Clorinda?

(44 Posts)
NotChristmasCarol Thu 04-Oct-12 09:27:54

Sorry - I feel like I've already leaned on your patience about 500 times so far but I'm still thrashing around with names (no DH/DP so I've got no-one but you lot to test things out before braving a wider crowd).

I've always said I wanted a name for DD2 that ends in an "ee" or really anything other than an "a". And I want something unusual but not awkward to pronounce or spell.

The middle name will definitely be Joy (family name)

To date, I'd narrowed it down to:

Xanthe Joy

Claudine Joy

Vivienne Joy

Fabienne Joy

And then last night.... I thought:

Clorinda Joy

<secret passion for 17th/18th century poetry alert blush>

Thoughts please???

LadyPlainJane Sat 06-Oct-12 21:48:01

Seraphina Joy is lovely, it's unusual but not wierd. I think it's a fab name.

Vivienne is also very nice.

Ephiny Sat 06-Oct-12 21:05:49

Seraphina wouldn't be my first choice personally, but is much nicer than Clorinda/Florinda.

Glad you have ditched the mouthwash name.
I love serephina, it was on my list for dd2 and I really regret not using it.

Claudine is my favourite on your list smile I also love Odette which I think fits your criteria?
And as for hormonal name choices... I was convinced I was going to name DD Zombie for months grin the look of relief on my poor DH's face when I changed my mind was spectacular!

YouMayLogOut Sat 06-Oct-12 17:39:30

Seraphina Joy is a lovely name! smile

Seraphine doesn't flow quite as well, I think.

1944girl Sat 06-Oct-12 17:35:25

The only time I ever heard of Clorinda was at school, when we had a song in music lesson.One of the lines was ''Clorinda, the fairest of maidens is she''.
I hated that song.

NotChristmasCarol Sat 06-Oct-12 17:31:30

Thanks everyone for the sanity-restoring buckets of cold water, which have also given me a few chuckles. Bath-cleaning products and foot-fungus for my Precious Second Born indeed!

I'm now on Seraphina Joy. Please don't tell me you hate it (oh, go on then) because I think it might be "the one". Unless "the one" is actually Seraphine Joy..... But Seraphine: too much like the Maternity shop?

Whichever one it is ("ina" or "ine") I feel I'm onto something. It's the first name that has felt really right.

Elvisrules Fri 05-Oct-12 17:13:50

I'm outing myself here but may I suggest my name of Philippa Joy?

Think its rather nice

Wigeon Thu 04-Oct-12 20:35:24

Before I opened the thread I also thought that Clorinda sounded like some kind of medicine for some nasty disease, or a cleaning product. Sorry!

How about a name ending in O? To get away from all the girls-names-ending-in-A. Eg Cleo. Or Chloe for another E name.

puffylovett Thu 04-Oct-12 20:26:30

Agree revthoughts of fungal cream.
How about - clarinda? Clarissa? Jacinta?

halloweeneyqueeney Thu 04-Oct-12 20:05:27

I think it sounds like medication, or medicated cream (possibly anti-fungal), sorry!

like Joy and Claudine though

Anonymumous Thu 04-Oct-12 20:00:49

How about Clarissa then?

picnicbasketcase Thu 04-Oct-12 16:03:20

Dorinda?

YouMayLogOut Thu 04-Oct-12 15:56:43

Just take away the C and you get Lorinda, which isn't as chlorine-y.

Other names ending in "inda"... Belinda, Melinda, Lucinda.

Stateofplay Thu 04-Oct-12 15:51:24

"Two I's, two E's, two N's, two V's" said in a sing-song voice = Vivienne. Lovely name, and by far the best spelling of it.

I don't like Fabienne (nickname Fab?) or Claudine (too cat-like) so much, Xanthe is cool.

picnicbasketcase Thu 04-Oct-12 15:50:54

Throat lozenges.

Ephiny Thu 04-Oct-12 15:50:50

Belinda?

clippityclop Thu 04-Oct-12 15:49:35

Clorinda sounds like something you can get cream for. Claudine's OK.

Ephiny Thu 04-Oct-12 15:40:35

I like Claudine best.

Clorinda is a bit cleaning-product to me as well, and Florinda is awful, sorry. Clarissa or Miranda, maybe.

HairyPoppins Thu 04-Oct-12 15:21:03

My great aunt was Dorinda, although you might not be keen on the initials DJ.

GoSakuramachi Thu 04-Oct-12 15:16:49

Florinda is also hideous, sounds like a skin growth you get between your toes.

Narked Thu 04-Oct-12 15:15:32

'I will consign Clorinda to "strange-hormone-induced-thoughts-at-3am-not-to-be-taken-further-during-daylight-hours"

We should have a thread of those grin

lucysnowe Thu 04-Oct-12 14:34:16

Clorinda sounds a bit like a Saki character, if that's what you're going for :-)

NotChristmasCarol Thu 04-Oct-12 14:27:44

Oh Smize I really like Florinda! Thank you! (or rather, grrrr - that's another one for the short list smile)

Whimsy - I like Emmeline but the "did you say Emily" would drive me crazy. I also like Marianna and Georgianna, but they're not quite for me

MummyPig - Joy is my (very much alive) DGMs name so I prefer it as a middle name

Thanks to everyone

DontCallMeMummyPig Thu 04-Oct-12 14:20:11

What about Joy as a first name? Beautiful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now