Henry, Hector or Hugo?

(35 Posts)
thunderpantsjenkins Mon 01-Oct-12 17:56:13

Starting to think about names for DC3. Our other DCs are Eva and George.

Love all three of the above but have a few concerns. Henry suddenly seems quite popular at the moment and as our other DCs have popular names I would prefer a less popular name for DC3 - although it is my favourite. Hector means bully. I'm not totally sure Hugo works well with our surname which is Gates.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Girls names are sorted.

Thanks!

evamummy Tue 02-Oct-12 07:06:35

Hector is awful - its meaning (bully)as well as lack of nicknames (heck?). Hugo doesn't flow that well with Gates, I agree, and Henry is very widely used already.
How about
Hugh Gates
Theodore Gates
Quentin Gates

Britchic Wed 03-Oct-12 06:52:01

I actually think Hugo Gates sounds really good, I don't see why you'd have an issue with it!

OrangeFireandGoldashes Wed 03-Oct-12 07:12:37

I immediately thought "Hugo" from the title alone, and I think Hugo Gates is a brilliant name. You can imagine a handsome actor / successful entrepreneur / head of MI5 introducing himself as Hugo Gates.

kilmuir Wed 03-Oct-12 07:14:17

None

emmyloo2 Wed 03-Oct-12 07:46:41

Hugo. Henry is nice but too popular. I don't like Hector.

Hugo is lovely. I have a George and if the next baby is a boy Hugo shall be on our list.

Bonsoir Wed 03-Oct-12 07:51:37

I love both Hugo and Henry (and I love George even more!).

PropositionJoe Wed 03-Oct-12 08:05:28

You can't have Harry because of Harrogate.

<fails to answer question>

eatyourveg Wed 03-Oct-12 08:19:48

I love the suggestion of Hubert - Bertie Gates sounds cool. Or he could be Huey/Hugh for short. It give you lots of scope for a nn

imustbepatient Wed 03-Oct-12 09:25:13

Hugo as first choice, Hector as second. Agree with others that Henry with George is just a bit overdone.

Other thoughts are:

Sebastian
Nicholas
Jonathan (nn Jonty)
Milo
Blair

lottiegarbanzo Wed 03-Oct-12 09:38:56

Hubert is good - you get Hugh without potential for reading as Huge Gates. The t then g of your surname is a bit abrupt though but both nns work. Hugo is ok too.

I think you'd have to be brave to go for Hector. It's quite bold in a Roman and traditional way. Heck and the meaning are problematic though.

Fraser just says Scottish to me. Toby is nice. Theodore Gates reads really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now