Aldous? Lucas? something else? help!

(16 Posts)
TerrorCottaPumpkinPie Thu 11-Oct-12 20:50:21

Does anyone else keep reading Marlon as Marion? Until i realsied I was thinking why do you want to call a DS that? grin

Love Lucas and Luke.

Don't like Aldous at all and like Marlon even less, sorry.

Atticus?

Love Aldous! It doesn't work in my native language, otherwise I would seriously consider it for DS2!

FuriousRox Thu 11-Oct-12 10:38:15

thanks v much for your feedback, everyone. It's true I'm probably overthinking the name shortening thing - you can't plan nicknames, can you! If I get a chance, I'll update you in a few days as to what we actually choose (probably be a girl, after all this faffing about)...

birdofthenorth Thu 11-Oct-12 07:29:02

I love Marlon. It's excellent. Aldous is cool, too. Samuel is lovely but a bit dull (sorry all!). Lucas is nice but having a popularity moment right now.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Thu 11-Oct-12 02:14:10

Aldous - nice, (it makes me think of Russell Brand because of that film, but that's probably just me)
Lucas - really nice
Samuel - love
Marlon - quite sweet, but makes me think of Emmerdale

schplappo Thu 11-Oct-12 02:07:00

Aldous is a great name; very strong. He could be Al for short couldn't he? Isn't Aldo - or something like it - a supermarket?

squoosh Wed 10-Oct-12 20:46:02

Huxley

wigwamzam Wed 10-Oct-12 20:44:37

I have a Lucas, he never gets called Luke smile

YouMayLogOut Wed 10-Oct-12 15:50:18

Samuel is very nice. Or how about Samson, Saul, Silas?

Aldous is fine and I wouldn't have thought of Aldi. Marlon is too "Brando" and Lucas a bit wet.

bigbluebump Wed 10-Oct-12 13:58:51

Aldous is a fab name! Classic, manly and not overused.

I'm not that keen on Lukas/Luke or Marlon, sorry.

JennaMoroney Wed 10-Oct-12 12:55:54

marlon makes me thnk of a clown or a children's entertainer

Gwennan Wed 10-Oct-12 12:31:01

Luke is not an inevitable nickname for Lucas.

Usually nicknames are only inevitable when the given name is long, for instance: Josie for Josephine or Alex for Alexander. He may be called Luke but I wouldn't expect it to be a daily occurrence. Lucas isn't exactly difficult to say, is it?

Aldous is fine by itself.

I don't like Marlon (Emmerdale?) but I like Samuel.

I would choose:
Aldous if you're feeling adventurous
Lucas if you're feeling on trend
Samuel if you want a classic
Marlon if you want something a bit wacky

hellokitty123 Wed 10-Oct-12 12:13:17

Aldous is great. If you have to shorten, how about Aldo - that would be cute! But agree that Aldous sounds great as it is.

Marlon is nice too.

Samuel/Sam and Lucas/Luke are quite widely used and a little dull in comparison.

sonnieboo Wed 10-Oct-12 12:07:46

Love the name Aldous!! Why would you NEED to shorten it? Aldous rolls off the tongue easily.

Not keen on Luke or Lucas, sorry.

FuriousRox Wed 10-Oct-12 12:05:16

Baby due in 10 days. Girls name picked ages ago. Boys name - nnnnnightmare! help me.

I like Aldous - but what would it get shortened to? Aldo? Aldi?? Ally?
DH likes Lucas - but I don't massively like the surely inevitable Luke as a nn.

We've also been considering Samuel, and Marlon (which is a bit of an odd one but has been growing on me lately!).

Can you tell we're quite confused? We go round and round and don't get anywhere. Thoughts? Opinions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now