Hermione........???

(41 Posts)
LemonLovesLilac Sun 04-Nov-12 12:58:57

I love the name Hermione, I think it both looks and sounds beautiful. The Harry Potter thing doesn't bother me at all as its not a negative association really. What I really want is to get a feel for what people think of the name and how it is perceived? Thanks in advance smile

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 04-Nov-12 13:00:05

I love it! It's just a beautiful name.

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 04-Nov-12 13:19:36

It's lovely, really pretty and classless.

sliceofcakenowplease Sun 04-Nov-12 16:23:40

It's quite pretty. I know a little girl called Hermione, she's just turned two, and she goes by Minnie or Mione, both of which are beautiful nicknames. I also know an adult called Hermione, so pre-Harry Potter. If I imagined a girl called Hermione, I'd imagine a quieter girl, quite pretty but not much more, it's a really classless and beautiful name. (Off that subject, I know a boy called Draco. Poor kid!)

Jakeyblueblue Sun 04-Nov-12 16:34:36

Love it. Would use it if I have a dd next but dh Hates it. It beautifulsmile

oreocrumbs Sun 04-Nov-12 16:36:05

Love it, DD would have been Hermione but DP wasn't keen.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 04-Nov-12 16:36:40

Funny, I completely disagree with posters above that it's 'classless'. To me, it's a posh name: I wouldn't have come across anyone of that name (except in books) until adulthood and so would have had no clue how to pronounce it. The Harry Potter connection has solved that issue, certainly, but 'classless' is about the last thing I'd describe it as. That aside, I do think it's quite a pretty name.

nooka Sun 04-Nov-12 16:45:02

I agree with TheGirl, generally speaking this is a more upper than lower class type name, although HP might have changed that I guess . Personally I am not at all keen on Hermione, I just don't like the way it sounds, it's got a bit of a moany sort of tone in my mind. Not that that should influence you mind smile

MonsterBookOfTyFawkes Sun 04-Nov-12 16:50:39

I love it, I wanted Hermione but Dh was certain with his no due to Harry Potter connection grin

Everlong Sun 04-Nov-12 17:03:40

I used to love it before Harry Potter.

Now, not so much.

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Sun 04-Nov-12 18:10:20

Love it, really pretty

I really like it.

HarlettOScara Sun 04-Nov-12 21:25:17

I love it and considered it for DD but we're not posh enough to carry it off and it didn't go with the surname.

Wallison Sun 04-Nov-12 21:30:33

I love it because it's so pretty and substantial and in fact it was my name of choice until I found out I was having a boy. So I am always keen that other people use it because I couldn't!

I definitely agree that it isn't classless but that's no bad thing - I mean, nothing wrong with aspirations. I am not posh at all but my son has quite posh names - for eg when I was in hospital the cleaner came into the room and was all coo-ing over him and asked me what his name was. When I told her, she said "Ooh, he'll have a good job!" smile

DottieRose Tue 06-Nov-12 16:22:49

I really like it! So pretty but strong!

sonniebonnie Wed 07-Nov-12 13:37:25

Lovely, elegant name. Yes, it is posh but that is only a good thing imo smile.

Pasiphae Wed 07-Nov-12 14:24:51

Great name. Definitely elegant.
I think it was "posh" but has recently been popularised by Harry Potter.
Cool choice!

Lebkuchenfan Wed 07-Nov-12 14:58:41

I love the name Hermione. Classic and underused. Is 'posh' negative in any way confused? I seem to love 'posh' names!

MyLastDuchess Wed 07-Nov-12 16:06:16

I love it, I went to school with a Hermione and always adored her name.

I don't want to use it for my new DD though due to the HP association. Otherwise I think I would choose it.

DottieRose Wed 07-Nov-12 16:09:55

I think it is posh in a good way!

AlwaysHoldingOnToStarbug Wed 07-Nov-12 20:45:31

I love it, and i loved it before Harry Potter. I never had a girl, but it was always high on my girls list.

poppydaisy Fri 09-Nov-12 10:47:21

I love it. What's wrong with posh? Better than chav!

blondefriend Fri 09-Nov-12 22:50:23

My daughter's middle name is Hermione. I love it and it means "daughter of Helen" - that's me in case you didn't guess. It's a beautiful name but then I'm biased.

SomersetONeil Sat 10-Nov-12 07:10:20

It is definitely not a classless name, in the UK at least. Perhaps the person who said that, meant to say timeless...?

It's a lovely, melodic name - I really like it.

poppydaisy Mon 12-Nov-12 11:15:49

When people insist that it is not a classless name, does this mean that people of, say, working classes can't use it confused? I think Hermione is a beautiful name that would suit any girl or woman.

(but then I'm not British and really don't get this class obsession....)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now