English sounding Muslim Girls Names???? Plz help :-)

(109 Posts)
yasmin85 Sun 19-Feb-12 02:03:51

Please share some english sounding muslim names. We would like something that is easily pronounced but is still muslim or arabic origin. Many thanks.

pranma Mon 20-Feb-12 10:48:37

My dgd is Serra she is Turkish friends include Lara, Selen and Deniz which is a bit like Denise. All these girls are Muslim.

RabidEchidna Mon 20-Feb-12 10:59:46

sara

Stellan Mon 20-Feb-12 11:33:14

I've had Muslim friends named Sadia (which did not rhyme with Sadie but was more like SAR-dee-uh), Ayesha, Amina, Sameera, Reem, Rania, Nasreen, Haleema, Nadia, Zeinab and Maryam. I think Maryam is an especially pretty name. Names like Noor, Layla, Hannah, Sara, Jennah, Amira, Samira, Yasmin, Sophia, Safiyyah, Zara, Samina, Hamdah and Rania might also work well.

Littlecherublegs Mon 20-Feb-12 13:05:32

Sara
Zarah
Farrah
Alia
Aysha
Sira
Layla
Leila
Sophia

CousinCairngormMcWomble Mon 20-Feb-12 16:27:34

Farihah
Sabine
Sabihah
Shelina
Shibli

oikopolis Mon 20-Feb-12 18:50:27

Shireen/Shirin is popular as a crossover name in some circles. I think it means "sweetness".

tunaday Mon 20-Feb-12 20:16:58

I'm Sarah (not Muslim). I worked in a primary school in a very Asian part of Leeds and whenever any of the girls' asked what my first name was, they all seemed very approving of Sarah as a name. Other Muslim/English sounding names I love are Leila, Rezwanna (which I think sounds a bit like Rosanna when you say it quickly) and I believe Brangelina have an adopted girl called Sahara (which is somewhat like Sara) and by extention of the kid being brought up by the Pitt-Jolie's or Jolie-Pitt's, probably has a certain amount of street cred/cool attached to it now!LOL

historyrepeats Mon 20-Feb-12 20:21:18

Samah -pronounced summer

historyrepeats Mon 20-Feb-12 20:21:50

Yasmin

historyrepeats Mon 20-Feb-12 20:22:57

Amira - beautiful

DumSpiroSpero Mon 20-Feb-12 20:28:04

My friend's dd's (named for same reasons) are Laila & Madina - shortened to Madi.

duchesse Mon 20-Feb-12 20:34:04

The girls I have known with names that do in either culture have been called Maryam, Laila and Tanya (that girl was Persian so I assume it's in the Muslim world as well).

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 20-Feb-12 20:36:37

Farrah, Hannah, Sara and Yasmin are all lovely but I really like Amina.

nailak Mon 20-Feb-12 20:38:35

shaista?
latifa
rahma
may
nadine
sabrina
Asia
Sana
Serena/Zerena

historyrepeats Mon 20-Feb-12 20:39:14

I know two sisters called Yasmin and Zarah.

SuddenlyAtHome Mon 20-Feb-12 20:51:27

I live in an area with big Muslim population and friends who have never had problems with pronunciation of their names by non-Muslims are Amira, Rania, Farah, Safia, Rukhsana, Sonia. All beautiful names (my favourite is Amira, just lovely).

duchesse Mon 20-Feb-12 20:53:26

or Nadia- that's a lovely cross-cultural name.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 20-Feb-12 20:55:22

Can't believe that people have problems pronoucing those names Sudden. there again DD has an English name that most people seem to have a problem with and we didn't even think it was that unusual. One Mum even gave me the shock face the first time we took her out and said "oh, erm, have you made that one up?".

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 20-Feb-12 20:58:08

Forgot to say, have a Muslim friend named Tessima which is beautiful. If she wants it to sound more English she just calls herself Tess which again is a such a lovely name.

MissBetsyTrotwood Mon 20-Feb-12 20:59:49

We know a muslim Amber. Lovely.

SuddenlyAtHome Mon 20-Feb-12 21:08:19

They are the friends who DON'T have problems smile I have an Irish name and have had a lot more blank looks!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 20-Feb-12 21:15:27

Ah yes, have just reread your post and spotted the "never". That makes all the difference.

Sorry for my mixed up rant.

<leaves MN and searches for wine>

sashh Tue 21-Feb-12 00:18:39

Sara
Rita
Anita

LongWayRound Tue 21-Feb-12 12:34:30

Aisha - Aida - Amal - Aya - Basma - Bouthaina - Celya
Hanan - Hiba - Iman - Jihane - Kenza - Lilya - Lina
Majda - Malak - Maria - Marwa - Maryam - Mya
Nada - Nadia - Najat - Najwa - Nisrine - Nouhayla
Oumnia - Raja - Rania - Reem - Rita
Safia - Sakina/Soukaina - Salma - Salwa - Sara - Sophia/Sofia
Yasmina/Yasmine - Yousra - Zineb

Not that all the above sound English, but they are easy to pronounce in English. Unlike Ferdaous and Ghizlane, which are pretty names but may be difficult for English speakers.

ipanicked Wed 22-Feb-12 21:46:51

My brand new (muslim) cousin who lives half way across the world has just been named Zara Sofia which I think is just gorgeous (and would not be at all out of place round here either!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now