Is Daisy a serious enough name?

(37 Posts)
wildpoppy Fri 12-Oct-12 15:47:21

I am worried it fails the PM or plumber name. But I like it.

LJBrownie Mon 15-Oct-12 15:13:54

My DD is called Daisy and she means business! I work in finance and can completely imagine my boss talking to a Daisy across the Boardroom table in a serious capacity. It's hardly like being called Chardonnay...

Notnowcato Mon 15-Oct-12 15:25:43

Daisy is FINE. Nice name. She could be anyone with that name.

Mind you, wouldn't work in my family as my mother-in-law is addicted to saying 'oops-a-daisy!' hundreds of times a day.

Haberdashery Mon 15-Oct-12 15:34:13

It's a lovely name. If you're looking for a serious name, Daisy is not it. But I seriously doubt that it will prevent your daughter doing anything she chooses with her future. There are names in existence that may fail the CV test for employers who have fixed ideas but Daisy is not one of them.

Polipencoch Mon 15-Oct-12 17:06:04

I think Daisy is nice - its on our shortlist. Possibly with Rowan or Erin as a middle name. We definitely fancied a botanical name. I think it could be serious enough. Surely its also possible for people to lengthen their names if they wanted - so Daisy could choose to be Margaret/ Marguerite if she really wanted when older.

halloweeneyqueeney Mon 15-Oct-12 17:13:35

of course it's not going to hold back someone who is very determined and driven, but the name itself will never sound like a proper adults name to me, no matter how many of them there are in the future because there are names that were common when I was growing up that still sound twee to me

Yes there are Dr Daisys, but it's noticible IYKWIM because it sounds a bit like a children's story, you don't take note of the many other serious sounding doctors names you hear in the same way. Thats not to say the name will prevent you from being a doctor, just to me it'll always sound a bit too cutesy

I think it sounds lovely and sweet, and was my GMs NN, but its too.. girly and flowery for a real name in my mind and I'ld hate to be stuck with it as a full given first name

Lovethesea Mon 15-Oct-12 17:34:45

Too girly for me.

colditz Mon 15-Oct-12 17:36:11

No. Call her Margaret.

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 15-Oct-12 17:56:29

The trouble for me with all this lot is they jar if they don't suit.

I know two Rosemarys. The one nn Rosie is petite, beautiful and sweet, also bright and quite spiky if necessary. It suites her perfectly.

Rosemary at work was cold professional and a bit of a jobs worth, if you called her Rosie she exploded.

At least they had the choice of a less cute form. If you simply use Lily, Poppy or Daisy your DD is lumbered.

halloweeneyqueeney Mon 15-Oct-12 18:37:03

I went to school with a Rosie who was a goth, I think at times she went OTT with the goth stuff to compensate for her name IYKWIM (writing stuff in blood in class on front of everyone etc)

KenandDeirdre Mon 15-Oct-12 20:57:29

No it isn't. Sorry - I don't think of it as a 'proper' name.

mathanxiety Tue 16-Oct-12 04:04:44

Or you could go with Mairéad, Irish for Margaret.

OldCatLady Tue 16-Oct-12 14:36:44

I know two Daisy's, one is a very successful lawyer and the other a paediatrician! I don't think it's a silly name at all! I think it's gorgeous, feminine, classic and cute!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now