Sibling for Persephone!

(34 Posts)
Persephoneplus1 Wed 14-Nov-12 20:42:34

We don't know if it's a boy or girl but we could do with some inspiration for names! This is what I've got on my list so far (although DH doesn't like lots of them....) - any thoughts on these or other potential names??

Girl:
Ariadne
Beatrice
Cecelia
Eliza
Gretel
Heidi
Liesl
Mariella
Michaela

Boy:
Ewan
Felix
Gregory
Patrick
Sebastian
Theodore

badtime Thu 22-Nov-12 16:39:19

What about Ishtar (or Astarté)? She was a Babylonian goddess who went to the underworld, then came back.

Orpheus for a boy....

(I am not taking the piss)

ImpYCelyn Thu 22-Nov-12 16:22:06

Ariadne for sure! Maybe Calliope?

Your boys names are all too plain. Ptolemy or Oberon would be great.

persephoneplum Thu 22-Nov-12 12:57:12

Andromeda

and

Septimus

Both my sons' names are on your boy list, so you might like what we're calling our third boy - Jarvis.

newby2 Thu 22-Nov-12 07:43:43

Athena for a girl, Oberon for a boy.

Persephoneplus1 Wed 21-Nov-12 19:28:46

Thanks all, loads of ideas here!

Hulababy Sat 17-Nov-12 12:03:06

DD claims she is going to have twin girls when she is older called Persephone and Hermione

EskimoPie Fri 16-Nov-12 22:27:01

My mum wanted to call me Persephone, but was outvoted... I think it's a gorgeous name. Stick with the Greeks, I say. I vote for Cassandra too. Or maybe Cressida?

Pasiphae Fri 16-Nov-12 13:46:42

I like Ariadne, but it's a bit a repeat but different of Persephone, if that makes sense.
Cecelia or Beatrice would be great, or even Cecilia/Cecily/Cicely or Beatrix?
Mariella is fab but a bit flat against a Persephone.

Felix or Gregory for the boys.

Other ideas:
Zenaïde, Athenaïs, Hortensia, Philomene, Circee, Azalea, Tessalie, Aphra, Andromeda, Artemise/ia, Brunehilda/Sunhilda/Swanhilda, Wilhelmina, Coraline, Cleophee, Castille, Domitilla, Bertille, Cybele, Nimue, Cephise, Eglantine?

Ferdinand, Ezekiel, Eustace, Gustave, Octave, Nestor, Arnold, Harold, Zephyr, Rudyard, Ephraim, Basil, Melchior, Joachim, Rufus, Emil, Elzear, Gideon, Gilbert, Hector, Herbert, Isidore, Leonard, Icabod, Jovian?

Lamazeroo Fri 16-Nov-12 11:04:03

Boys:
Rafferty
Quillan
Jolyon
Montague
Clancy

Girls:
Mirabel
Peggotty
Dieudonne
Rumer
Xanthe

Anonymumous Fri 16-Nov-12 11:03:16

Oh Persephone and Ariadne are just GORGEOUS together - go for that!

If you have a boy, I agree that you should go with something a bit more exciting. Orion or Atticus or Hercules or Odysseus or something else that's wild and amazing and fabulous.

alexpolismum Fri 16-Nov-12 10:55:39

Just to add, I like the meaning of Ariadne too

alexpolismum Fri 16-Nov-12 10:53:31

My DD's name (Ariadne) is on your list, so of course I think that's the best choice!

From your boys list I think Gregory is lovely, and it's not a name that's overused, so it should fit nicely with Persephone

HotHotNot Thu 15-Nov-12 12:51:17

I used to know sibs Pandora and Philomena, strikes me they fit well with Persephone grin .

delilah88 Thu 15-Nov-12 12:39:37

What about Daphne, Sylvia or Xanthe?
Or maybe Cassia?

MrsAceRimmer Thu 15-Nov-12 11:50:51

Benedict would be nice. How about Iolanthe for a girl? I love this name, but DH wasn't having any of it sad

TenthMuse Thu 15-Nov-12 11:48:08

Agree that most of your suggestions are a bit plain compared to Persephone (which I love, by the way, but would never be daring enough to use!). Like Eliza and Cecilia from your girls' list, but feel Eliza's too different in style and Cecilia and Persephone are a bit of a mouthful together because of all the 's' sounds.

Felix and Theodore are nice choices, but again I don't think they really 'go'. Reckon you need something a but more dramatic!

How about:

Athena, Atalanta, Estella, Mirabelle, Clio, Xanthe, Cassia, Tabitha, Thalia, Alethea, Cordelia, Delilah, Isadora

Atticus, Cassian, Raphael, Benedict, Xavier

squoosh Thu 15-Nov-12 11:08:22

Are you a Sound of Music fan perchance? wink

I like Mariella and Theo(dore) best from your lists.

tammytoby Thu 15-Nov-12 10:27:46

I love Persephone! I think Valentina, Antonia, Antigone, Beatrice and Ariadne for girls and Sebastian (although don't like Seb/Basty), Montgomery, Benedict, Thaddeus, Fabian, Quentin and Tristan would go really well!

baskingseals Thu 15-Nov-12 10:16:17

i love Athene, and i think it would be lovely with Peresphone. from your list i like Eliza and Liesl. i also like Annaliese.

boys - love Sebastion and Theodore. also love manic's suggestion of Xavier.

manicinsomniac Thu 15-Nov-12 09:21:45

Girl:
Ariadne - quite like it and one of the best matches with Persephone
Beatrice - not keen and it doesn't have the 'wow' factor of Persphone
Cecelia - quite like it
Eliza - quite like it, think you need a longer name though
Gretel - not keen and it's a mismatch imo
Heidi - quite like it but ditto to Gretel re mismatch
Liesl - dislike it
Mariella - not keen but it goes well with Persephone
Michaela - like it but total mismatch with Persephone

Boy:
Ewan - not keen
Felix - love it. Think you might need a longer, fancier name though
Gregory - not keen
Patrick - love it. How do you feel about alliteration?
Sebastian - like it. Good match
Theodore - it's ok. Good match

From other suggestions I think Electra is wonderful (if a bit bizarre!) and also love Cassandra. Antigone, Calliope, Fabian and Benedict would all go very well with Persephone imo. Ptolemy is, I think, too similar.

How about:
Araminta, Cassandra, Delilah, Elisaveta, Evangeline, Emmeline, Francesca, Georgiana, Gabriella, Henrietta, Julianna, Lavinia, Miranda, Natalia, Octavia, Ophelia, Rosalind, Rosamund, Tabitha, Veronica, Vanessa, Valentina, Xaria.

Frederick, Josiah, Maximillian, Montgomery, Nathaniel, Nicholas, Timothy, Xavier, Zachariah, Zebediah

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Thu 15-Nov-12 07:53:21

I think Ariadne would go v well with Persephone.

Persephoneplus1 Thu 15-Nov-12 07:03:03

Thanks all!

Yes, really dementedma.

goralka she's got lots of nn so far - Sephy, Persey, Poppy, Penny - different friends/family have their own nn.

goralka Wed 14-Nov-12 22:43:42

just out of interest what DO you call Persephone for short?
sephi? persy?

thegreylady Wed 14-Nov-12 22:38:20

Ptolemy nn Tolly smile

dementedma Wed 14-Nov-12 22:37:59

Persephone? Really?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now