What do you think when you hear this name?

(49 Posts)
pocornhat Tue 13-Nov-12 12:07:12

Ellen.

Having mentioned it to a couple of people, I can see that they are a bit underwlemed - don't dislike but perhaps think its a bit boring and maybe better as a middle name.

I think its one of those understated, classic names that won't date and really like it and its potential nns of Ellie, Ella, and Nell. Strangely, though, I'm not as keen on Helen.

Can I have your opinions please? Does anyone know any little Ellens? All views welcome.

EllenParsons Thu 15-Nov-12 01:20:39

I really like it! What made me like it is actually the character Ellen Parsons from Damages which is where I got my username from and I also like ellen de generes. I think it's a nice simple name that is pretty without being OTT. Also love Eleanor.

SomersetONeil Thu 15-Nov-12 01:42:46

I don't have any sort of opinion on it at all.

I do think that Elle (NOT Ellie!) is quite lovely, though. So, so so much nicer than twee, passive Belle.

HolyBrrrrrrBatman Thu 15-Nov-12 01:57:26

I think Ellen DeGeneres too. She is awesome though so not a bad thing.

Other than that I think it's quite nice, but not particularly exciting. I'd put it in the same bracket as Amy, Emma, Lucy, Victoria, Sarah etc although less common.

TheCatInTheHairnet Thu 15-Nov-12 02:02:54

I think it's cute!!

B1ueberryMuff1n Thu 15-Nov-12 08:49:45

When i was having my dc woman in the next bed called her daughter 'bel'. not elle, not belle just bel. I bet she is STILL saying that 7 years on.
Elle is just a bit too, not quite there. It means She doesn't it? I'd rather beautiful than 'she'. Does that sound odd to a French person?

flyoverthegoldenhill Thu 15-Nov-12 08:56:20

I know a little Ellie - and she is a sweetie - so I love it wink

I like it - but that's probably because of a lovely family relation called Ellen and I will probably give it as a middle name if I have a daughter.
I think its classic that it will sound good as an adult, but can be softened for a baby/little girl with Ellie

ReindeerBollocks Thu 15-Nov-12 11:03:01

I think of the Ellen comedienne too. However I think she's quite a strong lady who is a good role model to women.

So on that basis, yes I quite like it.

TenthMuse Thu 15-Nov-12 11:52:08

Agree with others that it's a bit nondescript compared to many other names that are popular at the moment, but on the other hand there's plenty to be said for a name that's simple, understated and easy to pronounce and spell. It's not a name that a child would have to 'live up to', or that would be likely to cause teasing etc.

Rachel130690 Thu 15-Nov-12 11:56:51

I love the name Ellen. My little cousin is called Ellen. And it's never shortened down to Ellie. To me they are two different names.

FoxyRevenger Thu 15-Nov-12 12:15:00

Hmm I think it's pretty bland, sorry. Also, there is an Ellen in my family and her nickname is Smellen

RPosieB Thu 15-Nov-12 12:38:05

I love that name. Always wanted to have it for my dd - don't know why we didn't now..... It's a lovely name.

BonaDea Thu 15-Nov-12 14:37:06

(man, everyone is discussing my favoured names today).

I love Ellen. We actually have a slight variation - Elena - on our list. Also love the shortenings, particularly Ellie.

kellyhowells82 Thu 22-Nov-12 13:27:28

I think that it's certainly a reliable name. I always think of the lead actress from Grey's Anatomy as this is her real name. I think its nice enough but think Elle is a bit nicer. On a positive note its not very popular at the moment so at least its unique

Frikadellen Thu 22-Nov-12 19:37:51

I think " oh ok" I know 3 they are all lovely girls. age 21, 10 and 2.1/2 Classic name really.

I feel it's a bit bland.

Prefer just Nell, or Eleanor, Erin

Cahooots Thu 22-Nov-12 23:14:09

I like it myself. smile. I think it is pretty.

forgetmenots Fri 23-Nov-12 08:27:54

I like it much better than the other variations. It's not a 'wow' name that no one has ever heard before but is simple, elegant and classy. Thumbs up!

lisianthus Fri 23-Nov-12 11:54:27

It reminds me of a conversation in an Agatha Christie book I once read (particularly as you also mentioned Helen). An "old school" elderly lady was bemoaning to Miss Marple about her housemaid, whose name was Helen. (it was set in the fifties so full of people getting ideas "above their station"). Anyway, the old lady said to Miss Marple "I have no idea what working class mothers are thinking these days, giving their girls [non working class] names like Helen. Of course I address her as Ellen."

I'm guessing you won't have too many other people with this particular association though grin - was just that you mentioned the two names together that reminded me!

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 24-Nov-12 15:48:38

I find Ellen dull.

But like Elin and Elinor/Eleanor.

mathanxiety Sat 24-Nov-12 17:22:45

Very early 90s.

toobreathless Sat 24-Nov-12 17:36:28

I Love Ellen.

Also love Helena.

Don't like Ella or Ellie, overused and will date IMO.

Coralanne Sun 25-Nov-12 09:37:17

I love Ellen as a name, however DD has a friend called Ellen and she went through secondary school being called Ellen Smellin.

SoupDragon Sun 25-Nov-12 09:41:06

I know one Ellen and several Ellies.

I like Ellen as it's nice and simple and classic. I don't think it's dull though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now