Rebecca - abbreviations

(32 Posts)
issimma Mon 15-Oct-12 00:00:18

I love the name Rebecca, but am less keen on Becky and Becca (alliterative w surname). Are there any other abbreviations? Am I imagining Bee? Ideally she'd be known as Rebecca, but just wanted to see what other short versions, if any, there are.

BexGershon Sat 20-Oct-12 18:16:38

Rebecca is a lovely name but people love to shorten it!! I am always a Bex and LOTHE Becky.
Rivkah is my Hebrew name (I'm Jewish so name an English and Hebrew name) and only family use it, friends sometimes call me Rivvy.

If you like the name Rivkah I think it would be nicer than the name Rebecca as the story of Rivkah in the old testament is just so very lovely!!! Xxx

youarewinning Mon 15-Oct-12 21:29:05

Well I never there are 54 variants if Rebecca! www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Rebecca

youarewinning Mon 15-Oct-12 21:26:19

From title I came to say Becca as I love that most of shorted versions. I see you don't!

How about spelling Rebecca one of the alternative ways and seeing what nn you can get from that?

The only other spellings I can think of are Rebekah and Reebeca. I guess the second could be a Ree?

I

BananaPhone Mon 15-Oct-12 21:22:23

You know, I think that Rebecca is one of those names with obvious shortenings (Becky, Becca) which depite this, it is actually unusual for it to be shortened against the owner's (or owners parents) will.

If someone does take it into their head to start Beckying uninvited, they usually respond to a simple, 'I prefer Rebecca'.

I'm a teacher and have taught lots of Rebeccas (and Beckys and Beccas.)

Dogsmom Mon 15-Oct-12 16:47:15

I'm a 70's child so had quite a few Rebeccas in my year at school and they were mostly Bec. I am good friends however with a 50+ year old Rebecca and it's never shortened, if anyone ever shortened it she just said 'I prefer Rebecca' and everyone repected her wishes.

Notnowcato Mon 15-Oct-12 16:44:43

I think Beccy or Becca might be inevitable by secondary school, unless something different was established early on and firmly. In my [not very extensive] experience, children often go for shortened versions of their names at secondary. And if it is ever so slightly not what their parents like, then so much the better. Rebecca is a gorgeous name. Go for it, but get Bee established as a nickname early on.

I'm a Rebecca, and of course, am also lovely! grin

Over the years I have had a variety of abbreviations:
Bec
Bex
Becky
Becca
Bexter
Plus a load related to my surnames.

With parents it's generally been Bec, work usually Rebecca and school and uni, becky or Bex. Never Bee though!

I have to say, I do like my name, it's a good solid choice! grin

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Oct-12 16:18:17

Great name grin

Not me, but I know of two Rebecca's who have the NN Boo. Becky-Boo?

Bex, Becca and Becky are deffo the default. Although I love Rebecca as a stand alone name.

lakeofshiningwaters Mon 15-Oct-12 16:13:51

Yes, you can be a Bee! My sis is and she's fab smile

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Mon 15-Oct-12 14:51:40

If you are just 'less keen' on Becky then I wouldn't worry too much. If you actively dislike it, don't use it! Whilst it is possible to control your children's nicknames to some extent whilst they are children, as adults it isn't.

My brother uses a nickname for his name which my mother actively dislikes (it's not a name with a totally obvious nickname and she just hadn't thought of shortening it this way) and it really annoys her. For this reason I ditched Elizabeth, as I like many of the nicknames but don't like Liz.

bigbluebump Mon 15-Oct-12 14:40:34

Most Rebeccas tend to be known as Becci or Becca in my experience. Even if always call her Rebecca, chances are her friends will shorten her name.

annelid Mon 15-Oct-12 14:12:16

We have a Rebekah, and she is generally called Bekah by her siblings, although I use her full name.

WeatherWitch Mon 15-Oct-12 13:34:12

A friend of mine is known as Bee to husband and closest friends, and we used to call her Rebel. But she keeps complaining that everyone at work has started calling her Becky despite only ever introducing herself as Rebecca. It is a beautiful name but people seem to be completely incapable of leaving it alone and unabbreviated.

bruffin Mon 15-Oct-12 13:30:04

DD gets called Becky, Becca, Becks, or Beccabop.

I know a Rebbie.

uggmum Mon 15-Oct-12 13:24:21

I shorten by name to Bec or Becca. I'm not keen on Becky though. I'm only called Rebecca in formal situations

Absy Mon 15-Oct-12 13:21:47

Rivkah is the Hebrew version of Rebecca

straighttohellymelly Mon 15-Oct-12 13:18:59

I had a friend Rebecca at school and she was always known as Rebel!

Arcadie Mon 15-Oct-12 13:13:43

I also am a Rebecca and co-incidentally am also lovely. Went through an awful phase of being known as Bexi. Don't do it.

I think there's a very good chance that she'd end up being known as Becky however hard you tried. Which is, of course, an awesome name! wink

Most of my friends know me as Becki but a fair few go with Bex (which I don't particularly like, but it makes them feel as though they are addressing me with a term of endearment so it's special for that reason.

manicinsomniac Mon 15-Oct-12 13:08:43

I have a feeling you can use Rivkah, although can't for the life of me remeber how or why.

I've spent years trying to avoid being Becky but it often happens anyway. I don't mind Becca too much but don't like Bex. The worst I have ever had are Rebecky and Reebok

AnyaKnowIt Mon 15-Oct-12 13:07:16

My name is Rebecca and its true, I am lovely grin

I usually answer to Bex or Becca, I hate being called Becky. Never heard of Reb or Reba

MoelFammau Mon 15-Oct-12 13:03:57

I was going to say Reba too.

TheCatInTheHairnet Mon 15-Oct-12 02:06:40

To my last post, I have just realised that one of my favourite couples are called Becky and Matt! See... two names you really can't go wrong with!!

differentnameforthis Mon 15-Oct-12 01:25:44

She also calls her bec-de-boops, which is a huge mouthful. Rebecca is a beautiful name!

differentnameforthis Mon 15-Oct-12 01:23:26

I know a Rebecca who is called Reba.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now