Amanda

(18 Posts)
Jusfloatingby Tue 02-Oct-12 16:16:09

A friend just called her baby this. I can't decide if it's classical or a bit dated??

It's a baby confused

Jusfloatingby Tue 02-Oct-12 16:19:06

Sorry?

It just seems a bit mean spirited to start a thread about an actual baby, rather than a hypothetical discussion of a name.
Might be just me though. Sorry, as you were.

Jusfloatingby Tue 02-Oct-12 16:22:17

What are you on about? I'm asking what people think of the name, not of the baby. confused

YouMayLogOut Tue 02-Oct-12 17:31:41

It's a lovely name smile

ImpYCelyn Tue 02-Oct-12 18:29:49

I like Amanda.

But I agree with scented.

Jusfloatingby Wed 03-Oct-12 10:04:23

Still not with you? People are discussing the name Drew Barrymore has given her 'actual' baby and practically every name discussed on here belongs to 'actual' children. confused.

But there's a difference between 'I'm thinking of naming my baby X, please critique' and 'my friend has already named her baby X, and I think it's a bit naff.'.
Not having a go OP, (I was a grumpy cow yesterday, I shouldn't have commented in the first place) but I just found it a bit of a mean thread.

annasophia Wed 03-Oct-12 12:08:06

Why do you feel the need 'to decide' whether you like your friends' name confused.

Jusfloatingby Wed 03-Oct-12 14:53:47

For Jesus sake. I was just idly pondering on the name and asked, totally anonymously, what people thought of it. I'm not conducting a poll to present to my friend or anything.

Why do people feel the need to 'decide' whether they like Drew Barrymore's baby name or Reece Witherspoone's. It's just a bit of idle chat about a name.

Some of you really take this forum a little bit too seriously.

winkle2 Thu 04-Oct-12 00:24:17

Hate it with a passion

Jusfloatingby Thu 04-Oct-12 11:28:41

I can imagine it being considered very vintage and pretty in about forty years or so. I predict a big revival.

shoppingtrolley Thu 04-Oct-12 11:32:55

What about calling a baby Almond?

shoppingtrolley Thu 04-Oct-12 11:33:34

Or more likely Armande! blush http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armande_Béjart

airedailleurs Thu 04-Oct-12 11:35:13

It was very popular when I was born, don't really like it, but as usual I like the French version, Amandine smile

TittyWhistles Thu 04-Oct-12 11:37:06

Its bleh.

That's the second time I've used that word to describe a girls name (prospective or otherwise) on MN.

I hope there isn't going to be a resurgence of bleh, boring 'too old to be modern, not old enough to be vintage' names.

Jusfloatingby Thu 04-Oct-12 11:55:14

I know what you mean Titty. It's more a seventies name really. I think it's very pretty but just doesn't have the charm and nostalgia that goes with some of the older names. But as I said, I can see it being considered a lovely elegant vintage name in about forty years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now