Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Is Noam TOO Jewish?

(92 Posts)
Emsiero Fri 28-Sep-12 09:20:21

Ok, so DH and I both agreed on Noam for our DS1, due shortly. We both love the name, but as my due date is looming, I am feeling a bit wobbly about it.

So, when you hear Noam, do you

- immediately think of Noam Chomsky (I don't mind this association, and have nothing against Chomsky, but I wouldn't want people to think he was named specifically after him.

- immediately think of a religious Jewish family, which we are not. I am Jewish, DH isn't, and I always wanted a name that nodded to my heritage, but I was originally just thinking of Old Testament classics, which wouldn't stand out as much. As in, there are plenty of Josephs, Samuels, etc... who aren't Jewish. Whereas Noam is a modern Hebrew name, popular in Israel. Do you think this is a problem in the UK?

As an aside, I know some people don't like it because it sounds like 'gnome', but this aspect doesn't really bother me, and we are going to pronounce it No-am (which is how it is pronounced in Hebrew). Also I like gnomes.

Honest/blunt replies are welcome, though tbh I am less interested in whether you like the name as a name (because we love it) and more interested in what judgments you might make if you met a Noam.

everlong Fri 10-May-13 10:34:51

Did think of Chomsky but I like it. A lot.

Bonsoir Fri 10-May-13 10:06:02

It definitely sounds "Jewish statement" to me. Our Jewish DC have neutral names as they are atheist and assimilated but we know plenty of families who want to proclaim their heritage and/or their faith by giving their DC Jewish names - Ariel, Zachary, Eden, Tsiporah, etc

specialmagiclady Fri 10-May-13 09:58:48

I think it's a beautiful name. Cousin Il married an Israeli and has 4 boys with Israeli names - one is Naom and I like it best of them all. But I can see why you don't want to holler JEWISH if you are (as my husband says, quoting a comedian) "only Jew-ish" And married pitWe are a Scottish/Jewish couple and we didn't want a Jock or a Moishe.

Shallishanti Thu 09-May-13 18:13:48

Noah less Jewish???

Scruffey Thu 09-May-13 12:11:43

Never heard of it and would think it was a typo for Noah if I saw it written down. Would not even have made a Jewish connection!

KittenofDoom Thu 09-May-13 12:01:50

Zombie thread

Littlehousesomewhere Thu 09-May-13 09:19:46

I have never heard if Noam before. And if I heard it I would think that the parents were from a different culture. It does sound very similar to Noah the way I imagine it pronounced, so maybe Noah is less Jewish sounding?

piprabbit Thu 09-May-13 03:38:56

First thought Chomsky.

Second thought - child will be know as Garden Noam at school.

LittleMissLucy Thu 09-May-13 03:25:59

There is no such thing as being too Jewish a name, as far as I can see.
Its a lovely name.
Be prepared for people to stumble and mis-prounounce it "Noah" frequently though.
I think if you like it, go for it.
My DH wanted to name our DS1 Cael (pronounced cale) and where we live, the vegetable, KALE is a big salad option so I'm glad we didn't, but if it had been a name we both loved I'd have done it.

raisah Thu 09-May-13 01:27:18

How Zakariah nn Zak, its a very well known old testament name which has become mainstream. Lots of people from different cultural/religious backgrounds use the name so its not seen as too Jewish.

burberryqueen Thu 09-May-13 00:33:28

if i heard this name i would think the family were Israeli or intellectuals or both. Also could you bear to have a son called 'gnome' - wouldnt that really get on your nerves after a while, having to correct people all the time?

EmmyFlavs Thu 09-May-13 00:17:37

Oh for gods sake, stop trying to create a racist when there isnt one....Its pathetic.

slhilly Wed 08-May-13 20:51:49

I wrote appear deliberately. It's a public forum and you stated something pretty shocking in a lighthearted way. I wasn't going to let it just hang out there, without pushing to get more context. Without that context, it reads extremely uncomfortably.

Reading, or even approving of, the work of Chomsky and his proteges does not make a person incapable of prejudice. We are all capable of prejudice. Creating groups and lumping everyone in together within those groups and treating them as if they act as one.

lovemybabyboy Wed 08-May-13 20:33:25

I never heard the name before so wouldn't have thought its very Jewish from hearing the name....I like it, if you both like it just go for it.

KittenofDoom Wed 08-May-13 19:50:30

Who's Naom? I thought the name under discussion was Noam.

Shallishanti Wed 08-May-13 19:44:19

I would think Chomsky, primarily for the language stuff, it would take me a while to get to 'jewish' and I certainly wouldn't think Zionist. Depending on your background, it's an unusual name so I would think you were admirers of him and hence his politics. Unless you were obviously Jewish and then I would think 'oh...right...it's a jewish name' but then I am a bit slow with those kinds of things!

thermalsinapril Wed 08-May-13 19:41:57

Thread is from last year so baby will be named by now. Wonder what OP decided smile

EmmyFlavs Wed 08-May-13 19:34:47

we could never be together 'sadly' because my Mother is Catholic and wouldn't approve...Dont bring the racist card to me please, I am a HUGE fan of Chomsky, and you read wayyyyy too much into my 'lighthearted' post...I mean with respect, the fact that I read not only Chomsky's work particularly regarding his activism against zionism, but I also read the work of his proteges !!

Lovely name - like the sound and the look of it.

Zipitydooda Wed 08-May-13 17:29:10

I would think Israeli family rather than Jewish specifically.

Do you know that there is a Jewish Youth Movement called Noam?Round my way people would think he was named after a youth club.

slhilly Wed 08-May-13 17:23:41

EmmyFlavs, you're writing in a light-hearted style but you're saying some things that look pretty inflammatory, to put it mildly. And one of them appears (*appears*) to be racist: "Incidentally Naom is of Jewish descent, which is why we could never be together, sadly!!!"

Why would someone's religion mean you could never be together with them? Is there a non-racist explanation for this? I'm struggling to think what it could be.

ZZZenagain Wed 08-May-13 17:19:12

If you hadn't put the word Jewish in your title, I wouldn't even have thought of it being a Jewish name tbh. If you had just asked, "what do you think of when you hear the name Noam", I wouldn't have made any connection with Judaism, Israel or Zionism.

I like it - pronounced as you plan to pronounce it with two syllables (no-am).

EmmyFlavs Wed 08-May-13 17:09:15

Incidentally Naom is of Jewish descent, which is why we could never be together, sadly!!! He is an anti zionist Jew, who should have fathered my children.

Caladria Wed 08-May-13 17:07:23

Love the name.

EmmyFlavs Wed 08-May-13 16:59:23

Nothing remotely Jewish about Naom Chomsky, he is an anti zionist and you only have to see the association between himself and Prof Norman Finkelstein to see that!!

I love Naom, and I believe if we met, he would love me too!!

Emma 4 Naom 4 ever

Incidentally ''The Holocaust Industry' By Finkelstein is a good read, it was the thesis for his PHD that he couldnt get signed off for 12 years, until he got a call from Chomsky at MIT who said ' I have read your Thesis, and its sounds about right to me'' A real eye opener of a book. Finkelstein is the son of Holocaust survivors, and yet still the zionists call him anti semitic!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now