Go for the bold unusual name or the safe boring one? (both are beautiful)

(46 Posts)

I'm in a dillemma and really need the help of strangers in the internet to make up my mind!

DS2 was born on Friday and I was almost set that I would name him Linus (as was DH). We just wanted to look at him to see if the name suited.

Then he was born and then looking at him lots of names came up. Then we settled for one contender: Lucas.

Background: when DS1 was born, we were half-heartedly set on Joachim, but then looking at him we decided on Jonas. I feel it is HIS name, and not any name that was decided before we met him.

So, now we have a name that was decided before we met the baby, which I think is cool, unusual and everything. I know it's not to everyone's taste, and it is unheard of in Brazil, where we come from (but it is very easy to write and pronounce in Portuguese, so not a massive problem).

And we have a name that is incredibly popular here, in Brazil and in a lot of countries, but which is safer, works everywhere and fits him. (Linus fits him as well).

On one hand I feel choosing Lucas means I got cold feet, going for a boring(ish) name instead of the cool unpopular first option. A coward's choice (that I may regret later). He will have lots of namesakes and it is not as "distinguished" as Linus (in my mind, of course not everyone will agree).

On the other hand, going for Lucas means choosing his very own name, that he chose, just like his brother, instead of going for a more difficult option (for him, as lots of people will find the name strange) just out of stubbornness. And Lucas is a pretty serious and decent name anyway, fit for anything he wants to be. And since he will have two unusual family names, even with a more popular name, he will be still quite unique and easy to find on Google for example.

Another points: we are both atheists so 2 biblical names sound silly, and Linus has cool meanings (the Greek god of music, for example) and geeky associations.

I think both names sound too matchy-matchy with Jonas: Jonas and Lucas, Jonas and Linus. So, nowhere to run here smile

Your thoughts, please!

I'm back here to let you know what we have decided. I'm afraid I'll disappoint lots of people here but the baby is now... Lucas.

We have no way of knowing if he will thank us for the sensible name, that everyone knows around the world and doesn't demand an explanation all the time he meets someone new - or if he will have preferred to have a name that lots of people never heard of and that needs to be spelled, but that is much more rare.

We can't know today what kind of personality he has / will develop. We have a 50% chance of getting it right.

(we mentioned the name Linus to quite a few people and to almost all of them we had to either spell it or use some reference - Linus Pauling, Peanuts, Linus Larabee from Sabrina, Linus Torvalds... We decided it was too much of a hassle to impose on him, specially because we will have to spell his very unusual family names all the time)

And anyway, I still think he looks like a Lucas (more than a Linus).

Thanks a lot for all your comments, they made me think a lot!

sparkle12mar08 Fri 23-Nov-12 12:12:53

Normally I'd say bold and unusual, but as you say you feel he chose the other one 'himself' then I'd say definitely go with that one.

5madthings Fri 23-Nov-12 09:01:53

i love linus!!

also like lucas, its my ds2's middle name smile

Partridge Fri 23-Nov-12 08:57:45

We have a Linus and nobody teases him or associates him with peanuts (except me - I like Linus from peanuts - he is sensitive which is a good attribute in a man!)

Nobody has mentioned Linus torvalds or Linux or Linus Roache or even Linus Pauling. Do people really worry about this stuff? It's just a name - if you like it, go for it.

wizzler Sun 18-Nov-12 20:54:40

Linus for me

Part1 Sun 18-Nov-12 20:49:17

I haven't read the thread but wanted to day that Jonas is a really good, solid name. Luke and Lucas are also nice. I personally think that Linus is a wet name but not too bad in other respects. Congrats on your new son - enjoy it as it flys by.

CPtart Sun 18-Nov-12 20:44:05

I'd go with Luke too, much more classic and less pretentious (..oh, and I have one!)

cece Sun 18-Nov-12 20:36:54

I would go for Luke as I think both Lucas and Linus are a bit too similar (in the ending) as Jonas and therefore too matchy.

NigellaEllaElla Sun 18-Nov-12 20:28:48

Linus. Love it! Love unusual names and love that mine aren't one of three or four or even more by that name in the school or nursery.

Let us know what you decide.

P.S love Joachim too

AlwaysHoldingOnToStarbug Sun 18-Nov-12 20:12:31

I think they are both lovely, and I don't consider Lucas to be safe or boring, but then I've never met one, it may be hugely popular where you are.

I wouldn't worry about biblical names as an atheist either I have 2 with biblical names and 1 with an anglicised version of a biblical name and we're atheist.

So really I've been no help! Go with your instincts!

simplesusan Sun 18-Nov-12 17:40:22

I prefer Linus.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 18-Nov-12 10:55:36

I absolutely love Linus. Bit meh about Lucas as it is very common where I lived

Startail Sun 18-Nov-12 09:03:34

Linus, but I am married to the geekiest of geeks and an atheist.

lightrain Sun 18-Nov-12 08:44:52

What about Luca? Bit more unusual than Lucas, but you've still come up with it when you met him. I'm not too keen on Linus (sorry) but if you LOVE it, then go for it! It's not that unusual.

Teladi Sun 18-Nov-12 08:41:40

Linus is great.

I didn't know there was a Linus in Peanuts but am another who thought of Linus Torvalds.

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 18-Nov-12 08:31:52

I vote for Linus

HolyBrrrrrrBatman Thu 15-Nov-12 00:24:49

IMO (which is what you asked for)

Linus is awful.

Lucas is really quite nice.

If he looks like a Lucas, name him Lucas.

FeckOffWithYourXmasBollocks Wed 14-Nov-12 23:59:34

on DDs name and Ive always regretted it...

FeckOffWithYourXmasBollocks Wed 14-Nov-12 23:58:53

I let DP talk me into a compromise on ve always regretted it. The name I picked fitted her perfectly. The name she has is close but I never felt it was really her. sad

tammytoby Wed 14-Nov-12 12:44:44

I loved being the only one in my class/school/work with my name. But then it isn't a stupid name smile.

Ephiny Wed 14-Nov-12 12:43:34

I think they're both fine - to me they're quite similar names tbh, neither is particularly either safe/boring or unusual/weird. Both are a little similar to Jonas though...

Linus makes me think of Linus Torvalds/Linux <geek>

FriggFRIGG Wed 14-Nov-12 12:06:51

I hated being the child with the safe,boring name wink
I still hate it as an adult.
DP has a very unusual name,and he's always liked it...

strawberryswing Wed 14-Nov-12 12:04:56

Safe boring everytime! I hated being the child with the stupid name sad

R2PeePoo Wed 14-Nov-12 11:53:54

Linus is a lovely name but personally I prefer Lucas.

There are also two Linus's in Greek Mythology. One is the musical one. The other one is the son of Apollo who got killed by sheepdogs and prompted a mass kidnap of other children. <utter utter nerd>

I'd be put off by that (I would have had a Cassandra or Jocasta but I couldn't get over the connotations) but I know that I am very much in the minority with the Greek myths stuff.

Once you've named him then all this stuff will cease to matter anyway.

Linus sounds like a Harry Potter character to me, and Lucas like a surname. If I was a small boy I think I'd go for the Harry Potter one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now