Madeleine

(40 Posts)
CheerfulYank Tue 09-Oct-12 20:27:59

Is it overdone? I really don't know any. I do know a lot of Madisons, though (am American) and worry that people would think that was her name if we called her Maddie.

Thoughts?

happierhigherstrongerwheezing Wed 10-Oct-12 21:13:44

Actually, it reminds me of Paris, which is a lovely association.

PoppyScarer Wed 10-Oct-12 21:15:58

I love it, but might be biased!

I've only come across one or two others in 5 years.

And only one person (with special needs) has mentioned Madeleine McCann.

Spell it Madeleine, I implore you!

susiedaisy Wed 10-Oct-12 21:16:38

I immediately think of Madeleine McCann, sorry!

PoppyScarer Wed 10-Oct-12 21:18:29

P.S. Madeleine Albright, what a role model!

My experience is that people are impressed when you explain Maddie is short for Madeleine, not Madison. Sooooo many Madisons around.

P.P.S. A wonderful excuse to eat a delicious cake at every possible opportunity.

My 8 yr old is Madeleine. We wanted something that could stand as a classy name when she's an adult, but that we could shorten to something cute as a toddler. She is Maddie. It bugs me so much that people assume that is short for Madison. I mean wtf? What the heck is Madison?? Madeleine is an ages old French name, way classier. I say go for it. We holidayed just across the road from the McCann's appartment the year before their tragedy, and it affected me greatly, but I don't think this is a reason not to go with Madeleine if you love it. It never affected anyone named Ben...

My 8 yr old is Madeleine. We wanted something that could stand as a classy name when she's an adult, but that we could shorten to something cute as a toddler. She is Maddie. It bugs me so much that people assume that is short for Madison. I mean wtf? What the heck is Madison?? Madeleine is an ages old French name, way classier. I say go for it. We holidayed just across the road from the McCann's appartment the year before their tragedy, and it affected me greatly, but I don't think this is a reason not to go with Madeleine if you love it. It never affected anyone named Ben...

I think of little frech cakes smile

CheerfulYank Wed 10-Oct-12 21:27:22

I also love Madeleine L'Engle, so that's something smile

PuppyMonkey Thu 11-Oct-12 06:39:17

Never had anyone assume my Maddie is short for Madison. That name wasn't really on the radar nearly 16 years ago round these parts.

CheerfulYank Fri 12-Oct-12 18:30:17

I don't know a single Madeleline/Madeline but I know at least a dozen Madisons! Much prefer Madeline.

1944girl Sat 13-Oct-12 18:26:54

I had a great aunt whose name was Madelaine she always got called Lena.
My grandmother had a friend called Madelaine.Now this name has ''come back'' I love it even more.

We have one spelt Madeleine aged 3.6 and only ever get positive comments on it. We call her Maddie/Madeleine about 50/50 really. I really don't like Madison much and for that reason I usually call her by her full name when we're out and about! In our Yorkshire accent it's pronounced a bit more like Mad-uh-lin.

I also know a Maddalena which I think is really nice, but it would probably depend on your surname a bit more.

wizzler Sat 13-Oct-12 20:33:20

I have a Madeleine, aged 5 (and three quarters!) She is very rarely called anything but Madeleine. Occasionally Madsy

bigbluebump Sun 14-Oct-12 07:28:10

I prefer the sound of Madeleine to Madeline (mad-e-lyne).
But I really don't like the nickname Maddie - sounds like someone who is Mad!

ThursdayWillBeTheDay Mon 15-Oct-12 06:43:10

Madeleine is the polar opposite to Madison and is beautiful and classy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now