Emerald

(56 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Fri 02-Nov-12 18:22:35

Still trying to finalise our girls names short list (keep changing my mind!) & not seen any threads specifically on this name.

What do you think? Is it OTT or nice? Shortened to Emmie. Would be with, probably, Juliet or Elise as mn.

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 24-Nov-12 09:23:19

Oh marvellous - Jacqueline Wilson's just published a book with a heroine called Emerald & it's all over the tv for Christmas. Does that mean this name's suddenly going to have a popularity surge? How annoying....

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 20-Nov-12 23:06:19

We'd be fine with it shortened to Emer or Eme (Emma / Emmie)

getagoldtoof Sun 18-Nov-12 18:43:08

i love it. might be known as emma though, which may not be as unusual as you were hoping for.

CombustionEngine Thu 08-Nov-12 09:10:24

I think Emerald Elise would be a lovely name!

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Wed 07-Nov-12 19:07:05

I've got an idea "Aymeraude" is a medieval spelling, rather than something totally made up. Not that that's a good reason to use it!

I love Emerald. Much cooler than Emilia.

autumnfrost Wed 07-Nov-12 17:47:52

YAY! gorgeous

BoyMeetsWorld Wed 07-Nov-12 17:23:18

How about green eyes & red hair? (the likely combo!)

autumnfrost Wed 07-Nov-12 16:38:54

I like it but she has to have green eyes and black hair for it to work!

FrothyOM Wed 07-Nov-12 16:25:01

It's lovely

diddl Wed 07-Nov-12 16:16:28

I like Emmie.

Like Elise more.

Pasiphae Wed 07-Nov-12 14:56:00

I like this one a lot.
Yes, it's a bit "princess" but I like that, because it also feels like a very calm and quiet name. You need that princess side to mess it up a bit.... Not sure I make sense.
I do know one, but spelt Aymeraude, which is awful.

StrawWars Tue 06-Nov-12 21:34:55

Topaz is very Mills & Boon.

Emerald... I fear it would get shortened to "Em-rawld" in the playgorund, and the two syllable version isn't as easy on the ear.

ChoccyJules Tue 06-Nov-12 21:29:24

It's lovely. And far less popular (ie ubiquitous) than Emilia. Go for it!

baskingseals Tue 06-Nov-12 21:25:59

oh i love love Emerald. beautiful name. i also like Topaz. totally agree with other posters - why is Ruby acceptable, but other jewel names are not? very strange.

congratulations and i hope you choose it - it really is lovely.

Crikeyblimey Tue 06-Nov-12 21:22:32

Our waitress the other night was called Emerald and even ds (aged 9) said "that's a pretty name". I quite like it. Did make menwonder though why Ruby gets to he a name but not Diamond. Just me musing.

If you like it - go for it.

zozzle Tue 06-Nov-12 21:17:44

Love it!

LuckyOwl28 Tue 06-Nov-12 20:34:17

I can't believe how cutting some people on this forum. I'm sure all their children have the most PERFECT names wink

It's a striking, unusual name and I love Emmie too.

If you love it, go for it! It's a name that stands out and has lovely, grand connotations. As it's a long name I personally one suggest a one syllable middle name eg. Emerald Rose but of course that's down to you!

My friend named her daughter Ocean and got a lot of stick from her family before she was born, but now everyone loves it and she always gets compliments for having such an unusual, pretty name. Emerald will be the same i'm sure!

Congrats by the way grin

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 06-Nov-12 20:24:18

Thanks for more thoughts smile this one has really grown on me, I'm becoming more fixed on it...DH less so, he prefers Emilia which I really like too, but I def do not want a super popular name for our child. Only because I was one of about 5 with my name in every class and I hated it.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 06-Nov-12 11:10:25

I quite like it! If Ruby is acceptable why not Emerald?

Of the names on your list I think Esmerelda might be a bit much. Don't like Juliana at all (sorry!).

Emilia or Emerald are the best two I think.

Spagbolisbetter Tue 06-Nov-12 11:07:37

I am a bit of a plain Jane when it comes to naming children, but when I saw this thread title I thought "OOh I like it!". It is really pretty and unusual but not too ridiculous.
Emerald Juliet is lovely.

Ohsiena Tue 06-Nov-12 09:04:07

I wouldn't choose it myself, bit I think if I met an Emerald idnthink 'oh what a lovely name'.

I know a Sapphire. First thought when finding out the baby's name was a 'ooh not sure' but now think it seems like a lovely name for her, and unusual if that's what you're looking for.

aufaniae Tue 06-Nov-12 00:24:27

I used to know a really nice girl called Emerald.

Lovely name smile

Pixieonthemoor Mon 05-Nov-12 18:22:26

Love it! Emerald Cunard!! It's all a bit Downton without being too Downton iykwim.

AgathaTrunchbull Sat 03-Nov-12 23:16:40

Esmeralda and Juliana are perfectly sensible and lovely and rather different to Emerald in species. Emerald is fine, but it's quite a statement, so why shorten it?

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 03-Nov-12 22:53:08

I like it, but probably wouldn't be brave enough to use it as its a bit of a marmite name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now