Bede

(78 Posts)
RTchoke Fri 05-Oct-12 13:48:20

I love the name Bede (pronounced Bead) but I fear it might be too "out there".

What's the general consensus?

OatyBeatie Fri 05-Oct-12 14:27:39

Yes, it would kind of suggest that you spoke in Latin at teatime for fun.

There was another thread on here a few months ago, where a poster wanted Beck for a DS, shortened from Beckett. Would this do if you wanted a religious historical name?

Sorry but I think there's a reason that the only Bede we know about lived in the 6 and 700s AD. Bede actually means prayer (hence rosary beads), I wouldn't call a DS Prayer either.....

YokoOhNo Fri 05-Oct-12 14:29:55

I should add that DH had an unusual Anglo Saxon saint's name. He likes it, but he does spend a lot of time explaining to people, "Yes, it's my real name. No, my parents weren't hippies/academics/fans of Fantasy novels". His Dad was a bricklayer!

FriskyMarkCavendish Fri 05-Oct-12 14:30:26

I once went out with a rather gorgeous Aelred! 30 years ago

wonkylegs Fri 05-Oct-12 14:47:50

We know a Bede & a Benedict (Ben) but there are a lot of Catholics up here. Both are lovely names. Different but not overtly however if you aren't catholic many may assume you are.

MadBusLady Fri 05-Oct-12 14:48:06

I love Aidan. Columbanus is another good one, but that might be Bede-like levels of "out there".

shoppingtrolley Fri 05-Oct-12 15:01:57

What about Ethelred?

RillaBlythe Fri 05-Oct-12 15:06:16

Oswald is great.

tilder Fri 05-Oct-12 15:32:54

Am afraid I also think bidet. Plus bedel (sp?) The bard.

I campaigned (unsucessfully) for Caedmon YokoOhNo! Try there [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbot_of_Iona abbots of Iona]] for some fun!

Oops that should have been try these Abbots of Iona for some fun!

Badvoc Fri 05-Oct-12 17:13:50

As in "the venerable"?

What about Bino? I once knew a Bede, but he went by his middle name instead most of the time (telling, perhaps?)

BoyMeetsWorld Fri 05-Oct-12 19:42:09

I love it, but I did study Anglo Saxon :p

BananaBubbles Fri 05-Oct-12 20:44:34

It's ghastly.

Wow - the only Bede I know is a seventy-year-old ex-nun.

(ie a woman)

lljkk Fri 05-Oct-12 20:49:19

Weird.

marketingfreelancer Fri 05-Oct-12 20:51:15

Never heard of it before this thread but it sounds like Something which lives in the bathroom and is for washing your arse in.

Bead is a very limiting name IMO

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 05-Oct-12 20:52:08

A lovely name, but best used for a pet rather than a child, IMHO (and I say that as a former postgraduate medievalist!)

LonelyCloud Fri 05-Oct-12 20:57:23

The Venerable Bede (St Bede) springs immediately to mind.

I would consider it a very religious name, and I'd assume you were very religious to name your child that.

If you live in the north east, you should be fine re. spelling and pronunciation, as St Bede lived up here, and there's plenty of references to him around.

ThreePly Fri 05-Oct-12 20:59:14

Lovely. Reminds me though of that scene in the David Lodge novel where someone starts hanging round with Catholics and meets a Bede which he mistakenly thinks is Bead as in rosary. (The reason the scene is funny is because it has nothing to do with rosary beads. Not at all funny in the retelling!)

Oh, and 1-syllable names are apparently very masculine.

SundaeGirl Fri 05-Oct-12 21:04:16

Usually I'd think a name like Bede was trying too hard, but actually I love it a lot.

PopOozeTheFastest Fri 05-Oct-12 21:09:28

I've just remembered - my grandfather wrote a book about the Venerable Bede.

May be completely outing myself, but it's been bugging me since my earlier post as to how I'd come to hear the name Bede grin.

RTchoke Fri 05-Oct-12 21:15:15

There are actually more positive responses here than I was expecting. Although obviously the name also has it's fair share of haters.

We are not in the NE so I think pronunciation might be an issue.

I just love it. DH more worried about being unconventional.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now