Hermione........???

(41 Posts)
LemonLovesLilac Sun 04-Nov-12 12:58:57

I love the name Hermione, I think it both looks and sounds beautiful. The Harry Potter thing doesn't bother me at all as its not a negative association really. What I really want is to get a feel for what people think of the name and how it is perceived? Thanks in advance smile

rotavirusrita Thu 15-Nov-12 16:14:10

love it.
I have 3 boys though
I have suggested we have a fourth .... so we can try for a girl and call her herminone... I love it that much. DH was not impressed

delilah88 Thu 15-Nov-12 16:10:24

Really posh name!

COCKadoodledooo Thu 15-Nov-12 16:02:15

My car is called Hermione grin

It's a great name, I love it. Don't think my boys would have liked to be called it though!

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 14-Nov-12 10:24:50

She was,but it's been in use since Shakespeare's time,she was a character in A Winters Tale.

Loads of "upper class/traditional" names are Greek in origin,but been used to long they no longer seem "foreign" smile

maillotjaune Wed 14-Nov-12 10:20:43

But wasn't Hermione the daughter of Helen and Meneleus? So Greek not English (although as upper class as it gets). grin

SomersetONeil Wed 14-Nov-12 01:33:28

Undoubtedly middle, sonniboo. wink

FriggFRIGG Tue 13-Nov-12 14:28:36

I love it,although its a shame it's been so popularised by HP...if that doesn't bother you,go for it!

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 13-Nov-12 11:41:38

The class issue in the UK gets even more interesting outside of England because not only are there posh names there are posh English sounding names. The two are by no means equally acceptable for some! <grins>

mollymole Tue 13-Nov-12 11:33:57

Hermione is lovely - go for it !!!

sonniboo Tue 13-Nov-12 11:02:22

SomersetONeil, if I tell you that I shop both at LIDL (for all the basics) and Waitrose (for a few special treats), wear clothes from both Primark and Designer brands and my hobbies include reading and playing golf, my accent is a mixture of German/American/British (having lived in different countries) and that I went to University - what 'class' do I belong to smile. I really find this British obession with class fascinating!

SomersetONeil Mon 12-Nov-12 22:34:56

"When people insist that it is not a classless name, does this mean that people of, say, working classes can't use it"

No, there are no laws. wink

Of course it would - or could - suit anyone. Anyone can - and should -use it. But names - like pretty much everything so many things in British society - are often inextricably associated with class. This is the point being made. Hermione has middle/upper middle class associations. It's not a classless name.

Once you know which supermarket a person shops in, which newspaper they read, where they buy their clothes, what accent they have, what sports the play/follow, what hobbies they indulge in, how they decorate their house, where they holiday - and this is before we even come down to their education, what they do for a living, and how much money/assets they have(!) - you get a pretty good idea of their class. Their name is just one small stand woven into a complex picture. Practically nothing in the UK is classless, when you think about it!

It is especially pronounced in the UK, but the US also has an ingrained class system, and even my small, Antipodean country is riddled with class indicators.

maillotjaune Mon 12-Nov-12 22:03:58

I love it too. DS fell in love with a Hermione when they met, aged 2 grin and they are still very close. She is lovely and I plan to be a very good MIL to her in another 20 years or so!

I have a niece called Hermione. I love the name smile

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 12-Nov-12 12:49:30

I love Freakonomics!

bananaramma Mon 12-Nov-12 12:45:14

But these associations change over time as names move 'down the ranks' and names that used to be 'posh' no longer are today -this is well explained in Freakonomics.

Personally I love the name Hermione and couldn't care less about 'class'.

AreYouAbleMabel Mon 12-Nov-12 12:33:35

I think they mean that it is highly associated with a particular class and that people may presume a child with that name comes from a particular background

poppydaisy Mon 12-Nov-12 11:15:49

When people insist that it is not a classless name, does this mean that people of, say, working classes can't use it confused? I think Hermione is a beautiful name that would suit any girl or woman.

(but then I'm not British and really don't get this class obsession....)

SomersetONeil Sat 10-Nov-12 07:10:20

It is definitely not a classless name, in the UK at least. Perhaps the person who said that, meant to say timeless...?

It's a lovely, melodic name - I really like it.

blondefriend Fri 09-Nov-12 22:50:23

My daughter's middle name is Hermione. I love it and it means "daughter of Helen" - that's me in case you didn't guess. It's a beautiful name but then I'm biased.

poppydaisy Fri 09-Nov-12 10:47:21

I love it. What's wrong with posh? Better than chav!

AlwaysHoldingOnToStarbug Wed 07-Nov-12 20:45:31

I love it, and i loved it before Harry Potter. I never had a girl, but it was always high on my girls list.

DottieRose Wed 07-Nov-12 16:09:55

I think it is posh in a good way!

MyLastDuchess Wed 07-Nov-12 16:06:16

I love it, I went to school with a Hermione and always adored her name.

I don't want to use it for my new DD though due to the HP association. Otherwise I think I would choose it.

Lebkuchenfan Wed 07-Nov-12 14:58:41

I love the name Hermione. Classic and underused. Is 'posh' negative in any way confused? I seem to love 'posh' names!

Pasiphae Wed 07-Nov-12 14:24:51

Great name. Definitely elegant.
I think it was "posh" but has recently been popularised by Harry Potter.
Cool choice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now