looking for opinions on "Ossian"

(39 Posts)
honeytea Sat 06-Oct-12 10:55:42

Hello,

We are still looking for names for DC1 due in 2 months, I like the name Ossian, I was wondering what people's reactions to the name are.

I have read it is an anglo version of an Irish name, I have 1 Irish grandparent so there is a vague Irish family connection (although the baby will be only 1/8 Irish.)

I like the meaning of little deer as he will be born so close to Christmas and we live in a country where you see a lot of little deers wondering around in the snow around Christmas.

Do you know any men/boys called Ossian?

Thank you smile

delilah88 Sat 06-Oct-12 20:38:27

I met one -- massively posh sort of eco-farm hippy type.

mathanxiety Sat 06-Oct-12 15:44:33

X post there with Caladria.

mathanxiety Sat 06-Oct-12 15:43:53

Ossian is an anglicisation that was used by 19th C writers pedalling versions of the old Irish sagas/making up vaguely 'Celtic' literature. So a very Victorian or even pre Victorian name to me that has no basis in actual ancient literature. Walter Scott-ish, fake Celtic, Romantic. ..

The Irish Oisín is pronounced Ush-een in most of Ireland with a variant Osh-een in the north.

LemonBreeland Sat 06-Oct-12 14:45:47

My friend hasan Osian, pronounced Osheen. He is 2, they live in Scotland but he has an Irish father.

aufaniae Sat 06-Oct-12 14:41:10

Or 250 even. (Sorry having problems counting!)

aufaniae Sat 06-Oct-12 14:37:35

Oisín is an ancient, pre-Christian name, from Celtic legends and Ossian is a variant.

Then MacPherson fraud was a mere 300 years ago! grin

Caladria Sat 06-Oct-12 13:45:09

It's the name of the most successful literary fraud of all time: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossian

I've always liked that story and mean to read Ossian someday, but it might be strange to be named after a fake.

soapnuts Sat 06-Oct-12 13:38:00

It's going to be DS2s name - also due in a couple of months! grin I actually had a thread on this a few weeks ago and there is a lot of discussion on pronunciation. We decided to go with the Welsh Osian (pronounced Osh-an). Here's the link - it might give you some more opinions. Obviously I love it! www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names/1560547-How-would-you-pronounce-Oisin

aufaniae Sat 06-Oct-12 13:33:05

All human grin

aufaniae Sat 06-Oct-12 13:32:50

I know one Ossian (Scottish pronunciation), three Oisíns and I know of an Ossian (Anglicised pronunciation).

Cezella Sat 06-Oct-12 13:29:23

I live in North Wales and know at least nine Osians so I definitely wouldn't expect to hear sniggering about the name!

Anonymumous Sat 06-Oct-12 13:07:51

It makes me think of hessian underthings... blush

AllPastYears Sat 06-Oct-12 12:39:25

YouMayLogOut, the only Ossian I know is a horse. grin

YouMayLogOut Sat 06-Oct-12 12:27:55

I think of a horse (an oss).

honeytea Sat 06-Oct-12 12:16:29

Thanks for all the advice! It sounds like there is lots of choice about the pronunciations.

I am not sure if choosing a name that you only have a small link to the country of origan is a silly thing to do, another name we love is theodor but I'm not worried about not being greek so I'm not sure why I feel maybe I'm not celtic enough to use this name.

baskingseals Sat 06-Oct-12 12:14:52

thanks aufaniae grin

pixiestix Sat 06-Oct-12 11:28:58

I love Osian/Ossian, pronounced Osh-ann. Its a beautiful name, I can't see any reason for people to "snigger" behind his back as mentioned upthread hmm

MeFour Sat 06-Oct-12 11:22:27

I like Osian but that's because it's welsh. I love the history behind these ancient names.

Youremindmeofthebabe Sat 06-Oct-12 11:21:28

X-posted with everyone!

Youremindmeofthebabe Sat 06-Oct-12 11:20:38

I know a few Osian's - a welsh name. Pronounced osh-ann. I like it. Never heard of Ossian though.

aufaniae Sat 06-Oct-12 11:18:42

Oisín is the Irish name, pronounced Ush-een / Osheen depending on your accent
Osian is the Welsh version, pronounced Osh-an
Ossian is the Scottish version, also pronounced Osh-an
Ossian is also the Anglicised version, pronounced Oss-ian

I think it's a fabulous name, with great stories from Celtic myths attached, and a lovely meaning.

I love it, and have only ever heard people say good things about it smile

(I might just have a vested interest in this name wink )

mejon Sat 06-Oct-12 11:17:43

It is spelt Osian in Welsh and prn. Oshann with a short 'o' shound rather than 'oh' (so it doesn't sound like Ocean!!!). Given your location OP and the meaning of the name I think it sounds perfect smile.

loolooskiptotheloo Sat 06-Oct-12 11:16:10

Osian pronounced osh Anne is quite common here in Wales, I like it.

Ragwort Sat 06-Oct-12 11:09:49

I've only met one Ossian - and to be honest everyone sniggered about his name behind his back, I know that sounds cruel, but that's what happened.

lljkk Sat 06-Oct-12 11:08:38

Meh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now