Avi

(10 Posts)
ripsishere Mon 19-Nov-12 01:26:52

My DDs friends nickname is Avi.
Short for Avishai. They come from Israel.

VintageRainBoots Mon 19-Nov-12 01:23:19

I know lots of men and boys named "Avi." All Jewish. I believe "avi" means "my father" in Hebrew. It can also be a nickname for Abraham/Avraham.

OkayHazel Mon 19-Nov-12 01:19:23

Audio Video Interleave - you know, an .avi file?
Kids will grow up totally pc literate.
Nobody is calling their kid Jpg or Docx.

tammytoby Fri 16-Nov-12 13:24:11

Avi sounds like a nickname for something longer to me.

squoosh Fri 16-Nov-12 12:46:16

I'd be surprised to meet non Jewish brothers called Eli and Avi, so be prepared for the 'Oh I didn't know you were Jewish . . . .' type statements.

HaggisMcNeeps Fri 16-Nov-12 12:31:55

How about Avery instead.

MyLastDuchess Fri 16-Nov-12 10:44:02

I love it, couldn't use it myself because here in NL it means AV (as in audio-visual). But not sure how you would pronounce it? Here we say it to rhyme with 'chavvy', and Eli is sort of like eel-eye, so they would go together ok.

Gwennan Fri 16-Nov-12 10:40:56

I think it's too similar to Eli.

RTchoke Thu 15-Nov-12 20:13:35

I love Eli.

Avi sounds like RV to me. Or someone saying "Harvey" but with a bad accent so they drop the H.

It just doesn't work to my ears.

Also it's v similar to Eli (vowel-constenant-i).

ClementineandLilac Thu 15-Nov-12 20:03:37

I really like the name Avi ( no I am not Jewish and don't care if people make the assumption ). My moms best friends husband confused is called Avi and every time I hear it I love it more and more. Soooo what do you think? Do you like? I have a ds called Eli and think they go well!?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now