Harris ??

(40 Posts)
TheonlyoneIknow Fri 01-Jun-12 08:04:14

I think we have decided on this for a first name if baby is a boy.

Am really struggling though for a middle name. I do like Alexander but not sure if it is too long and goes with our surname (which also ends in 'er'.)

I quite like Lachlan but there is no way DP will go for that!

Any other suggestions?
Thanks x

PestoSandalissimos Fri 01-Jun-12 08:11:17

Rolf

MrsKwazii Fri 01-Jun-12 08:16:57

Did you know that Harris is Cockney slang for arse? Don't want to influence your choice - you could be anywhere in the world after all - but it's worth knowing.

Alexander is a lovely name. Congrats on your pregnancy BTW

TheonlyoneIknow Fri 01-Jun-12 08:31:25

I am in Scotland so hopefully it won't be an issue!

We really struggled to name our first DS and this is the only name we can agree on if no.2 is a boy! DP has vetoed all my other suggestions sad

MrsAmaretto Fri 01-Jun-12 08:37:38

Really like Harris and don't think cockney rhyming slang is known here in Scotland!!

Agree with you about middle name ending in "er" if your surname does. Do you have any family namesyoucould use?

CuppaTeaJanice Fri 01-Jun-12 08:46:10

I must admit I thought 'arse' too, but it's actually 'Aris' not Harris, as in Aristotle - Bottle. Bottle 'n' Glass - Arse.

With a scottish Harris, I would think tweed.

What about a varient of Alexander? Alexis, Alex, Lex?

tara0202 Fri 01-Jun-12 08:56:24

Harris is lovely. I'm Scottish too, never heard of the rhyming slang! Go for it.

DogEared Fri 01-Jun-12 08:58:09

I am not a cockney (I'm Welsh) and I thought "up the harris"- arse- too. Sorry.

emmyloo2 Fri 01-Jun-12 09:05:53

I like it. It's not my normal style but I like it a lot.

I love Lachlan as well though but I generally love all Scottish boy's names. Hamish, Fergus, Fraser etc.

TheonlyoneIknow Fri 01-Jun-12 09:08:48

I love all the 'F' boys names but sadly DPs surname begins with 'F' and they just don't go (otherwise it would definitely have been Fergus or Fergal).

Aside from the cockney rhyming slang thing, any other middle name suggestions?

I quite like Xander as a nn for Alexander but Harris Xander XXXX doesn't look right

bronze Fri 01-Jun-12 09:11:18

Alexander works with Harris
How about Alastair/dair/however you want to spell it

My ds4 is Harris, I love it just as much now as the day he was born. I live in Scotland too and I know of no other Harris' so it's not popular what I like. We also have a Kyle, Cameron and Innes. We used Taylor as a middle name, I like Harris Xander tho smile

emmyloo2 Fri 01-Jun-12 09:17:15

I think stick with Alexander as a middle name. Or what about George? Harris George [*]? My DS is George so I am just throwing it out there.

Fergal is brilliant name. <jots it down on baby name list>

TheonlyoneIknow Fri 01-Jun-12 09:21:06

I think it's more that the surname is 2 syllables ending in 'er' which is why i'm not sure if Alexander might be a bit of mouthful as it also ends in 'er' (or am I overthinking it!!).

I wanted George for a first name but DP's boss's son is called George. I just love the nn 'Dod' for George! See if i can persuade him it's good for a middle name!

jenny we also have a Kyle smile

emmyloo2 Fri 01-Jun-12 09:24:25

I wouldn't over think the middle name. My George is George Alexander. We just randomly chose Alexander because we liked it.

My cousin has a Kyle and a Hamish. Both gorgeous names. My grandparents are scottish and my son was named after his great grandfather born in Forfar!

I need another scottish name for DS2 should I have one. My DH won't agree to Hamish though which is my favourite.

Lexiesgirl Fri 01-Jun-12 09:35:46

Harris is lovely, though I like Harrison more, with Harris as the nn. Harris/on Alexander would go great. Alexander is a really good middle name, goes with everything!

MrsKwazii Fri 01-Jun-12 09:36:14

CuppaTeaJanice But when you're cockney, you don't pronounce the 'H' wink

bigbadbarry Fri 01-Jun-12 09:38:18

I think you are overthinking it: Harris Alexander - - er sounds ok to me and how often do you use the whole thing anyway? (Just clicked on this thread because me kitten is called Harris smile )

jaffacakehips Fri 01-Jun-12 10:30:49

What about Harris Campbell {surname}?

TheonlyoneIknow Fri 01-Jun-12 10:46:44

I do like Campbell, the only thing that puts me off is that it's also a surname (like Harris)?

Stellan Fri 01-Jun-12 10:52:55

I do like Campbell, the only thing that puts me off is that it's also a surname (like Harris)?
But so is Alexander: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_(surname)

So, if you like Campbell, you might as well use it.

foxeeroxee Fri 01-Jun-12 13:35:20

Love harris though i am biased ds1 is called it, funnily enough i dont like harrison.
Think it sounds lovely with alexander.

Littlecherublegs Fri 01-Jun-12 13:54:14

Love Harris - and Harrison for that matter!

Harris Alexander sounds lovely.

Or how about:
Harris Dominic
Harris Nathaniel
Harris Jackson
Harris Wilbur
Harris Gabriel

TheonlyoneIknow Fri 01-Jun-12 14:45:21

DS's middle name is Jackson (my granny's maiden name) and I love it smile

I like Gabriel (DP not so keen sadly) and his middle name is Nathaniel! spooky!"

jaffacakehips Fri 01-Jun-12 20:35:03

IMHO this surname as a first name or middle name isn't an issues in Scotland or indeed if you're Scottish and not living in Scotland. As names like Campbell, Cameron etc are commonly used as first names as well as surnames, so we're used to it. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now