Is Tristan a chav name???

(43 Posts)
AreYouAbleMabel Tue 31-Jul-12 18:28:28

I hate using that word but I read a comment on a previous thread that it was a chavtastic name confused I think it is anything but!!!!

So what do you think? I have only ever met one and he was defo not chav! Have you met any, and what were they like?? Tanx.

Chandon Tue 31-Jul-12 19:38:17

it's what chavvy people would call their dog grin

just kidding

Lovely name. The only association I have with the name is Tristan and Isolde. Didn't even know its Arthurian. I haven't met any real life Tristan.

Brad Pitt was called Tristan in that film I really really love but can't for the life of me remember what its called...

Anywho, he didn't look like a chav in it.

Love the name btw and fwiw I don't know any rl Tristans

grin Chan!

CheerfulYank Tue 31-Jul-12 19:42:46

Legends of the Falls Rhett. Or Fall? confused

ghosteditor Tue 31-Jul-12 19:43:11

That would be Legends of the Fall mrs rhett (fans self)

RightUpMyRue Tue 31-Jul-12 19:46:09

So relieved to hear these opinions. I was tempted not to click on the thread because I don't want my beautiful boys name ruined. PHEW!

Yes! That's the one! Ohhh I fell in love with Brad watching that film <sighs>

ghosteditor Tue 31-Jul-12 19:49:18

and by the way, I think it's a fab name!

mejon Tue 31-Jul-12 20:38:57

My brother is one but spelt with a 'y' which is the Welsh spelling. Far from 'chavvy' I'd say. NiceViper - the 70s sitcom was George and Mildred I think.

sonniboo Tue 31-Jul-12 21:12:31

A person can be a 'chav', not a name by itself. A name may become associated as chavvy if a lot of 'chavs' use it. Don't think Tristan is though.

But I do find Tristan far too close to triste = sad in French/latin.

NiceViper Tue 31-Jul-12 21:17:02

Thanks mejon - it was bugging me!

And I must now confess my mistake, as the boy was Tristram.

PeazlyPops Tue 31-Jul-12 21:52:31

The only Tristan I've ever known was a vile criminal!

madaboutmadmen Tue 31-Jul-12 21:52:48

Spelt Trystan it is an old Welsh name from an old Welsh legend called Trystan and Esyllt, not chav at all. google 'trystan' for more.

MagdalenaAlec Wed 01-Aug-12 00:16:39

Tristan & Isolde yes. Not chavvy imo, even in the US.
Oh and I love Esyllt too, I know one who is French.

Sarcalogos Wed 01-Aug-12 00:28:12

Vair mc name.

Nice too! grin

mbbh Mon 19-Nov-12 21:54:56

I hate this name (just my opinion) it's so common!

Anonymumous Tue 20-Nov-12 11:22:47

It wouldn't strike me as chavvy at all - in fact, if I met a chav who had used the name Tristan, I would be impressed at their imagination and wonder whether I had misjudged them!

And Tristan from the 'All Creatures Great and Small' series was a cool sort of chap. (Although not quite as cool as his brother Siegfried who I had a bit of a reader's crush on. blush )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now