Saskia, Iris, Nell, Honor .... Which one?

(62 Posts)
onlyaname Fri 05-Oct-12 11:53:56

As above really. DD is a few days old now and we are not sure which one to choose.

Any feedback is welcome. I'm pretty sure I like Iris best. DH likes Honor.

CognitiveOverload Sun 03-Mar-13 20:07:56

Honor and iris.

northofwestway Sun 03-Mar-13 18:47:32

Saskia is a good Dutch name (Rembrant's wife) and I am surprised that people think it is pretentious or TOWIE. BTW it is pronounced Suskia and not Saasskia. I have one too - named in honour of my Dutch mother.

kerala Sun 03-Mar-13 18:41:42

Love Honor and Iris. Saskia sounds pretentious somehow and Nell just isnt a pretty sound.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 03-Mar-13 16:55:32

Old thread now but I wonder what OP chose? smile

lockets Sun 03-Mar-13 03:41:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Verynearlytea Sun 03-Mar-13 03:31:51

Congratulations!
Agree with some others on the Saskia/TOWIE thing.
I love Iris and Nell, had both on my list but fella didn't go for Iris (Nell in our final two). A lot of folks don't like as it's considered to be just a nn but I think it works just fine on it's own and if you used a longer version the her name wouldn't be Nell.
I also quite like Honor, it's growing on me as I'm typing, I hadn't come across it much apart from Ms. Blackman so hadn't formed an opinion but yup quite like.

BananaPhone Mon 15-Oct-12 21:46:30

Nell. I would maybe use is as a NN for Eleanor though.

Popsandpip Fri 12-Oct-12 15:43:35

Some really pretty choices there. Congrats on your new baby girl!

Not so sure about Nell as a full name - more of a nn IMO.

My middle name is Honor. People always say how unusual and classic it is though I know it's become more popular since Jessica Alba named her baby Honor.

wildpoppy Thu 11-Oct-12 18:23:59

I like them in the order you put them in the question

qumquat Thu 11-Oct-12 18:22:24

I love Honor, and it is spelled correctly, it's from the Latin Honoria. Don't see that Honor will date, I've never come across one. Love your taste in names, I'd use Nell as a nickname for Helena though, I'd feel a bit short changed to have Nell as my full name.

mumnosbest Thu 11-Oct-12 10:04:40

Iris! smile

Saskia is Eastenders to me (while ago) and also nxt doors husky dog.

Not keen on the others sorry.

no one liked my choice of names either but nobody cares once baby's here so go with what you and dh love.

Metronomy Thu 11-Oct-12 09:55:20

Iris.

Honor is very cute. I adore Saskia. I read a very sensitive and beautifully written YA book called "Saskia's Journey" earlier this year and it made me love the name even more. I think it's interesting, sparky, elegant, delicate.

HiHowAreYou Thu 11-Oct-12 07:42:39

I don't like Nell, too nicknamey.
Saskia sounds too... harsh somehow.

Of the other two, I slightly prefer Honor.

mummybare Thu 11-Oct-12 07:26:16

Oh yes, and congratulations! thanks

mummybare Thu 11-Oct-12 07:25:07

I love Iris and Nell - I particularly like it short for Penelope or Helena - and Honor is nice and underused. In fact I can ONLY think of Honor Blackman, but she's a glamorous lady, so it's not a bad association.

Not so keen on Saskia, but think the others are all lovely.

birdofthenorth Thu 11-Oct-12 07:08:33

Congrats! I absolutely love Nell, Iris and Honor they are all on my list (although a friend just used Nell, short for Ellen in her case). Not so keen on Saskia, always felt a bit try-hard to me, sorry (plus that loopy bird who got murdered with an ashtray in Eastenders springs to mind, even though it was years ago!). Love the other three though. If it helps I would say Nell is the warmest, Iris the most elegant and Honor the most classic and least faddy.

schplappo Thu 11-Oct-12 02:04:25

Congratulations!

Honor is my dd's name so that's my favourite! Can be tricky with middle names though as "Honor XXX" can sound like a command. We were in same situation as you when she was born but from our list, she just was Honor. Perhaps the same will happen with your little girl - she'll just be one of them.

Can I suggest Ellen as a bc version for Nell too.

StrangeGlue Wed 10-Oct-12 12:25:43

Iris or saskia

Nell is a nickname so I'd personally go for Eleanor if that's what you want.

I dislike character traits as names and along with an americanised spelling that'd be honor out for me.

nappyaddict Wed 10-Oct-12 12:22:46

Nell or Honor.

mathanxiety Wed 10-Oct-12 00:03:41

Honor.

chickydoo Tue 09-Oct-12 23:52:48

Nell... Love it!
Saskia .....yuck...
Honor ok
Iris.....old Lady

JennaMoroney Tue 09-Oct-12 23:49:51

I love Honor! ROYsh called his daughter Honor though. hmmm.

Nell is terribly frumpy.
Saskia a bit pretensh
Iris is very ugly.

MaBaya Tue 09-Oct-12 16:44:51

Honor is dreadul. It will date very quickly.

Iris is everywhere now.

I love Nell is its short for something more official - Helena or Penelope.

Sakia is quite harsh sounding.

scootle Tue 09-Oct-12 14:40:45

Just realised you like Iris best, sorry. It's lovely, but less to my taste than Nell or Honor. I would just sit with it for a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now