Findlay

(6 Posts)
cashmere Wed 14-Nov-12 22:48:04

Hi

Finley has been discounted.
We were planning on spelling the name Finlay but Findlay is also an option.

This is a family name several generations ago (Scottish branch). I like the idea of using this connection.

I like how Findlay looks written down and people are likely to ask if it is 'l a y' or 'l e y' anyway BUT will people try and pronounce the 'd' in Findlay?

Snazzyfeelingfestive Wed 14-Nov-12 22:50:15

Yes. They will.

SavoyCabbage Wed 14-Nov-12 22:53:45

I definitely did when I read the title. That would be OK if you didn't mind it happening though. People who knew him wouldn't make the mistake. Although they might write it down wrong too.

There is a boy in dd's class called Gruff. You say it Griff. Supply teachers etc do call him Gruff and people do write Griff on his invitations etc. So I would say it depends on whether that would irritate you or not.

cashmere Wed 14-Nov-12 22:58:19

Not sure- people rarely say my maiden name correctly so I'm happy to have a common surname now.
Will prob stick to Finlay as it can get tiresome having to spell your name esp over the phone. Just thought as it is a family name anyway it might be nice to use the Findlay spelling.

tammytoby Wed 14-Nov-12 22:58:39

Of course I would pronounce Findlay as Find-lay. Otherwise why would there be a 'd'?

HolyBrrrrrrBatman Thu 15-Nov-12 00:28:22

I think people will pronounce the 'd'. I wouldn't give him a name that is going to be constantly misspelt and mispronounced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now