Barney, Monty or Freddie

(34 Posts)
IWantToGoToThere Mon 12-Nov-12 09:41:57

Am 27 weeks with DS2. DS1 is Hugo (middle name Edward) so I do like 'posh' names (if DS2 was a girl, the name was going to be Charlotte or Elizabeth).

The name on the birth certificate will be Barnaby, Montgomery or Frederick.

Which do you prefer? I know these names won't be everyone's cup of tea, but the world would be a boring place etc etc

thanks

IWantToGoToThere Thu 15-Nov-12 20:38:50

Hurrah, some Barnaby support!!

MiniTheMinx Thu 15-Nov-12 14:10:41

Why not have a Montague Frederick.......

OBface Thu 15-Nov-12 14:01:22

Love Monty. Only name in the frame should we ever have a boy.

Hope88 Thu 15-Nov-12 13:54:47

Monty!

lljkk Wed 14-Nov-12 20:47:25

Frederick is the only one I don't cringe at.

CountingSparrows Wed 14-Nov-12 20:46:50

I have a Barnaby and love it! Usually called Barney though but not by me smile

AlwaysHoldingOnToStarbug Wed 14-Nov-12 20:45:51

Barnaby/Barney! But then I am totally biased as I have one. I've only ever had one person mention the purple dinosaur to me, though maybe everyone is talking about it behind our backs.

Monty is my second favourite, I met such a cute Monty once and fell in love with the name.

Freddie last, only because it seems to have become really popular round here lately and I like less popular names.

But you have great taste in names!

IWantToGoToThere Wed 14-Nov-12 20:40:00

Thanks everyone. I still really like Barney/Barnaby so a bit sad there is not more support for it sad but am surprised Monty seems almost universally liked!! Have jinxed it now for sure, but when I first started considering Monty and read other people's threads on there, the responses were very lukewarm!

Now to try to finalise the middle name (sigh)

Popumpkin Wed 14-Nov-12 10:21:44

They are not names I would chose but I like them for other people IYSWIM smile.

I think Monty or Freddie are the nicest. Barney wouldn't be a purple dinosaur to other children any more I don't think but you would still get a lot of his friends' parents having the "what's that little boy called?" "Barney" "oh, like the purple dinosaur?" conversation grin. Although that may not bother you.

My favourite "posh" name is Jolyon, just love the sound of it although DH would never entertain the thought of using it.

cantpooinpeace Wed 14-Nov-12 10:21:36

Monty, love it grin

baskingseals Wed 14-Nov-12 10:14:24

love Monty.

crocodilesmiles Wed 14-Nov-12 08:59:17

I really like Monty. I prefer Montague to Montgomery, but I do like both. Barnaby's nicer than Freddie. For me Monty is the clear winner. smile x

SomersetONeil Mon 12-Nov-12 23:00:39

Barnaby is great, but Barnie is no good, I'm afraid. He will be destined to grow into a big old oafish buffoon of a man with a name like Barney.

Monty and Freddie are both good.

Skiffen Mon 12-Nov-12 22:54:44

Barney makes me think of Stig of the Dump and is a bit too sweet.

Freddie is v popular now, def not "posh" in the way Monty is.

Love Hugo, think Ralph, Rufus, Crispin, Gabriel, Henry, Alexander, Rory, Theodore, Benedict all go well.

MaryAstor Mon 12-Nov-12 22:46:41

Monty. By a long chalk.

sonniboo Mon 12-Nov-12 22:21:57

I think Monty and Barney are both lovely. I don't like Fred or Freddie much.

Ham69 Mon 12-Nov-12 17:00:57

Really like Monty. Not so keen on the others.

RosannaBanana Mon 12-Nov-12 16:57:55

Monty is nice and goes well with Hugo. Love Barnaby but not barney so much.

VolumeOfACone Mon 12-Nov-12 16:54:21

I dislike Freddie. Monty is your best name!

buttercrumble Mon 12-Nov-12 16:40:41

Barney and Monty are both lovely and are on my all time favorites list...

lynniep Mon 12-Nov-12 16:40:11

I like Monty. I have only ever known one (he is 11 months) and he is a total cutie so thats swayed me! I like the others too.

littletomato Mon 12-Nov-12 16:38:19

LOVE monty. prefer Montague as full name, but Montgomery is great too.

B1ueberryMuff1n Mon 12-Nov-12 16:36:24

Only Freddie out of that list. Monty sounds so silly. Like an old war hero. Barney sounds so self-consciously middle class. Might have liked Barney ten years ago though, not now.

IWantToGoToThere Mon 12-Nov-12 16:31:19

Thanks, looks like Monty is the most popular choice. I think it's the one we will end up going with as DH's heart really isn't in Barney (as much as I love it, sob) and both of us fear DS2 will become 'Fred'. We'll now have to wait and see what he 'looks' like!

bananaramma Mon 12-Nov-12 12:49:19

Love Montgomery, nickname Monty. I 'm less keen Barney or Freddie, sorry. But how about Tristan or Quentin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now