Albert, Harold, Barnaby - I don't love any boys names!

(7 Posts)
emmyloo2 Wed 14-Nov-12 08:32:44

Hi, I am due to have DC2 in May next year. Don't know yet whether it is a boy or a girl but I suspect it is another boy to join DS1. I just have a feeling I am destined for two boys!

Problem is, I don't have any boys names which I really love. DS1 is George and I love this. Other names I like are Edward (but DH isn't sold on this), Felix, Hugo, Barnaby, Albert or possibly Harold (nn Harry). I just can't find something that is not too popular but is still a distinguished traditional solid name. That's why I love George (plus it was my grandfather's name). I love Harry but the popularity puts me off plus I would want Harold as the official name. I like Albert but not sure I would want to be a 17 year old guy called Albert? Maybe Felix or Hugo but are they too trendy? Gah!! Other choice is naming after my father, who is John. Too dull?

My DH is utterly hopeless in suggestions. His suggestions are Thomas (which I refuse because every second child is called Thomas, although I adore the name Tom) and Otto (which is ridiculous I think).

Your thoughts? Shall I just pray it is a girl as then I have a plethora of lovely traditional but underused names (current favourite is Margaret (Meg) or Mary).

Thanks!

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Wed 14-Nov-12 09:31:41

Love Hugo and Barnaby. Felix also nice. What about Alistair? Arthur?

Not sure about Albert - Bertie is very cute for a little one but a fifteen year old? Not so sure.

Jonathan is a fab name - love the nickname Johnny too. Not overly popular and due a resurgence in my opinion.

Do you like Henry?

littletomato Wed 14-Nov-12 09:49:55

What about.. Alexander? Benedict/Benjamin? Max? Simon?

derekthehamster Wed 14-Nov-12 09:52:12

I have a Jonathan grin Now he's in yr 8, he's finally found someone with the same name as him.

Henry is a good name with nn Harry (and I don't know any Harry's)

Beamur Wed 14-Nov-12 09:54:58

Henry goes well with George. I know a teen with the nn 'Hen'
James? Solid/traditional - nice nn Jamie or Jim!
I also like Barnaby (but we had a DD) and Laurence was on our short list.

Popumpkin Wed 14-Nov-12 09:59:08

IMHO there is only one boys name that goes with George and that is Henry.

My best friend has a Henry and I have already informed her that if her next DC is a boy she will have to call him George grin.

<disclaimer: I am not a control freak and do not pick the names of my friends' DCs>

Heavywheezing Wed 14-Nov-12 09:59:26

My two boys have the names on your list.

Ds1 is Edward. I liked it because I could call him Ned. I actually call him Edward!

I liked Bertie for ds2, but didn't like Albert, too old.

Have my read supermarket zoo? The little boy in that is called -albie which is lovely.

Recently I have been going through my family history and some amazing names came up. Enough to make me want to have more!

I think herbie is cute, arthur, Oscar,Alfred,Henry, otis, Wilfred,jasper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now