Is Daisy a serious enough name?

(37 Posts)
wildpoppy Fri 12-Oct-12 15:47:21

I am worried it fails the PM or plumber name. But I like it.

MoonHare Fri 12-Oct-12 16:02:15

It's pretty but not a bit serious imo but a person is more than just their name and she might have enough gravitas in her own right for it not to hinder her.

plutocrap Fri 12-Oct-12 16:06:33

There's always Margaret or Marguerite, which are shortened to Daisy.

manicinsomniac Fri 12-Oct-12 16:42:54

well it's a top 20 name and it's been popular for a while so, by the time our children are adults, it will be a totally serious name.

It's not to my taste particularly but it's pretty enough and I definitely see it as a name in its own right.

honoraglossop Fri 12-Oct-12 16:48:30

I may out myself here but I know a Dr Daisy <surname> and she is very good.

( FYI if you are worried about seriousness of name you can search the GMC medical register online by "given name" to find how many doctors with that name are working in the uk)

CharlieBoo Fri 12-Oct-12 17:05:05

Of course it is!!! It's beautiful!!

No imo, it's too cutesy for a grown woman.

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 12-Oct-12 17:22:04

Not serious enough for me.

My name didn't sound serious when combined with my maiden name (bit rhymey and silly) and its amazing the difference in the reception you get when you can make your name sound like you mean difference (like I can now with my married name). I know its surnames but the surnames made how my first name sound come across differently - one was a bit silly and current one can sound like a headmistress if you say it in the right tone grin - v useful!

YouMayLogOut Fri 12-Oct-12 18:13:21

Yes, it's absolutely fine. Lovely name smile

Teamthrills Fri 12-Oct-12 19:57:38

Not really a serious name.

I thought it was a cutesy baby name til I watched Spaced.

crazygracieuk Fri 12-Oct-12 20:03:44

I think that flower based names are either cheerful and friendly or very serious.
I'd put names like Daisy and Rosie in the first category and names like Iris and Primrose in the second but I might be influenced by the people I know with these names so I could be talking bollocks.

purplehouse Fri 12-Oct-12 20:06:35

It's been used so much that it will have to be a "serious" name when today's babies are grown up.

lola88 Fri 12-Oct-12 20:08:01

My friend has little girl called Daisy, she is a very bubbly chatty slightly wild child and everyone calls her Crazy Daisy. It drives her mother mad.

goldygumdrops Fri 12-Oct-12 20:11:35

I agree that by the time our children grow up it will be a very 'normal' name. Its lovely. Why shouldn't women have pretty names anyway?

EvilTwins Fri 12-Oct-12 20:12:56

My DTD1 is Daisy. She has a more serious middle name if she wants to use it.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Fri 12-Oct-12 20:30:56

Yes I think it is. I think it's been used as a name in it's own right for long enough and is popular enough to have surpassed the baby name/nickname category.

I would prefer something more serious for my daughter, but it is not too bad. Much, much better than Poppy or Lilly, for example.

SomersetONeil Sat 13-Oct-12 01:48:18

I think it will be a normal enough name by the time she's an adult, but it's not to my taste as it lacks substance.

MolotovBomb Sat 13-Oct-12 17:54:36

It's nice enough, but a bit middle of the road IMHO.

mathanxiety Mon 15-Oct-12 05:39:33

No.

Anste Mon 15-Oct-12 05:46:01

Lovely for a baby, not particularly for an adult.

Zara1984 Mon 15-Oct-12 05:59:51

Lovely name but as others have said, not serious enough for an adult! Daisy and Polly are two of my favourite girls' names but wouldn't use them for that reason.

Can u use as a nickname?

ThursdayWillBeTheDay Mon 15-Oct-12 06:39:16

Apparently it's not. Although mine is studying to be a zoologist/etymologist.

She didn't fancy plumbing. Not that I would have given a diddly if she had. She'd have earned more with her hand down people's lavvies, after all.

halloweeneyqueeney Mon 15-Oct-12 12:53:24

I do not think that popularity or normality changes a name and makes it serious. Tracys still didn't sound serious even when there were tonnes of them!
Daisy will still sound like Daisy even if you meet 10 of them a day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now