Sofia vs Isabel

(31 Posts)
ddas Thu 04-Oct-12 14:24:56

Both myself and DH love these two names but can't decide between them & as we have a long double barrel surname have chosen not to have a middle name so can't use both!

What do you like/dislike/prefer about them to help us decide. DH thinks that maybe Sofia will get called Sophie instead which we aren't so keen on but can't see why anyone would do that.

If helps background to why we chose these 2 names: want something that can be said in both Spanish & English as my family is originally Spanish (another reason we're not having a middle name as it's also not something that is normally done in Spain) and something not too long that can go with a long surname.

Feel free to to suggest others too.

ddas Fri 05-Oct-12 20:17:58

Yep if we went with Sofia it would be with that spelling as would feel odd to specifically chose a name due to it's Spanish roots & then not spell it in the Spanish way. Plus when I thought of the name it's the only spelling I had in my head. It's only coming on here that's made me realise some people would spell it Sophia.
worldcitizen it is interesting how in the uk it's more common to be looking for a unique one off name whist in a lot of European countries you notice the same names cropping up in every generation. My mums reaction to my comment that maybe I shouldn't use the names as they were common says it all: she looked at me as if I was mad and said so what if other people have the same name- she has a very common Spanish name as do most of that side of the family and they've never even given it a second thought.

mogandme Fri 05-Oct-12 20:20:57

Know 2 Sophia/Sofia 's neither have been called Sophie

worldcitizen Fri 05-Oct-12 20:31:47

ddas yy I very much agree. To me it also wouldn't make sense to chose a Spanish name on purpose for all the reasons you've mentioned and then NOT go with the Spanish spelling. And as someone pointed out before, that actually would also be the typical spelling in other countries as well.
The Spanish Queen is Sofia and she is Greek and she is also actually Prince Philip's (Duke of Edinburgh) first cousin, if I am not mistaken right now.

wigglesrock Fri 05-Oct-12 20:41:18

I went with the Sofia spelling to distinguish it even further from Sophie, if that makes sense plus my husband loves Sofia Coppola blush

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 05-Oct-12 20:51:00

Isabel
Sofia is a piece of furniture
Sophia is a prettier spelling Sophie is a much nicer name!

Dillydollydaydream Sat 06-Oct-12 12:44:05

I really like Sofia. I know a few Isabel/Isabella's but no Sofia/Sophia's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now