Scottish boy's name

(74 Posts)
YokoOhNo Tue 02-Oct-12 13:13:10

I need a classic, Scottish boy's name for unborn DC2. We have a girl's name ready, but are stuck for inspiration for a boy. Something easy to spell and that works in England too, where we are based for a few years.

I don't want anything too difficult to spell, so, much as I like it, Ruardhi is out. And we definitely prefer names that cannot be shortened.

We liked Callum, but English friends have thrown their hands up in horror and muttered the "c" word and that the only they know is Callum Best.

Any ideas?

BonaDea Tue 16-Oct-12 10:10:11

Oooh - and Kirk.

BonaDea Tue 16-Oct-12 10:09:29

lurkerspeaks - I LOVE eilidh for a girl, but DH has objected to it for the 'Eyelid' reason (he is English, I am Scottish and we live in London)

BonaDea Tue 16-Oct-12 10:08:30

I love Struan.

There's also Magnus and Mungo (St Mungo is the patron saint of Glasgow), but it is probably quite teaseable.

Also love Alexander, shortened to Sandy.

Lachlan is on our list as well (as far as I know it is not spelled Lauchlan, but Lachlan, pronounced Lochlan, but I guess you can spell it however you like). It's a really popular name in Australia.

lurkerspeaks Mon 15-Oct-12 21:58:43

I love Sandy.... Alexander has gone in my family but I wind the 'user' of it up by calling her son Sandy. She hates the abbreviation!

I would go with something easy and not wacky - Rory/ Calum/ Fraser/ Hamish (love it!)/ Gregor/

Spelling/ Pronunciation will possible be an issue if you go for anything wacky(my friends daughter in the South East is universally known as eye-lid which is sad as Eilidh is a lovely name).

scottishmummy Fri 12-Oct-12 22:55:27

Alistair
Euan
struan
James
angus
hamish

mawbroon Fri 12-Oct-12 22:24:14

I have a Sandy. Not Alexander, just Sandy. Haven't met any others so far.

dementedma Fri 12-Oct-12 22:12:23

We are in Scotland and it does depend a bit on "class" what the popular names are.
DS has friends who are Scott,Calum,Kieran,Kyle etc
More "upper class" are Ruaridh,Archie,Calum,Iain,Alisdair, Munro,Jamie
Older generation are Stuart,Neil,Douglas,Gordon,Jim

kittencuddles Fri 12-Oct-12 06:54:31

What about Stuart? Or Montgomery, Ambrose, Kerr, Moray, William, James (jimmy), Donald, Archie.

These are all names in our Scottish family

YankeeAlphaBooingUniform Mon 08-Oct-12 20:00:55

Mungo is lovely, I would never have put thta as a nickname for Kentigern though.

What about Ninian, Murdo, Kenrick?

scurryfunge Mon 08-Oct-12 19:58:48

I really liked Kentigern with nickname Mungo. I was vetoed. We now have an Angus instead.

YankeeAlphaBooingUniform Mon 08-Oct-12 19:54:27

Donald
Ewan
Fraser
Hamish
Fergus

shoppingtrolley Mon 08-Oct-12 14:16:43

Callum is wonderful. I hardly know who Callum Best is -- is he a footballer? At any rate, by the time your little Callum grows up Callum Best will be way off the scene. It'll be your little one's world then, not the world of us / you and your friends and contemporary references. Good luck!

OhBuggerandArse Mon 08-Oct-12 10:16:08

Rabbit is coineanach (or rabaid, depending on where you're from).

Coinneach is a fine name, that gets anglicised as Kenneth.

amck5700 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:11:18

I loved Calum but my sister got there first admittedly 6 years before I had any children grin

I had a Craig instead but loved Gregor too.

PoppadomPreach Sun 07-Oct-12 23:07:08

I liked Adair but was vetoed by DH.

Calum is fabulous, especially when spelt the traditional way with one 'l'. There may be many, but there are far more Jacks, Olivers and Harrys. Not sure why your friends rolled their eyes at the name!?

amck5700 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:04:08

Murdo?

sarahtigh Sun 07-Oct-12 23:02:45

I think OP said not diffiuclt to spell I so I would rule out Gaekic names that are not pronounced as written anything with ch will be pronounced ck in England think lock not loch

depends where in Scotland the roots are

lewis/ harris are islands and really quite common now

donald and murdo were very common but now much less so

to go with Euan, ( avoid Hamish / Innes and John) I would suggest Robert. alasdair alexander (nn Sandy) possibly Angus

amck5700 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:01:00

I'd stick with the short sound - if you stretch out the Alll bit, it's in danger of sounding like All bran.

amck5700 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:59:31

grin

WinkyWinkola Sun 07-Oct-12 22:57:19

Torran.

JollyJack Sun 07-Oct-12 22:56:00

I'm just wondering if I can convince DH to go for it!

I love your description!

amck5700 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:52:11

Jolly - yes exactly - Alba with an n - that's what I was trying to say - I have come across one before - it's a sort of Edinburgh public school name I would say - well, it probably wasn't but is now if you see what I mean - these names used to be used by your bog standard country folk but now they have been adopted by the upper/middle classes after they stopped with the Farquar type names and started going for the Hamish/Magnus etc names

JollyJack Sun 07-Oct-12 22:47:46

I'm scottish too, but it's not a name I've ever come across.

I had hoped it was pronounced like Alba but with an n on the end. I rather like it smile

amck5700 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:45:23

I'm scottish, I'd simply say Al-ban.

Don't have Kyle - it's a bit schemey now.....and Frazer should be Fraser, let the Yanks keep the "z"!

We almost went for Cairn but wimped out.

You could also have Moray (Murray) or Nairn.

RubberNeckerNicker Sun 07-Oct-12 22:37:58

All-ban (but I'm not scottish, so they might have other ideas grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now