Am I setting my daughter up for a lifetime of teasing?!

(94 Posts)
unsurealways Wed 03-Oct-12 11:19:54

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster.
My first child is due imminently. I have a list of names that i'm taking to the hospital with me, and I love them all equally. I'm hoping that once she arrives she just 'IS' one of the names as that would make my life so much easier lol.

I'm a bit worried that my taste is a bit ... out there. I love all my names, and think they all suit what a daughter of mine would probably grow up to be. But I wouldn't want her to be bullied for being to weird or poncy sounding.

So here's the list. I'm after honest opinions on whether these names sound weird, poncy etc. Which is nicest/most accessible and which you prefer.

Indigo Iris Bloom - Indie.
Lilith Emmanuella - Lily, but only Lilith at home.
Raphaela Marina - Raffie.
Sabine Allegra June - I love both sa-BEAN and sa-been-eh pronounciations, and am still unsure which I love the most.
Salome Willow - May.
Calliope Saoirse - Callie. (kal-eye-oh-pee / seer-sha)
Persephone Joy - Effie.

MadBusLady Wed 03-Oct-12 13:33:58

My favourite poncey names of the moment are Amaryllis and Athenais (with an umlaut on the i, can't work out the shortcut.)

So you're not that poncey. grin

BoyMeetsWorld Wed 03-Oct-12 13:36:23

The Indigo of Lillith ones... The others are a little odd. Not 'bad' odd though...

annasophia Wed 03-Oct-12 13:49:07

Love them all - my favourites are Raphaela and Persephone.

I'm least keen on Lily (too popular) / Lillith (not very feminine imo).

Why on earth would such names be teased? They're lovely, elegant names!

DessieLou Wed 03-Oct-12 14:03:26

Not so keen on Calliope as it sounds a bit ugly to me. Also don't really like Salome but love all the others. Good luck in making your choice. Kids tend not to have negative perceptions when it comes to names (adults are the judgmental ones, and who cares what they think!) so I wouldn't worry too much about bullying. smile

LemonBreeland Wed 03-Oct-12 14:08:07

I like them all apart from Salome and Lilith. Only like Sabean, not sabina.

RosannaBanana Wed 03-Oct-12 14:19:12

I like them. Maybe it would be helpful to look into their meanings/stories and see if one or two particularly appeals (if you haven't done that already).

FWIW Salome is a very negative character in the Bible - hence the name remaining largely unused. Persephone means 'destruction'. Lilith is a demon. Raphael is an angel of healing so Raphaela has a nice meaning/association. Etc! You might not care about meanings etc but if you do...

Also I agree that she will probably look more like some names than others. Good luck and congrats!

LuellaLovesLavender Wed 03-Oct-12 14:41:12

Oh my gosh you have fabulous taste.....it's so hard to choose! I don't think she would have any teasing problems if anything her classmates would be jealous! The only one I really dislike would be Raphaela! And would suggest changing Indigo to India! If I was to make my own combination out of your list I would go for Persephone Iris......just beautiful!

Stateofplay Wed 03-Oct-12 14:59:50

I like Sabine best. Calliope sounds a bit like a medical instrument, I think. I also like Allegra and Saoirse as possible first names.

To be honest, I don't really pay much attention to middle names - in my book they're for continuing family traditions and honouring family members/friends. But that's just me!

unsurealways Wed 03-Oct-12 17:53:49

Thanks for all the replies, it's really been very helpful.

For whoever has mentioned it, I am aware of the dark backstories of some of these names, just so you know. I just don't really care. If a name is beautiful I like it, regardless of whoever has worn it first.

I'm not down south. I live in a working town in between Manchester and Liverpool. I'm not posh or rich or middle class either. I was raised on an estate - this has been mentioned in previous posts, So I just thought i'd fill you all in on the details and see if it made a difference in your opinions of the names. I no longer live on the estate, but I do still live in the same town and have family and friends still on the estates.

The nicknames aren't me trying to prescribe nicknames either. They'd be my preferred nicknames, for family use, but I realise I influence what anybody else uses.

