Is Tristan a chav name???

(43 Posts)
AreYouAbleMabel Tue 31-Jul-12 18:28:28

I hate using that word but I read a comment on a previous thread that it was a chavtastic name confused I think it is anything but!!!!

So what do you think? I have only ever met one and he was defo not chav! Have you met any, and what were they like?? Tanx.

zozzle Tue 31-Jul-12 18:51:00

I've always thought it was a fairly MC/UC name. But you know what it's like on here - unless your child is called Hortense or Rupert, there will always be one or two that will think your chosen name is chav!!

Queenie72 Tue 31-Jul-12 18:51:50

No way, lovely name and I'd say v middle class x

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 31-Jul-12 18:53:39

I hate that phrase, but no I don't think Tristan is common.

GetOrfMoiRing Tue 31-Jul-12 18:54:25

It's a vet's name.

MrsMcEnroe Tue 31-Jul-12 18:54:35

It's quite the opposite. The only Tristans I've ever met (both of them) have attended public schools (Eton etc) and worked in the City!

Nooooo I have one. The only other 1 or 2 (one and a half) I know are just normal people

weaselm4 Tue 31-Jul-12 18:55:59

I know two, both naice MC boys (well, one's a grown up, actually).

reddaisy Tue 31-Jul-12 18:56:04

I love it!

NettOlympicSuperstar Tue 31-Jul-12 18:57:08

DD would've been Tristan had she been a boy.
I am slightly chavvy, but don't think I have chavvy name tastes.

NettOlympicSuperstar Tue 31-Jul-12 18:58:38

Hahaha Getorf, DD wants to be a vet.(or a food critic)
Perhaps she knows she'd have been a Tristan?grin

Our DD would have been Tristan if she'd been a boy. I think it's a lovely name. If I could guarantee having a boy I might even consider having another baby so that I could use itgrin

WetAugust Tue 31-Jul-12 19:29:17

Definitely not chav - they couldn't spell it for a start

Lannie33 Tue 31-Jul-12 19:30:49

not at all

NiceViper Tue 31-Jul-12 19:31:35

It's not a name I like that much, but I'd never have thought it "chav".

It's quite a cultured Wagnerian name, or an Arthurian name, or that irritating child from some 70s sitcom which has only half lodged in my mind, but it was then an emblematic name for "pretentious middle class". I'd say the over 40s would still see it that way.

rainonmyparade Tue 31-Jul-12 19:33:43

grin at GetOrf. Loved that show.

Not at ALL.

I teach two in a quite rough comp. One of them is honestly up there with the most poorly behaved, I'll natured children I've ever come across.
Thats tainted that name forever for me now sad

GoranisGod Tue 31-Jul-12 19:34:44

I really wanted tristan or julian-dh said hell NO!

I have just asked him if he thinks it is a chav name and he said decidedly not....

patosullivan Tue 31-Jul-12 19:34:48

I would say Tristan is the sort of name public schoolboys have. Definitely not chavvy!

MattDamonIsMyLover Tue 31-Jul-12 19:36:44

No, or not yet at any rate.

messtins Tue 31-Jul-12 19:36:46

I know a couple of grown up Tristans who are on the posh side, and one is a vet, but the only child I know of that name is decidedly not posh ( I don't like to label him a Chav) I think it is filtering down the scale.....

CheerfulYank Tue 31-Jul-12 19:36:54

<now this is stuck in my head...love it! >

Here (in America) I'm afraid it is. Along with Tristyn, etc. And I know a few girls called it as well.

MattDamonIsMyLover Tue 31-Jul-12 19:37:28

A bit effeminate and weedy, though.

Londonista1975 Tue 31-Jul-12 19:37:31

It's got middle and upper class connotations and for me it's as far from being a chivvy name as I can think of.

It's a lovely name and one that isn't popular which is always a plus point in my book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now