Are fifties names having a revival?

(191 Posts)
Jusfloatingby Wed 03-Oct-12 16:47:22

In the last couple of months I've heard of a baby Jill, a baby Hilary and a baby Judy. I think of these as very fifties Enid Blytoney type names and am just wondering if the fashion for early twentieth century names like Edith, Iris and Ethel is now moving on to another stage?
I love the names Jill and Judy by the way.

googlyeyes Wed 03-Oct-12 18:40:31

I think it will be our daughters who take up these names with gusto!

For me, Joan, Jean, Rita etc are not just old lady names but are v v meh as every woman of a certain age as I was growing up was called one of about 6 or 7 names like that and I can't make the leap to seeing them as cool just yet. They're just too recent for me.

It's a theory born out of my experience re dd's name (Lily)...MIL and a few other similar aged rellies were horrified, saying it was an old lady name on the way to extinction. Little did they know how it was racing up the top names chart!

I think you need at least a couple of generations' distance before names regain their cool as a whole new audience 'discovers' them

Must stop reading this thread. I have no intention of having another baby but I would love a little Rita. And looking at that list 1944girl posted, even Jacqueline is looking glamorous!

perfectstorm Wed 03-Oct-12 18:46:29

I think they will come back, but not quite yet. Basically all the original Ella, Elsie, Alfred, Freddie, Daisy and Rubys died and the names stopped being associated with old ladies. It's going to take another twenty years, I think, before Janet, Colin, Nigel, Gail etc come back in.

I don't think either Susie or Sally ever went out. I was at university with 3 Sallys and I knew two Sues.

perfectstorm Wed 03-Oct-12 18:47:17

For me, Joan, Jean, Rita etc are not just old lady names but are v v meh as every woman of a certain age as I was growing up was called one of about 6 or 7 names like that and I can't make the leap to seeing them as cool just yet. They're just too recent for me.

It's a theory born out of my experience re dd's name (Lily)...MIL and a few other similar aged rellies were horrified, saying it was an old lady name on the way to extinction. Little did they know how it was racing up the top names chart!

Yes, this.

perfectstorm Wed 03-Oct-12 18:48:04

Though funnily enough I know a couple of Americans who think Audrey is lovely. To me, it's a complete Granny name. 1930s though, so probably due a bit of a renaissance?

JumpJockey Wed 03-Oct-12 18:54:12

I'd like to know when/if Mavis will ever come back in. It just seems to be one of the old lady names that's a step too far...

bialystockandbloom Wed 03-Oct-12 19:08:28

A few of the girls' names not so bad imo, but some of the boys' would be awful.

Derek or Donald anyone?

My name screams 1950s and I hate it. No one has ever been given my name since 1959.
In my class at school in the 60s there were about seven Susans.
Other common names were;
Carol
Deborah
Christine
Ann
Gail
Sheila
I don't recall any Jills though, more 1930s I think? Also Jean and Joan are def 30s not 50s names.

ggirl Wed 03-Oct-12 19:16:14

googlyeyes yy when I told elderly relatives of dd's name 21 yrs ago they were not impressed...Rose.
They couldn't believe I would use such an old fashioned name.

CaseyShraeger Wed 03-Oct-12 19:18:11

I think it's heading that way. I found that with DC3 a few names from my parents' generation (born late 40s - early 50s) had crept onto my list, which hadn't been the case with DC1 (I still went for safe turn-of-the-century name in the end, though).

I know an 8yo Audrey who is lovely.

Bue Wed 03-Oct-12 19:20:36

Audrey is massive in the States, in the top 50 at least.

Jusfloatingby Wed 03-Oct-12 19:25:25

I grew up in Dublin so don't have the mumsy associations that English people have with names like Janet, Jill etc. To me they are just lovely nostalgic names from the books I enjoyed reading as a child.
I would love to see them come back in fashion.

StellaNova Wed 03-Oct-12 19:26:09

Ooh, I love Audrey. I know a five year old Audrey, is v pretty - Audrey Hepburn, Audrey-from-Twin-Peaks (puts 90s hat on)...

My dd3, 4 months, is called Elsie. People were shocked when we said her name and got the 'that's an old ladies name'

liquorsquicker Wed 03-Oct-12 19:28:27

Yes 1944girl! I was also at school in the 50s and had all of the same names in class with me - as well as Heather, Dorothy and Jennifer. The only name I liked then and still like now, was Stephanie. And I was one of a number of Judys!

WhatWouldGrandmaDo Wed 03-Oct-12 19:34:03

My former boss was a Colin (born in 1950s). When I was pregnant with DS1 he suggested Colin (I'd found out I was having a boy) and I do think he was only half joking.

thegreylady Wed 03-Oct-12 19:49:53

I love Joan but I was an Abbey Girls fan! I was born in 1944 my name is Valerie and I hate it.

pissovski Wed 03-Oct-12 20:03:36

DS's middle name is Colin, after FIL who died when i was 6 months pg.

Em2010 Wed 03-Oct-12 20:18:42

Ooh I like Audrey. Wouldn't be so sure about Deirdre though!

I know a baby Sandra...

delphinedownunder Wed 03-Oct-12 20:20:12

I think that Susan is a lovely name. Pity it gets shortened to Sue.

Jean, pronunciation of, confused the hell out of me as a kid (French mum).

EB....Rory, Bets, Fatty, Julian.....I know one Rory, 18 y.o., pretty quiet and trendy.

Romilly70 Wed 03-Oct-12 20:46:05

Been watching the Mad Men re-runs

The characters definitely make the names more attractive; top of the list is
Joan (Holloway)
Peggy (Olsen)
Bettty (Draper) - although i prefer Betsey

CheerfulYank Wed 03-Oct-12 20:53:22

They'll definitely come back, though I don't know if they have yet.

In a few years it will be "Pearl, with her daughters Pamela and Tammy..." smile

poppydaisy Wed 03-Oct-12 21:14:45

I recently met a baby Susannah and a little Quentin. Actually am starting to like them now.

HairyPoppins Wed 03-Oct-12 21:29:33

In the mid-80s I was at primary school with two brothers called Colin and Nigel, which seemed quite middle-aged at the time, although I know three more Colins in their 30s, and I considered it for my (now 2yo) DD had she been a boy.

I always think of Norma as a 1950s style name. I used to work with a Norma who had a twin brother called Norman, so I guess her mum or dad was quite big on the name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now