William - Billy?

(23 Posts)
3rdbump Sun 23-Sep-12 13:51:54

My OH was a traditional family name for our son, am 26 weeks pregnant and cannot come to agreement on a name..i like Beau and he doesnt, he really wants Arthur after his grandad - but i don't like it and cannot imagine calling our boy something we didnt agree on.
However i have compromised on William (a family name) and having Billy for short.....
How common is Billy for a baby boy?

I have a William (2yo) and we seem to meet a lot of other boys similar ages called William/Will so think it's quite popular at the moment - haven't met any Billy's though smile

ValiumQueen Sun 23-Sep-12 13:55:54

I have a girl Billie and there are no other boys or girls in her nursery, and none in my elder child's class with the same name. Have a look on the stats website. Even if there are not many now, there is no guarantee it will not trend. I love it.

I've got a William who's Billy he's 11mo and I've not met another in his age group yet.

Insignificunt Sun 23-Sep-12 14:04:35

I have a William who's a Blue (used to be called WillaBaloobyBabyBoy which got shortened to Blue - it's obvious now isn't it??!grin). Dh likes Billy but it's never really suited ds.

Badgerina Sun 23-Sep-12 14:22:07

I like it. I don't know any little Williams or Billys and we live in Central London.

YouMayLogOut Sun 23-Sep-12 14:26:36

William is a great name with a good selection of nicknames too. I don't know of any baby Billys.

usualsuspect3 Sun 23-Sep-12 14:28:10

I know a teenager called Billy, but that's his name, not William known as Billy.

SandStorm Sun 23-Sep-12 14:33:39

I know a lot of Williams but no Billys.

FunnysInLaJardin Sun 23-Sep-12 14:35:23

when we had DS1 that was our other name choice. He was very nearly William nn Billy. Instead we went with Fabian. So I think it's a fab name!

billysmum10 Sun 23-Sep-12 15:13:56

I have one smile and there must be at least one more on mn as the nn billysmum was taken wink
There are plenty of Williams we know but ours is the only Billy in his age group (he's 2) I know a uni aged Billy and a grown up one (Bill) who are both Williams. I love it , he's sometimes Bill instead of Billy but he's never William, I just don't think of him as a William although that's on his birth certificate.

IWipeArses Sun 23-Sep-12 15:21:19

William was on our list, would have been Bill. grin It's a lovely name and has lots of flexibility for nicknames which I consider important.

Our friends have a 3 year old William who is only known as Billy.

Frontpaw Sun 23-Sep-12 15:22:54

I had an uncle billy. He was lovely and very funny.

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Sun 23-Sep-12 15:23:53

I really like it and it's not too common. Most Williams I know are will not billy.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 23-Sep-12 15:26:12

Of the Williams I know none are called Billy

jollster Sun 23-Sep-12 15:50:45

terribly biased as i have one but think it's a great name. Know a couple of other Williams but only one other Billy in our quite wide children circle. My Billy is 4. Actually his middle name is Arthur which was my dad's name. Think they go really well?

shinyblackgrape Sun 23-Sep-12 15:53:40

I hate it but only as its FIL's name and I really don't like him. Ironically, before I met him, I did like it as I do really like Billy as a nn. So I would go for it! grin

foosty Sun 23-Sep-12 16:04:50

I have a William who's a Billy smile
He's nearly 4.

I don't know of any others, certainly not in his nursery or the adjoining primary school, although I have occasionally heard other mums shout for their Billy's at soft plays, parks etc. Hardly ever though - like maybe 4 times.

I must admit I wasn't that keen on it at first but he suits it so much! It's pretty cute, plus he can be known as William if he gets a terribly serious and important job when he grows up grin

wkmmum Sun 23-Sep-12 19:33:01

My 8yo is a William. Fully intended for him to be William on the birth certificate but was going to call him Billy. But when he was born he just didn't look like a Billy!

A few people call him Wills but other than that he's just known as William xx

bigbluebump Sun 23-Sep-12 20:18:03

Billy is a much better nickname than Willy!

Although where does the 'B' come from in the name William confused?

bigbluebump Sun 23-Sep-12 20:18:49

Although Silly Billy might be tempting for silly schoolboys...?

QuickLookBusy Sun 23-Sep-12 20:21:27

Love it, it was my grandad's name and was top of our list if we'd had a boy.

I know two, a 19 yo who is known as Will and a 6 yo who is known as William.

rezzle Sun 23-Sep-12 22:22:28

I know three Billys the same age as DS (12mo). I also know a few teenage Billys so imagine it's pretty constantly popular. I do love it though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now