Anyway, as I said, thank you very much for all the input. I appreciate the help and you've definitely given me food for thought. Maybe now that you know my circumstances you'll understand why I asked about the names sounding weird. I don't live in a bohemian place, or have bohemian friends. But I am pretty 'hippy' myself.

unsurealways Wed 03-Oct-12 18:18:44

*don't influence, that should read sorry.

kerala Wed 03-Oct-12 18:41:01

Last 2 tip into abit too out there for me like the others except Lily. There are LOADS of Lilys its become quite run of the mill so if this bothers you would avoid any name that will end up with Lily as a nickname. Also second the 2 middle names - we did this with DD1 and have regretted it have quietly dropped one of the middle names as it didnt fit on forms and frankly middle names are pretty pointless anyway there is no upside to having two.

vamosbebe Wed 03-Oct-12 21:15:12

Does anyone actually get teased for their name? I've never come across that in my short 37 years - and my older sister has a humdinger!!

Size, height, hair colour, glasses, accent, "your daddy's not in the 'right' military service(ie he's not a marine!), lack of coordination, shyness...... lots of these I've had or been witness to with teasing, but nothing to do with names!

TaperJeanGirl Wed 03-Oct-12 21:49:35

I think we have similar tastes, I have used 2 names from your list for dd3, and another of your names was very nearly my dd2s name, I live in poncetastic shoreditch, nobody has ever openly teased any of my kids for their names that I know of, and tbh I know kids with far more unusual names, from your list I LOVE Raphaela Marina, Raffie is so sweet smile

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Wed 03-Oct-12 21:54:29

Indigo is the only name I like. Sorry. Find the rest a bit too try hard and terribly terribly.

TheBuskersDog Wed 03-Oct-12 22:18:05

Indigo sounds like a boy's name to me, probably because it sounds like Inigo. Sorry I can't understand why if you want to call your daughter May you wouldn't register her as May, rather than Salome.
I think Iris and Willow are pretty names, but as another poster said some of the names do sound a bit 'try hard'.

cory Wed 03-Oct-12 22:20:20

the expression 'an Indigo child' is used by certain types of parents of a child that is considered so special and "spiritually mature" that it cannot be bound by the rules that apply to other children (=what the rest of us define as a spoilt brat). So I would never use that as a name, for fear of the other parents thinking that's what I'm trying to say.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children

Hulababy Wed 03-Oct-12 22:20:23

My favourite is Personphone with nn effie. Lovely

Hulababy Wed 03-Oct-12 22:26:33

I'm up north in Yorkshire too and hey don't sound too out there to me.

Lots of people will know Persephone I reckon. Was a character on Holby City with he name in too long ago too, although nn was penny. Much prefer Effie though

PoppyAmex Wed 03-Oct-12 22:28:25

These names are unusual understated and lovely. I love them all. Ignore the cunts on here and go with your heart

Understated, really? grin

OP, I think some of the names are nice individually - the combinations are just a little bit "try hard". Having said that, she'll probably only use the first name anyway.

lotsofcheese Wed 03-Oct-12 22:31:45

Mmmmm... Sorry to say that I find most of the names a little contrived

TempusFuckit Wed 03-Oct-12 22:31:49

I like Persephone, but having had a cat called that, I can tell you her name will most commonly be mistaken for Stephanie. Not that that really matters.

Heebiejeebie Wed 03-Oct-12 22:43:38

I don't get chosing the 'a first name, b second name' combination unless you're into numerology or similar. It's an in-your-head daydreamy thing, a bit like practising your new signature for when you get married to the cool boy in the lower VI. The words will rarely be said together. Why not pick the name that you like best, which will be used a billion times and then a middle name that means something or goes, which will be on her passport and precious little else.

lljkk Wed 03-Oct-12 22:49:28

They aren't my taste but they are fine & won't particularly attract teasing.

I thought you were going to suggest something like "Melon" or "Toiletta"!

LizLemon007 Wed 03-Oct-12 23:18:57

Sabine Allegra June is the only one that grabs me. Some of the others, eeeooow. I dislike Saoirse tbh. And mixed in with your list it's so out of place.

nickeldaisical Thu 04-Oct-12 10:58:09

i disagree, Heebie
i like to say my name with the middle name too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now