Karen

(23 Posts)
Jusfloatingby Thu 04-Oct-12 16:54:24

I was watching one of the earlier episodes of Outnumbered last night and was wondering why they chose the name Karen for the little girl. It's so dated and mumsy. I mean she was sooooooo gorgeous she could carry off any name but does anyone else think Karen is a bit meh!

Apologies to any Karen's out there. I just meant for a little girl nowadays.

YouMayLogOut Thu 04-Oct-12 16:58:43

I like the name Karen. It's simple, gentle and currently underused. I know three Karens and they're all lovely!

50smellsofshite Thu 04-Oct-12 17:02:57

I've been bullied by two evil Karens. The name makes me shudder.
It is dated though. Like Tracey, Kelly, Nicola, Julie etc.
Not my taste. They'll come back in. I bet I'll have a grandaughter called bloody Karen!

squoosh Thu 04-Oct-12 17:08:10

I'm not a fan either.

PiggyBankMum Thu 04-Oct-12 17:15:18

I have wondered about this, too, wrt Outnumbered.
Would a family who use Ben and Jake then choose Karen?

YouMayLogOut Thu 04-Oct-12 17:24:19

Piggy I like the name Karen but you're right it's a surprise with the other names. I reckon they're more Tabitha/Jemima types. Refreshing though smile

CointreauVersial Thu 04-Oct-12 17:26:45

My cousin is Karen, but pronounced Car-un (as in a car you drive...).

Karen is due a revival, methinks...

I think of outnumbered and I think it sounds nice.

Then I think of all the adult Karens I know and am a bit hmm.

Its a bit meh.

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Thu 04-Oct-12 17:48:51

Very dated and mummy.

tammytoby Thu 04-Oct-12 20:39:38

It only sounds 'dated' because we associate the name with adult Karens.

If you meet a gorgeous young Karen your associations would change pretty quickly, I think. Actually makes a refreshing change from all the cutesy Ellies, Evies and Poppys!

Jusfloatingby Fri 05-Oct-12 13:35:46

I think it's a bit early to revive the name. To me Karen is a hairdresser in her forties.

BoyMeetsWorld Fri 05-Oct-12 19:46:32

I think it suits the character & was probably chosen because she's meant to be 'an old soul'.

Can't stand the name in real life though!

MerylStrop Fri 05-Oct-12 20:12:39

I went to school with hundreds of them

But I think if you just sound out the name it is lovely

SeveredEdMcDunnough Fri 05-Oct-12 20:14:50

Sorry, I really don't like it. I have known too many I didn't like.

A1980 Sun 07-Oct-12 20:49:56

It's my cousin's name and she is an evil bitch who bullied the hell out of me growing up. For that reason I hate it.

Aside from that, it's nothing special.

Tigertots Mon 29-Oct-12 01:11:45

I like Karen, it has such a good sound. (Although I possibly like Karenna even more.)

But I can wholeheartedly understand people hating the name if it reminds them of bullies!

echidnakid Mon 29-Oct-12 01:14:07

I really dislike the name Karen (with apologies to the Karens on MN).

LineRunner Mon 29-Oct-12 01:18:21

I like it. Karen Carpenter, Karen Black, Karen Gillan, Karen my friend at school.

ripsishere Mon 29-Oct-12 01:19:45

DD had a classmate called Karen. She was the most evil, nasty little girl I've had the misfortune to come across.
OTOH, my best friend is called Karen so they cancel each other out.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 29-Oct-12 01:21:11

I don't dislike it exactly,but the only Karens I know are late thirties plus. Isn't awful but I prefer Cara/Kara...neither of which sound anything like how I say Karen but thought I'd put it out there.

deleted203 Mon 29-Oct-12 01:26:41

Agree with just. Karen is an ok name - don't like or dislike it - but I don't know any little girls nowadays called it (and I've taught for a lot of years.....never taught a Karen). Like others, all the Karens I know are around 40.

Everlong Mon 29-Oct-12 08:32:38

Agree OP.

It's not time for Karen, Debbie, Julie, Lisa etc just yet. Another 30 years I reckon.

It's a middle aged woman's name. Nothing wrong with it. I know a few lovely ones.

RosannaBanana Tue 30-Oct-12 10:11:11

Her real name is Ramona smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now