Which Name do you Hate Most?

(399 Posts)
Tigertots Fri 29-Jun-12 00:53:34

I hate the name Jane; I'm not saying it's the ugliest name in the world, by a long way (that's probably Griselda), but because of associations. Firstly, it was the name of the most horrible bully at my secondary school; and now, also, there's the Inbetweeners movie, in which the gorgeous Jay gets paired up with a fat plain Jane who is not cute enough for him!

pigletpower Fri 29-Jun-12 01:15:08

Keiron.

Ellen

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 29-Jun-12 01:27:26

John. Why even bother giving your child a name, quite honestly? Just call him "boy" or "man".

Lannie33 Fri 29-Jun-12 02:14:45

Toss up between Bertha, Ethel and Gretchen

LemonTurd Fri 29-Jun-12 02:53:02

Jane and Ellen are two of my favourite names smile

I don't like Kathryn. The name of my school bully sad I love the name spelled all other ways but this one brings up bad memories.

HolyCameraConfusionBatman Fri 29-Jun-12 02:57:56

For boys; Sonny (though I like Sunny for a girl), and any 'dad's name junior' names

For girls; Lottie, Cecily,

I don't like names with a 'oe' sound, like chloe, zoe, sound. They aten't bad names and i wouldn't think anything weird about the person naming the child. They just aren't me.

rachel234 Fri 29-Jun-12 10:50:29

I really dislike a lot of the overused cutesy type names

Archie/Alfie/Sonny/Willy/Albie

Evie/Ellie/Milly/Tilly/Poppy/Maisy

I prefer more 'solid' names personally.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Fri 29-Jun-12 10:53:26

I don't know if I hate any, but I have a dislike for Amy. It just seems so wet.

I really cannot stand Kayleigh, it is the name of someone I utterly despise and I just can't get past that!

I am very much affected by personalities, If I know or have met someone who is nasty etc I really am then put off their name!

BikeRunSki Brazil Fri 29-Jun-12 10:57:24

I have a irrational dislike of Charlotte, no idea why.

But DD's name is above, and I love it, so it takes all sorts. World would be v confusing if we all had the same name!

TheonlyWayisGerard Fri 29-Jun-12 10:57:51

Noah. It's bleuh. I don't even like saying it out loud.

bananamummy Fri 29-Jun-12 10:58:51

I dislike the names Cherie and Cheryl.

SarryB Fri 29-Jun-12 11:00:04

I hate the name TJ. or PJ or similar.

chillyexpat Fri 29-Jun-12 11:00:19

Aaron. To me it is as if you look in the baby name book, open it at page one, and go, 'that'll do'!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 29-Jun-12 11:01:07

Same as rachel; I can't stand the vogue for giving children old-man/old-woman names. Archie, Arthur and Millie particularly get my weasel. I have to grit my teeth about so many of my friends' DCs' names

mrsshears Fri 29-Jun-12 11:01:55

boys- kyle and kai

girls- lexi and lola

littletomato Fri 29-Jun-12 11:05:16

Wendy, Laura, Vicky, Tammy. Fortunately they're way out of fashion.

shoobidoo Fri 29-Jun-12 11:06:05

I too dislike the cutesy names especially Archie/Artie/Alfie/Albie for boys and Milly/Poppy/Maisy/Ellie for girls.

Obergene Fri 29-Jun-12 11:06:07

I am pretty open minded about names as long as they are names and not made-up words or weird spellings of traditional names (Emma-Leigh anyone?).

I know a Nevaeh and I can't even work out how to say it because ITS NOT A WORD. Why call your child a collection of letters that make no sensible sound in the English language? The nearest I can get is Nivea and that is a cheap treatment for chapped lips. And anyway spelling Heaven backwards has a santanic feel about it it and makes me think of Hell!

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Fri 29-Jun-12 11:07:37

Yy to cutesy -ie names. Also Robert and anything else ending in bert.

shoobidoo Fri 29-Jun-12 11:08:04

But lots of names are not 'sensible' in terms of spelling e.g. Niamh, Siobhan. Doesn't make them less of a name imo. Whether you like the names or not is a different matter of course.

shoobidoo Fri 29-Jun-12 11:08:30

Or, worse, Bertie!

ithaka Fri 29-Jun-12 11:09:18

I particularly dislike Senga. Agnes is not a pretty name, but it is certainly not improved by spelling it backwards. Sorry to all Sengas & Agneses out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now