Names DP has come up with...

(67 Posts)
Snowflakepie Tue 23-Oct-12 11:17:39

...and you just cannot stand? Still early days for us but before we knew DD was a girl, DH came up with Tennyson for a boy. I thought he was joking and just laughed, but he was serious. Is there hope for this poor DC?! We've already had the 'no to Tennyson' conversation just to get it out of the way!

At the moment dp is going for Arden, darragh, Blaine or Rowen. I'm not in agreement.

lottiegarbanzo Wed 24-Oct-12 16:10:35

Also something beginning with Wolf (it seems to be a theme), though he knew he was joking.

Pudgy2011 Wed 24-Oct-12 16:45:12

DH suggested Fraser Jnr, Elvis II or Frank II after our dogs. I like to think he wasn't serious but he suggested DS's eventual name which we both loved so I let him off.
I'm sure if we fall pregnant again, those three names will be top of his list again. Can you imagine if I said "yeah, cool, lets name our baby Elvis" - actually, I might try it and see what happens...

elvisola Wed 24-Oct-12 16:57:12

Conan for a boy ( he was deadly serious!) and Alison for a girl.

Dp wanted Loren for a boy or Nevaeh for a girl.

I had to namechange start thread on here so he could see just how awful Nevaeh is.

chipsandmushypeas Wed 24-Oct-12 17:31:41

DP wanted Marius for a boy. No.

HappyHippyChick Wed 24-Oct-12 17:43:01

I wanted dc3 and dh didn't, so we negotiated and I agreed if it was a boy he could call him Chester after his football team! Sadly for potential baby Chester, Davina McCall (whom Dh loathes with a burning passion, no idea why) called her baby Chester, Result!

We do have Taka (after the bassist from Feeder) as a middle name for ds4, which did raise a couple of eyebrows at the christening!

Lancelottie Wed 24-Oct-12 17:45:58

I look forward to a new generation of Alisons with litlle brothers called Wolf.

Notnowcato Thu 25-Oct-12 14:34:28

The trick is to go along with it until the birth. Then, immediately post birth say: "Darling, s/he looks just like a Nnnnnnn, don't you think?"

On no account let him decide. You will just have to go through lengthy and time-consuming name changes at a later date (because you will never accept a a name you don't like). We did!

shinyblackgrape Thu 25-Oct-12 14:43:37

not - thank you for the tip!

DH has suggested a short list of three names. Very sensible - but we can't agree on the three names!

Flickdrinkwater Thu 25-Oct-12 20:18:23

My DH wanted hector for a boy, luckily it's a girl!

Flickdrinkwater Thu 25-Oct-12 20:19:28

Happyhippychick- taka is an otters names isn't it?

thegreylady Thu 25-Oct-12 20:26:38

My dh wanted Chad for ds!

Skivvytomany Thu 25-Oct-12 20:32:31

My dh wanted Calvin as in Calvin and Hobbes the cartoon strip. confused

Looster Thu 25-Oct-12 20:39:16

DH wanted Rocky or Redmond if it was a boy....surname is Cook. My Dad suggested Redmond Stedman Cook - Ready Steady Cook for short! grin

trikken Thu 25-Oct-12 20:44:13

Dh wanted Harrison, which isnt too bad, OR Indiana. she was a girl tho.

TheReturnOfBridezilla Thu 25-Oct-12 20:48:18

DH once mentioned that he quite liked Jayden.
He also brought up a few American names that were actually surnames at which point I started to doubt our whole relationship. grin
I must remind him of that actually.

Yika Thu 25-Oct-12 20:51:32

I actually like some of these! Bernice is lovely for example. Humphrey and Davinia on the other hand ... My now XDP suggested Sharon for DD. to be fair, it sounds pretty in french and doesn't have any particular social connotation here in Belgium.
Several decades ago meanwhile, my dear dad suggested Clarence or Maurice for my little bro. Good thing my mum was there!

JasperStreet Thu 25-Oct-12 20:53:03

DH suggested Brian. He said Brians tend to be good blokes. He has since lost his right to name any future children.

Not my DH, but my male co worker wanted to call his DD Murbella confused
(turned out to be a fake girlfriend and pregnancy, and then he told everyone he'd died, he was just a bit of an odd ball really...)

PinkSoccerMum Thu 25-Oct-12 20:58:03

Rocky, Carlisle, Gene grin

HappyHippyChick Thu 25-Oct-12 22:54:25

Flick I think the otter was Tarka. Taka is like tacky but with an a! classy

Em2010 Thu 25-Oct-12 23:03:28

When I first met dh he wanted 3 boys- to be called Ashley, Andre and Pedro.... (Dh is English) hmm Needless to say our ds1 is called James!

mathanxiety Fri 26-Oct-12 04:40:42

Colmcille, if any of the last three had been boys. What a lucky escape.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 26-Oct-12 08:06:16

OH suggests names like Ruth. I like names like Aurelia. I foresee tantrums discussions taking place at some point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now