looking for opinions on "Ossian"

(39 Posts)
honeytea Sat 06-Oct-12 10:55:42

Hello,

We are still looking for names for DC1 due in 2 months, I like the name Ossian, I was wondering what people's reactions to the name are.

I have read it is an anglo version of an Irish name, I have 1 Irish grandparent so there is a vague Irish family connection (although the baby will be only 1/8 Irish.)

I like the meaning of little deer as he will be born so close to Christmas and we live in a country where you see a lot of little deers wondering around in the snow around Christmas.

Do you know any men/boys called Ossian?

Thank you smile

MardyBra Sat 06-Oct-12 10:58:13

I've never heard f it (no Irish connections). I had a neutral reaction apart from thinking it sounded like a floor covering.

baskingseals Sat 06-Oct-12 10:59:36

how exactly do you pronounce it?

Bunbaker Sat 06-Oct-12 11:01:01

DD went to preschool with a boy called Ossian. The mum had to correct me on pronunciation the first time I said it. He used to get called Ossie by his friends and family.

Am I right in think it is pronouced Osheen?

honeytea Sat 06-Oct-12 11:01:36

I'm not sure of the way it would be pronounced in the UK but in Sweden it is pronounced ooss-ian (if that makes sence!)

TheOnlyPersonInTheRoom Sat 06-Oct-12 11:02:37

Never heard of it but I've no Irish connections. It makes me think of a sack but I'm probably saying it wrong in my head.

honeytea Sat 06-Oct-12 11:02:48

I have never know any Ossians in the UK but i have met about 3 in Sweden, strange as it isn't a Swedish name.

maillotjaune Sat 06-Oct-12 11:03:24

From an Irish family but never heard it. Makes me think if bones I'm afraid.

AThingInYourLife Sat 06-Oct-12 11:04:57

I like it.

I prefer Oisín, but can see why you would prefer to use a name in English.

glastocat Sat 06-Oct-12 11:05:37

Oisin, pronounced osheen is an Irish name. Never heard of Ossian.. There is a fada on Oisin, but I haven't got one on my keyboard.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 06-Oct-12 11:07:30

There's a Loch Ossian in Scotland, it has a youth Hostel beside it with the same name.

glastocat Sat 06-Oct-12 11:07:37

But I see Athing must have a special keyboard! grin. It's actually my son's middle name, you would think I could spell it properly!grin

baskingseals Sat 06-Oct-12 11:08:20

ooh i like the osheen pronunication.

so are Oisin and Ossian in fact the same name?

glastocat Sat 06-Oct-12 11:08:36

Makes me think of bones too, or Borris-in-ossary

lljkk Sat 06-Oct-12 11:08:38

Meh.

Ragwort Sat 06-Oct-12 11:09:49

I've only met one Ossian - and to be honest everyone sniggered about his name behind his back, I know that sounds cruel, but that's what happened.

loolooskiptotheloo Sat 06-Oct-12 11:16:10

Osian pronounced osh Anne is quite common here in Wales, I like it.

mejon Sat 06-Oct-12 11:17:43

It is spelt Osian in Welsh and prn. Oshann with a short 'o' shound rather than 'oh' (so it doesn't sound like Ocean!!!). Given your location OP and the meaning of the name I think it sounds perfect smile.

aufaniae Sat 06-Oct-12 11:18:42

Oisín is the Irish name, pronounced Ush-een / Osheen depending on your accent
Osian is the Welsh version, pronounced Osh-an
Ossian is the Scottish version, also pronounced Osh-an
Ossian is also the Anglicised version, pronounced Oss-ian

I think it's a fabulous name, with great stories from Celtic myths attached, and a lovely meaning.

I love it, and have only ever heard people say good things about it smile

(I might just have a vested interest in this name wink )

Youremindmeofthebabe Sat 06-Oct-12 11:20:38

I know a few Osian's - a welsh name. Pronounced osh-ann. I like it. Never heard of Ossian though.

Youremindmeofthebabe Sat 06-Oct-12 11:21:28

X-posted with everyone!

MeFour Sat 06-Oct-12 11:22:27

I like Osian but that's because it's welsh. I love the history behind these ancient names.

pixiestix Sat 06-Oct-12 11:28:58

I love Osian/Ossian, pronounced Osh-ann. Its a beautiful name, I can't see any reason for people to "snigger" behind his back as mentioned upthread hmm

baskingseals Sat 06-Oct-12 12:14:52

thanks aufaniae grin

honeytea Sat 06-Oct-12 12:16:29

Thanks for all the advice! It sounds like there is lots of choice about the pronunciations.

I am not sure if choosing a name that you only have a small link to the country of origan is a silly thing to do, another name we love is theodor but I'm not worried about not being greek so I'm not sure why I feel maybe I'm not celtic enough to use this name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now