie grin

peachypips Sat 01-Dec-12 19:04:09

I am Joanna- always used to get annoyed when people called me Joanne! I like my name but everyone calls me Jo of course. Don't mind as it makes me think of Little Women- Jo rocks! Born in 78 and had one other Joanna and a Joanne in my class at school.

LittleFlower888 Tue 04-Dec-12 17:55:49

Anna

eachtigertires Tue 04-Dec-12 18:43:19

Amy

TheQueensChristmasDinner Tue 04-Dec-12 18:56:08

Stephanie. Have always been known as Steph but recently have started using my full name again. Quite like it.

MKG Tue 04-Dec-12 19:31:33

Marta, I've always been the only one.

OkayHazel Wed 05-Dec-12 01:28:09

I'm Felicity. Go by Fliss to friend and family.

Always Felicity for new people and business.

Wetthemogwai Wed 05-Dec-12 01:56:36

Hahahaha chipmonkey I have an Orla and never knew its Hebrew meaning! It's still a beautiful name though smile

I'm a Rachel, the only one in my year and at uni but there was a rachael at college. Not fussed with it either way but people are forever spelling it wrong

qumquat Wed 05-Dec-12 18:42:35

Another Laura here, late 70s baby. I love it now, but when I was little I wanted to be called Lily or Molly - my family fell about laughing at what ridiculous sounding names they were.

GreatCongas Wed 05-Dec-12 18:56:08

I'm Bronwen

Always liked it
It's unusual enough that I've only ever met one other (though know of others) and known enough that i dot get people looking at me like I'm odd (thanks neighbours)
Spelling is annoying and sometimes it feels a bit stolid but overall I'm happy

Time to name change again

stifnstav Wed 05-Dec-12 22:59:24

Another Stephanie here. Usually shortened to Steph or Stiff!

I'm a Victoria, really like it now I'm older even had it as my daughters middle name. Alot of people don't know it's my name tho as I'm know by another name.

jumblequeen Thu 06-Dec-12 17:59:08

I'm Kyle.
Have had to live with being addressed as Mr / dude / mate for all written correspondence and Kylie in person... but I've never met another female Kyle. it is unisex, according to my parents anyway!

juneybean Thu 06-Dec-12 18:41:05

I'm a Jennifer, my mam said there were lots of us but I've not come across too many.

AreAllMenTheSame2 Thu 06-Dec-12 18:41:31

Im a Sharon. When I was younger I hated it, I allways asked my mum what possessed her to call a baby Sharon. I think it suits an older lady, not a baby, toddler, child or teenager. But in my twenties now and have grown to like it smile

AreAllMenTheSame2 Thu 06-Dec-12 18:42:43

AND people always spell it 'Sharron' drives me mad!

curlyclaz13 Sat 08-Dec-12 12:55:47

Clare, I am 32 and I was one of 5 at school, I don't like it. Parents choose it so it couldn't be shortend so it gets lengthened instead. In the last two jobs I have alos worked with Claires which causes confussion so much so that my current boss asked me to use my middle name Elisabeth but that is not my name !

Normaflore Sat 08-Dec-12 22:08:40

Bernadette

As soon as I say my name people automatically assume I'm either Irish or French hmm. The last 20 years or so (since moving to the UK) I've been saying sorry and making excuses for my parents as to why I have this name without the "correct" nationality... Other than this I'm fairly OK with my name.

sammysaidso Sun 09-Dec-12 07:33:27

Samantha Jane, surprisingly only knew one other Samantha growing up and only two other people with a double barrel name.

Top1000NameChange Sun 09-Dec-12 11:15:36

Jessamy.

I had to namechange, as i have WAY too much personal info on here.

I love my name. It's frequently misheard (I get a lot of "Stephanie, did you say?") and misspelt but it's never bothered me particularly. Once people "get" it, it's easy. Spelt phonetically etc.

My pet hate is people calling me Jess when I barely know them <precious>. But my close friends and family rarely call me anything else.

meddie Thu 13-Dec-12 11:40:14

I,m a Julie.
Hated it when I was little as everyone around me had names like Christine or Caroline which were very popular and sounded so 'exotic' at the time
now I love my name, though I very rarely get the full version, mainly Jules, which I kind of like.

Reiltin Thu 13-Dec-12 11:55:21

Niamh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now