How popular are these names in Ireland??

(31 Posts)
LuellaLovesLavender Sun 07-Oct-12 13:09:45

I really don't want anything too popular! I am considering Beatrix, Tabitha, Florence and Cordelia........I know some of these are very popular in Britain but are they popular in Ireland? I have never ever met any child in Ireland with those names but if any Irish mums out there can tell me if these are on the rise here I would really appreciate it! Thanks

LuellaLovesLavender Tue 09-Oct-12 21:34:29

Ooh silkiechicken what kind of reactions does your little Tabitha get to her name?

Thewidewideworld Tue 09-Oct-12 21:39:15

Of course Florence was traditionally a boys name in Ireland.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Wed 10-Oct-12 03:57:54

They are very uncommon and I believe will stay that way because as another poster said, they're seen as v English.

DD (21 months) has a name along those lines. We have never had anything but positive comments but rudeness would be fucking glacially received so maybe people are too scared.

JennaMoroney Wed 10-Oct-12 07:31:29

I don't completely agree wth that. I thinhk that Emily /Sophie /Isabel/Clara would have been seen as very English twenty years ago. We will always have the Irish names being used as well alongside English (language) names, which means that their popularity is less, but then the UK has a lot of different nationalities.

SilkieChicken Wed 10-Oct-12 17:23:17

Always positive! She's three and a half now. My MIL thought I had made it up at first, but pointing out it was a biblical name hmm put paid to that.

DS had a similarly unusual name and now there are two smaller ones with the same name in the town. I was slightly annoyed, especially when one of the mother's was his nursery worker. Doesn't bother me now. much wink

SilkieChicken Wed 10-Oct-12 17:24:30

Renegade apostrophe there. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now