Is Daisy only nickname for Margaret?

(16 Posts)
wildpoppy Thu 11-Oct-12 17:02:50

Or could it be nickname for anything else?

I was going to say that Peggy's also a nickname, but you meant Daisy being linked to something else, not another name for Margaret.

I'm not aware of Daisy being anything other than a name in its own right, and had to look it up on the internet to see that it was a nickname for Margaret. It's because the french name for Oxeye Daisy, Marguerite, is also the French version of Margaret.

Would Marguerite be better than Margaret? Why can't you have Daisy as a name in its own right?

wildpoppy Thu 11-Oct-12 17:10:42

Yes sorry Babylon, bad phrasing. What else could be full name with nn Daisy? Like Daisy but bit convinced it is a full name.

VerySmallSqueak Thu 11-Oct-12 17:11:29

I would never have thought Daisy was a nickname for anything.
I learn something new every day on MN it seems.

wildpoppy Thu 11-Oct-12 17:11:40

Not, not bit.

I don't think it fulfills the plumber or prime minister test - is a bit girly for a serious job.

Gugglebum Fri 12-Oct-12 05:37:44

My son's neurologist's first name is Kindra. I think it's a bit childish sounding, not a 'serious' name, but it didn't stop her becoming a neurologist. There's another professional (albeit in the entertainment industry on the production side) my DH has come across through work, named Pixie. She's one of the higher-ups, so really I don't see any name, unless it's utterly ridiculous, stopping somebody becoming whatever they want to be. So I am in the camp of Daisy standing alone just fine. smile

CheungFun Fri 12-Oct-12 14:37:36

I don't think you need to use the name Maragret if you want to call your dd Daisy, call her Daisy smile

squoosh Fri 12-Oct-12 14:56:10

Margot?

mumnosbest Fri 12-Oct-12 15:00:22

if you can have rose; poppy, iris. why not daisy?

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 12-Oct-12 15:01:53

Don't like daisy - sorry - agree it is girly

Puremince Mon 15-Oct-12 10:40:48

My great-aunt was named Jessie, but she mis-pronounced it as a small child and was known as Daisy all her life. Another family member was named Daisy after her.

I've never thought of it as a a girly, or not serious, name because I grew up knowing a sensible, elderly one.

pinkandyellowbutterfly Mon 15-Oct-12 23:40:23

Daisy does derive from Margaret - i remember reading it in the classic novel Little Women and good wives. Nowadays little girls can be christened Daisy so don't worry too much.

BackforGood Mon 15-Oct-12 23:51:17

If I wanted my dd to be called Daisy, then I think I'd have to call her Daisy. I mean, it's not (or wasn't!) a name I'd choose, but these days it does stand as a name on it's own and I think it wouild cause confusion if she was Margaret on official paperwork, but everyone called her Daisy.... it's not like 'Maggie' or something that is obviously likely to be a nn for a Margaret.

womma Sat 20-Oct-12 00:08:23

How on earth would your first affect what job you do?

womma Sat 20-Oct-12 00:09:08

...first name...it's late!

TheEnthusiasticTroll Sat 20-Oct-12 00:13:25

Peggy, meg and maggie nn for Margaret

Is daisy a nn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now