Gabriel or Henry?

(33 Posts)
echidnakid Mon 15-Oct-12 11:22:48

I think we have narrowed down our boy's name choice to either Gabriel or Henry and would love some feedback please. Which do you prefer?

DD1 is Agatha so we want the name to fit with that as well as being a great name on its own.

Thanks!

echidnakid Mon 15-Oct-12 23:02:43

I can't believe how popular Henry is in the UK! I still love it though.

PickledFanjoCat Mon 15-Oct-12 22:34:05

Over here it's about 25th in the top 100.

About the same as Henry!

echidnakid Mon 15-Oct-12 22:32:09

PFC My friend has a two year old Arthur and he's such a little card, it really suits him. I love Alexander but its popularity worries me, especially when added to all the Alexes and Lexis etc that come from other names.

Liam is really popular here, also Lachlan.

I suppose having at least two names that we love is a good position to be in, I shouldn't complain!

PickledFanjoCat Mon 15-Oct-12 22:24:54

Thomas and Alexander are on my list.

With Henry I knew it was the name I wanted but nothing is grabbing me now!

I think Alexander is quite likely.

gumbo611 Mon 15-Oct-12 22:24:26

I have a Henry, not so common here, and he is such a character, great name. I also have an Albert. Like Gabriel tho also.

echidnakid Mon 15-Oct-12 22:20:30

The actual RL popularity of the name seems to differ a fair bit from those "top 100" lists. Henry is higher than Gabriel on the Australian list but I am yet to meet a single one, (either Henry or Gabriel) of any age!

DH thinks Rufus is a dog's name - sigh.

We had a longer list which included Benedict, Patrick, Solomon, Alexander, Theodore and Thomas but we have been ruling them out for various reasons and Gabriel and Henry managed to hang on.

With Agatha we just knew it was the ONE, although I think we are prepared to be a bit braver with girls names for some reason. I don't feel the ONE is out there for a boy.

KenandDeirdre Mon 15-Oct-12 22:11:43

I love both and I am bloomin' hard to please!

Henry obviously not Hebry.
The aforementioned has had me up at 430 am every day for almost two weeks now (don't let that put you off..) grin

PickledFanjoCat Mon 15-Oct-12 21:58:38

I've actually met a few Gabriel's at baby groups but no Henry's.

How about rufus?

I have a ten month old Hebry who is very very lovely and we haven't met another Henry yet.
Lots and lots of Harrys though.
Also like Gabriel

Gabriel is fab! :-)

PickledFanjoCat Mon 15-Oct-12 21:49:55

I'm thinking of names for second ds along your lines op!

I love Gabriel too but it's already been used.

I really like Arthur but I'm not sure.

PickledFanjoCat Mon 15-Oct-12 21:48:34

Henry's not too popular where I am either.

I only know one, mine!

I'm really pleased with it, suits him and there are lots of amusing variations.

echidnakid Mon 15-Oct-12 21:36:37

Forgot to say not too common as part of the criteria too!

echidnakid Mon 15-Oct-12 21:34:45

Thanks for all the feedback. We live in Australia and Henry isn't common here.

It's so hard to find a boys name that fits the same criteria as Agatha - old fashioned, classy and a bit quirky without crossing into "couldn't do it to a child" territory like Cecil!

Thanks for the suggestions bigbluebump but they're not our style, sorry.

tammy234 Mon 15-Oct-12 14:57:20

Gabriel. Henry is too common, especially compared to a beautiful name as Agatha.

bigbluebump Mon 15-Oct-12 14:44:36

Agree that Henry and Harry have become SO popular that it is a little dull. He will likely have to add his surname initial or other modifier to identify himself.

Gabriel is much more interesting, more like Agatha, which is lovely, classic and not overused.

Or how about
Agatha & Marcus
Agatha & Quentin
Agatha & Tristan
Agatha & Miles

Gabriel is lovely, Henry is nice but not as beautiful and stylish as Gabriel.

MorallyBankrupt Mon 15-Oct-12 14:04:48

Henry is very very popular and IMO seems a little lacking in imagination, especially with a name like Agatha.

I would go for Gabriel, life is too short to be one of 6 children with the same name in your class!

Flyingfruit Mon 15-Oct-12 13:48:11

Henry

lottiegarbanzo Mon 15-Oct-12 13:47:34

Gabriel, I think it's lovely, also Gabe. It has a similar 'nice but uncommon' rating to Agatha I think. Henry is popular now and will be quite common for his age group. Agatha and Gabriel is a mouthful (though don't see that as a real issue) but Gabe n Aggie isn't!

Mollydoggerson Mon 15-Oct-12 13:42:30

I reaally like both, think Henry and Agatha flow better than Gabriel and Agatha, but both are lovely.

issimma Mon 15-Oct-12 13:39:29

Gabriel, especially if due in December. I love it, haven't met any others (and am cross DH has vetoed it, or Gabriella, for DC2!).

I have met lots of Henrys under the age of one this year, so that would put me off.

MoonHare Mon 15-Oct-12 13:31:47

They're quite different names I think. Henry is very common whereas Gabriel is more unusual (in RL anyway) as is Agatha. In your shoes I'd go with Gabriel.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 15-Oct-12 12:25:04

Henry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now