Is Tristan a chav name???

(43 Posts)
AreYouAbleMabel Tue 31-Jul-12 18:28:28

I hate using that word but I read a comment on a previous thread that it was a chavtastic name confused I think it is anything but!!!!

So what do you think? I have only ever met one and he was defo not chav! Have you met any, and what were they like?? Tanx.

Anonymumous Tue 20-Nov-12 11:22:47

It wouldn't strike me as chavvy at all - in fact, if I met a chav who had used the name Tristan, I would be impressed at their imagination and wonder whether I had misjudged them!

And Tristan from the 'All Creatures Great and Small' series was a cool sort of chap. (Although not quite as cool as his brother Siegfried who I had a bit of a reader's crush on. blush )

mbbh Mon 19-Nov-12 21:54:56

I hate this name (just my opinion) it's so common!

Sarcalogos Wed 01-Aug-12 00:28:12

Vair mc name.

Nice too! grin

MagdalenaAlec Wed 01-Aug-12 00:16:39

Tristan & Isolde yes. Not chavvy imo, even in the US.
Oh and I love Esyllt too, I know one who is French.

madaboutmadmen Tue 31-Jul-12 21:52:48

Spelt Trystan it is an old Welsh name from an old Welsh legend called Trystan and Esyllt, not chav at all. google 'trystan' for more.

PeazlyPops Tue 31-Jul-12 21:52:31

The only Tristan I've ever known was a vile criminal!

NiceViper Tue 31-Jul-12 21:17:02

Thanks mejon - it was bugging me!

And I must now confess my mistake, as the boy was Tristram.

sonniboo Tue 31-Jul-12 21:12:31

A person can be a 'chav', not a name by itself. A name may become associated as chavvy if a lot of 'chavs' use it. Don't think Tristan is though.

But I do find Tristan far too close to triste = sad in French/latin.

mejon Tue 31-Jul-12 20:38:57

My brother is one but spelt with a 'y' which is the Welsh spelling. Far from 'chavvy' I'd say. NiceViper - the 70s sitcom was George and Mildred I think.

ghosteditor Tue 31-Jul-12 19:49:18

and by the way, I think it's a fab name!

Yes! That's the one! Ohhh I fell in love with Brad watching that film <sighs>

RightUpMyRue Tue 31-Jul-12 19:46:09

So relieved to hear these opinions. I was tempted not to click on the thread because I don't want my beautiful boys name ruined. PHEW!

ghosteditor Tue 31-Jul-12 19:43:11

That would be Legends of the Fall mrs rhett (fans self)

CheerfulYank Tue 31-Jul-12 19:42:46

Legends of the Falls Rhett. Or Fall? confused

grin Chan!

Brad Pitt was called Tristan in that film I really really love but can't for the life of me remember what its called...

Anywho, he didn't look like a chav in it.

Love the name btw and fwiw I don't know any rl Tristans

Lovely name. The only association I have with the name is Tristan and Isolde. Didn't even know its Arthurian. I haven't met any real life Tristan.

Chandon Tue 31-Jul-12 19:38:17

it's what chavvy people would call their dog grin

just kidding

Londonista1975 Tue 31-Jul-12 19:37:31

It's got middle and upper class connotations and for me it's as far from being a chivvy name as I can think of.

It's a lovely name and one that isn't popular which is always a plus point in my book.

MattDamonIsMyLover Tue 31-Jul-12 19:37:28

A bit effeminate and weedy, though.

CheerfulYank Tue 31-Jul-12 19:36:54

<now this is stuck in my head...love it! >

Here (in America) I'm afraid it is. Along with Tristyn, etc. And I know a few girls called it as well.

messtins Tue 31-Jul-12 19:36:46

I know a couple of grown up Tristans who are on the posh side, and one is a vet, but the only child I know of that name is decidedly not posh ( I don't like to label him a Chav) I think it is filtering down the scale.....

MattDamonIsMyLover Tue 31-Jul-12 19:36:44

No, or not yet at any rate.

patosullivan Tue 31-Jul-12 19:34:48

I would say Tristan is the sort of name public schoolboys have. Definitely not chavvy!

GoranisGod Tue 31-Jul-12 19:34:44

I really wanted tristan or julian-dh said hell NO!

I have just asked him if he thinks it is a chav name and he said decidedly not....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now