Boys names...help

(42 Posts)
JoulesM Tue 02-Oct-12 00:44:40

So we have a little boy who is now over a day old and still can't agree a name....the three contenders at the moment are:

Ruriadh William (would we be cursing him to a lifetime of spelling his name and no-one knowing how to say it)

Fraser William (not sure if this is a grown ups name...and won't suit a little boy iyswim)

Struan William (again-hard to pronounce, would always need to spell)

Any opinions welcome....husband is Scottish and I'm Aussie so needs to work in both countries.

Other Scottish options we have considered...
Duncan, Lewis, Cameron

I just want to be able to call my little boy a name...husband is reluctant to decide on any too quickly!

YUNoSaySomethingNice Tue 02-Oct-12 19:51:40

Fraser, the other names are too difficult to spell and pronounce.

Cloudsinmycoffee Tue 02-Oct-12 19:55:47

I have a Ruaridh! It's a great name. We looked in the scottish births register for the year he was born, and Ruaridh was the most popular spelling, of the nine (!) variations. 43 had spelt it Ruaridh, compared to 7 Rhuaris for example. We've not had any problems with others spelling it, you just need to explain to people once and most people make an effort. I love the soft oo sound too, so much nicer to hear than Rory.

OrangeFireandGoldashes Wed 03-Oct-12 07:25:58

Fraser Melville is an awesome name!

mathanxiety Thu 04-Oct-12 05:55:40

I take back Angus. Smellville would be too tempting a nn.

potas Thu 04-Oct-12 09:21:49

Dont listen to people saying you should anglicise the name or pick one easy to spell. pick the name you love the most.
In ten years time when your little boy asks you why you called him xy or z you dont want to say - it was easy to spell! or it was a safe choice.
Struan is my personal favourite :-)

DialMforMummy Thu 04-Oct-12 09:26:13

Love Struan.

jkklpu Thu 04-Oct-12 09:28:38

not Fraser
Douglas?
Calum?

baskingseals Thu 04-Oct-12 09:29:47

i really like Struan. sounds very James Bond to me.

potas Thu 04-Oct-12 09:30:04

Also you can pick a very straightforward name and have it spelt wrong or pronounced wrong

seeker Thu 04-Oct-12 12:05:45

"Also you can pick a very straightforward name and have it spelt wrong or pronounced wrong"

Yes, occasionally. But every bloody time?

Finbert Thu 04-Oct-12 12:08:50

Ruairidh William-lovely
Have taught a Ruairidh before and didn't have a problem with pronunciation, he may have to spell it for people in future but I wouldn't let that put you off if you love it

Marmiteisyummy Thu 04-Oct-12 13:56:56

Love Ruaridh. Just added it to my list! We already have an Alasdair and though using the original Scottish spelling has meant we always have to spell it out, in reality that doesn't happen very often.
As a PP said, take your time. A name is a long time chosen and should take a long time to choose.

JoulesM Sun 07-Oct-12 22:48:07

Thanks to all who replied.

After much deliberation we have gone with Ruriadh...knowing we may be cursing him to spelling his name his whole life we chose the most popular spelling. It's going down ok so far and no-one hasn't been able to pronounce or spell once told...hope he doesn't hate us for it!!

Thanks again for all the replies/advice!

YouMayLogOut Sun 07-Oct-12 22:58:30

Thanks for posting OP, I love it when people come back and say what they've chosen! Congratulations and Ruriadh is a lovely name smile

mathanxiety Mon 08-Oct-12 05:03:45

Yay -- lovely.

mathanxiety Mon 08-Oct-12 05:04:11

But tell me you're not spelling it 'Ruriadh'?

Way2Go Mon 08-Oct-12 11:13:39

It's a lovely name but I he will be having to spell it out for the rest of his life. I know an Aoife and a Niamh (sp?) and it is a bit of a pain for everyone especially people like me who can't spell and i think Aoife and Niamh are a lot more common than Ruriadh. It's not like the letters remotely sound like the pronunciation. (I had to look up the pronounciation blush )
That being said, I have a Christian name that I always have to spell out and I can't say it bothers me. My name isn't British.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now