Clorinda?

(44 Posts)
NotChristmasCarol Thu 04-Oct-12 09:27:54

Sorry - I feel like I've already leaned on your patience about 500 times so far but I'm still thrashing around with names (no DH/DP so I've got no-one but you lot to test things out before braving a wider crowd).

I've always said I wanted a name for DD2 that ends in an "ee" or really anything other than an "a". And I want something unusual but not awkward to pronounce or spell.

The middle name will definitely be Joy (family name)

To date, I'd narrowed it down to:

Xanthe Joy

Claudine Joy

Vivienne Joy

Fabienne Joy

And then last night.... I thought:

Clorinda Joy

<secret passion for 17th/18th century poetry alert blush>

Thoughts please???

Ephiny Thu 04-Oct-12 15:40:35

I like Claudine best.

Clorinda is a bit cleaning-product to me as well, and Florinda is awful, sorry. Clarissa or Miranda, maybe.

clippityclop Thu 04-Oct-12 15:49:35

Clorinda sounds like something you can get cream for. Claudine's OK.

Ephiny Thu 04-Oct-12 15:50:50

Belinda?

picnicbasketcase Thu 04-Oct-12 15:50:54

Throat lozenges.

Stateofplay Thu 04-Oct-12 15:51:24

"Two I's, two E's, two N's, two V's" said in a sing-song voice = Vivienne. Lovely name, and by far the best spelling of it.

I don't like Fabienne (nickname Fab?) or Claudine (too cat-like) so much, Xanthe is cool.

YouMayLogOut Thu 04-Oct-12 15:56:43

Just take away the C and you get Lorinda, which isn't as chlorine-y.

Other names ending in "inda"... Belinda, Melinda, Lucinda.

picnicbasketcase Thu 04-Oct-12 16:03:20

Dorinda?

Anonymumous Thu 04-Oct-12 20:00:49

How about Clarissa then?

halloweeneyqueeney Thu 04-Oct-12 20:05:27

I think it sounds like medication, or medicated cream (possibly anti-fungal), sorry!

like Joy and Claudine though

puffylovett Thu 04-Oct-12 20:26:30

Agree revthoughts of fungal cream.
How about - clarinda? Clarissa? Jacinta?

Wigeon Thu 04-Oct-12 20:35:24

Before I opened the thread I also thought that Clorinda sounded like some kind of medicine for some nasty disease, or a cleaning product. Sorry!

How about a name ending in O? To get away from all the girls-names-ending-in-A. Eg Cleo. Or Chloe for another E name.

Elvisrules Fri 05-Oct-12 17:13:50

I'm outing myself here but may I suggest my name of Philippa Joy?

Think its rather nice

NotChristmasCarol Sat 06-Oct-12 17:31:30

Thanks everyone for the sanity-restoring buckets of cold water, which have also given me a few chuckles. Bath-cleaning products and foot-fungus for my Precious Second Born indeed!

I'm now on Seraphina Joy. Please don't tell me you hate it (oh, go on then) because I think it might be "the one". Unless "the one" is actually Seraphine Joy..... But Seraphine: too much like the Maternity shop?

Whichever one it is ("ina" or "ine") I feel I'm onto something. It's the first name that has felt really right.

1944girl Sat 06-Oct-12 17:35:25

The only time I ever heard of Clorinda was at school, when we had a song in music lesson.One of the lines was ''Clorinda, the fairest of maidens is she''.
I hated that song.

YouMayLogOut Sat 06-Oct-12 17:39:30

Seraphina Joy is a lovely name! smile

Seraphine doesn't flow quite as well, I think.

Claudine is my favourite on your list smile I also love Odette which I think fits your criteria?
And as for hormonal name choices... I was convinced I was going to name DD Zombie for months grin the look of relief on my poor DH's face when I changed my mind was spectacular!

Glad you have ditched the mouthwash name.
I love serephina, it was on my list for dd2 and I really regret not using it.

Ephiny Sat 06-Oct-12 21:05:49

Seraphina wouldn't be my first choice personally, but is much nicer than Clorinda/Florinda.

LadyPlainJane Sat 06-Oct-12 21:48:01

Seraphina Joy is lovely, it's unusual but not wierd. I think it's a fab name.

Vivienne is also very nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now