Are fifties names having a revival?

(191 Posts)
Jusfloatingby Wed 03-Oct-12 16:47:22

In the last couple of months I've heard of a baby Jill, a baby Hilary and a baby Judy. I think of these as very fifties Enid Blytoney type names and am just wondering if the fashion for early twentieth century names like Edith, Iris and Ethel is now moving on to another stage?
I love the names Jill and Judy by the way.

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Wed 03-Oct-12 21:32:13

I know of a Sally who'll be about preschool age now, and a Claire and a Susanna of about 9 or 10. Claire is more 60s/70s than 50s, though.

One of my classmates at secondary at the end of the 80s had a little sister called Jill. I also knew a Sally and an Alison.

squoosh Wed 03-Oct-12 22:14:27

Colin is the pits!

I am banning anyone from calling their poor sons Colin.

mulranno Wed 03-Oct-12 22:24:31

Friends of mine have babies named Sylvia, Gloria and Maggie -- agree with another who said girls could carry it -- but boys -- Gordon? Keith? Trevor?

AgathaPinchBottom Wed 03-Oct-12 22:27:22

Ha this post made me giggle...
What would Bernard, Margery, Bessie, Susan and Carol be up to then?

mulranno Wed 03-Oct-12 22:28:39

Worse is the Irish 50s versions - so Geraldine, Kathleen, Bridie, Philomena, Bernadette, Maureen, Francis

squoosh Wed 03-Oct-12 22:29:44

Sylvia, Gloria and Maggie sound like the coolest sisters ever!

But yes, the boys names don't have quite the same zing. Maurice, Malcolm and Geoffrey . . . . . . . not quite so fabulous.

poppydaisy Wed 03-Oct-12 22:30:44

I like Gordon. Not that keen on Keith though....

AgathaPinchBottom Wed 03-Oct-12 22:31:58

Winifred would no doubt be head girl, with Doris as deputy, but Gladys and Betty?

My baby girl (when she's born) Is going to be called Summer Rose Florence Patrcia Scarlett S smile

SrirachaGirl Wed 03-Oct-12 22:43:53

I've always loved Jean and Joan, thanks to Enid B. Joan was Eliabeth Allen's sensible friend and Jean was the clever, witty Scottish girl in Mallory Towers. I think there was a Mavis but wasn't she the silly one with delusions of grandeur?

We know a little Patsy. I think it's great...such a refreshing change from all the current names smile.

NigellasGuest Wed 03-Oct-12 22:58:30

I love Jean...

and what about Julie? more 60s than 50s perhaps, but still due a revival IMO

SingingSands Wed 03-Oct-12 23:09:03

I think Julie is great, and definitely due a revival. I'd name a DD Julie.

NanaNina Wed 03-Oct-12 23:38:16

What an interesting thread. I was born in 1944 and hate my name but luckily it can be shortened into quite a nice name. I remember the kid's names at school in the 50s. as already listed by another poster. I think whoever said that it is the grandparent's names that are back in fashion is right, and not the Maureens, Eileens, Cynthias and John Derek and Victor of the 50s. YUK horrible names. The Florences, Amies, Lilys are back. I hate the new trend for American names, Maddison, Harrison etc.

No can't be doing with Jean - she definitely works in a chip shop! Hairdressers used to have their names as the shop name - I recall Phyllis and Barbara - written in curly writing.

Can't believe the poster who likes Sylvia, Gloria (yuk) and Maggie. I have a friend called Gloria and she hates it and goes by Glo. She said at school she was often called "in exelcis deo!"

I know some triplets called Alice, Mabel and Phoebe. Like Alice but not the others. There are 2 Arthurs in our road (both under 2) and a Henry, but think it would be unusual to call a child Colin or Janet now.

The prettiest girls names I think are some of the Irish names (my dil is Irish) and there are Roseannas, Roisins, Catrins, Catrionas, Aseling, Orla and many more I can't recall.

ErrorError Wed 03-Oct-12 23:45:44

If I was to name any DC after any of my elders I'd end up with Barbara, Sydney, Muriel, Fred. Ho hum...! There was an Alice and Tamar, which aren't so bad but not common.

Whenever I think of a typical 50s name though, I always end up thinking of, Eileen, Pauline, Diane, Christine, Ruth. Conjuring up images of housewives, nurses and secretaries.

All 50s men to me are Brian, Eric or John. No idea why.

Agreed that the names cycle every 50-60 years due to being used on the grandchildren. My middle name is a common middle name but very old fashioned. (probably 3rd most common after Jane or Louise in the 80s)

ErrorError Wed 03-Oct-12 23:49:43

Malcolm is another one... you don't hear of many baby Malcolm's these days. Or do you?

spookytoo Thu 04-Oct-12 00:06:49

I am probably outing you here 1944girl.
You missed Anne from your list, there were always Annes in the 50s. Possibly influenced by Princess Anne's birth.

spookytoo Thu 04-Oct-12 00:08:08

Funny there are so many Henrys. Prince Harry must be an influence there I think.

squoosh Thu 04-Oct-12 00:10:54

It's all about what's familiar isn't it NannaNina? I'm Irish so to me Irish names are very run of the mill, whereas Sylvia and Gloria are from a good generation ago so have started to sound fabulously vintage!

CheerfulYank Thu 04-Oct-12 00:25:02

What about a little boy named Roger?

My cousin is Keith, he's 17.

lisianthus Thu 04-Oct-12 06:24:45

To an Aussie ear, Heather and Christine are very 70s names.

I love Jane and Susan. I know a couple of little Patricias and a small Margaret (all in London).

tethersend Thu 04-Oct-12 06:48:27

I have an Angie and a Shirley, and I am exceptionally hip grin

Oh and I know a Henrietta. Is that 50s?

BlueSkySinking Thu 04-Oct-12 08:13:25

Colin, Alan, Ken, Brian,

mommybunny Thu 04-Oct-12 09:12:00

I just wanted to call attention to the fabulousness of one of the names in 1944girl's list which everyone seems somehow to have missed: Blanche. Just wow.

melika Thu 04-Oct-12 09:25:50

My name makes me feel old it's one of those in the 50's but I was born middle 60's. I sometimes wish I was called something trendier eg Debbie!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now