Hunter for a boy?

(43 Posts)
flowerygirl Wed 07-Nov-12 09:41:35

Hunter is a family name and I really like it.

But is it too 'hard'?! Worried it sounds a bit too much like an army general!

lisaro Wed 07-Nov-12 12:11:12

Great - as a surname. As a first name? He'll no. Awful, sounds American. Truly awful.

Asinine Wed 07-Nov-12 12:14:33

There is a writer called Hunter Davies married to Margaret Forster. How about as a middle name?

birdofthenorth Wed 07-Nov-12 12:16:32

I like it. And I'm a vegetarian, arms-hosting leftie smile

birdofthenorth Wed 07-Nov-12 12:16:53

Eek, arms-hating not arms-hosting!

TessOfTheBurbervilles Wed 07-Nov-12 12:38:52

I think it's awful.

I see it as a 'trailer trash' name.

survivingautumn Wed 07-Nov-12 12:42:50

Has no-one mentioned wellies? That's what I think of..wellies and guns.

Not for me personally but maybe because I don't know of any little boys called Hunter and I just can't see it suiting a little baby boy.

DrunkenDaisy Wed 07-Nov-12 12:50:15

I think of the gladiator who knobbed Ulrika.

Meringue33 Wed 07-Nov-12 12:59:03

I actually love it as a name and am considering it myself. But worried about the association with HST (great writer, drug abuser, gun lover, killed himself). Also synonyms: stalker, predator... sad

flowerygirl Wed 07-Nov-12 15:49:42

Haha, 'knobbed Ulrika'! Lovely choice of words!

Yeah the only thing is it wouldn't really suit a baby! I can't imagine someone 'ahhing' after they look in the pram and I say the name!

But he will only be a baby for such a tiny amount of time...better to go with something that will suit a child/adult! What with all the Charlies, Fins and Alfies-I feel boys quickly grow out of these names...

Pinkbear Wed 07-Nov-12 19:12:55

Perfect name
(For wellies or a Labrador )

Ham69 Wed 07-Nov-12 20:26:31

Fairly popular in Australia, top 50 I think. Not keen myself, would put it in the same category as that awful Nicola Maclean's son called 'Striker', poor child.

Lovely grin
It's gone on my list - am going to run it by DH when he gets home! Sorry to be a thief!!

GreatGardenstuff Wed 07-Nov-12 20:37:29

It's just too overtly macho. Horrible.

flowerygirl Wed 07-Nov-12 21:17:09

I love all these comments! BooBumpDaddyandMe, you are very welcome, glad you like the name too!

Hunter being 'overtly masculine' doesn't bother me, in fact it reassures me as I'm looking for a strong, manly name!

blondefriend Fri 09-Nov-12 23:06:08

I'm afraid I don't like it as a first name (nothing to do with guns, I don't care either way and I do like the odd bit of game occasionally) but it would make an unusual and nice middle name (especially with the family connection).

googlyeyes Sun 11-Nov-12 16:36:36

Dh's middle name is Hunter (after the ship his grandfather served on in WW2) and he has loathed it all his life.

On our wedding day he was visibly cringing having to give his full name. Ditto whenever he sent his CV off for jobs etc etc

His DM begged us to use it for our DS but it was DH that absolutely vetoed it. I thought it was cool (as a middle name!) but he said I should listen to someone who'd had to actually live with it, which I thought was fair enough!

flowerygirl Thu 15-Nov-12 18:51:07

That's funny! It's my Father in Law's middle name and it was his Dad's too. My father in law likes it as does the rest of the family on both sides.

When me and my husband got married the registrar said 'what a good name'!

Bumpstart Thu 15-Nov-12 19:43:37

A bit crazy but funny I wouldn't call my babbie that.
By baby bumpstart aged 6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now