Aaron- how would YOU pronounce it?

(103 Posts)
Wrigglebum Sat 07-Jan-12 08:05:59

DH and I both like the name Aaron pronounced AH-ron but hate it pronounced AIR-on. Those in the UK, how would you pronounce it?

I'm thinking Aaron James is quite nice.

DH and I have used the only other boy's name we could agree on (Daniel), suggestions for what might go with that, assuming this one's a boy!

As this thread is nearly two years old the OP will have already named her baby

Im in the Black country, its A-Run here - never heard anyone pronounce it differently... but us midlanders are an odd breed - mom with an 'o' etc smile

NigellasDealer Tue 17-Dec-13 23:08:37

I sure it is air-on in London anyway
wiki entry

CountingStars Tue 17-Dec-13 17:17:51

Ah-ron, never heard it in another way.

MiaowTheCat Tue 17-Dec-13 09:12:21

I wonder if it is pronounced different dependent on what area of the Country you live in....

It's about 50/50 here - and I'm in the Midlands... so that probably doesn't help much since that's about as sitting on the fencey as you can get

Writerwannabe83 Tue 17-Dec-13 07:53:41

This is what me and DH are considering calling our son, but ours will be an Arran John smile

I also hate Air-Ron!!

Ours will be an A-Run smile

I wonder if it is pronounced different dependent on what area of the Country you live in....

SummerRain Tue 17-Dec-13 01:11:37

West of Ireland and we use ahr-on, as do all other parents of Aarons we know.

It's ahr-on down in Cork too as I knew several.

The odd person from the older generation will mistakenly spell it Aran but generally we've never had any problems, anyone under the age of 50 round here knows it's ah-ron spelled Aaron

aran/arran would be pronounced ahr-an

Aran:Aaron
ahr-an:ahr-on

Similar but not the same smile

air-on sounds ridiculously american to me, I'e never heard it in real life, only on US tv shows.

NigellasDealer Tue 17-Dec-13 00:58:27

Air-un or it would be Arran

AGnuMasqueradingAsAReindeer Tue 17-Dec-13 00:50:48

How funny... A few months ago I started a thread about Aaron & most people said they'd pronounce it "Arrun" so we didn't use it! We already had a Daniel Mark. I can PM you the name we did use for our most recent DS if you'd like, since we seem to have similar tastes in names! smile

ZingChoirsOfAngels Tue 17-Dec-13 00:45:50

Air-on

it's DS2's middle name. and so was Elvis Presley's.

great name

Cavort Tue 17-Dec-13 00:24:56

My DH is Arran. No pronounciation problems there, but FWIW I would pronounce Aaron the same and would have done before meeting my DH.

I've taught a few, all pronounced Arron and all badly behaved, weirdly

NoComet Tue 17-Dec-13 00:06:55

Air-Ron, his mum's Canadian and I'm sure that's how she say's it.

AuntieBrenda Mon 16-Dec-13 23:53:41

My DB is Aaron- pr Ah-run where we live. He gets called Ah for short. He's almost 30 and nobody's ever called him air-run as far as I'm aware.
Call your baby what you like - seriously. As long as you don't name him Adolf or Beelzebub doo pop a lee la, nobody should comment.
Congratulations on your impending arrival! thanks

PrimalLass Mon 16-Dec-13 22:29:07

FFS. Affected.

PrimalLass Mon 16-Dec-13 20:05:15

I have never ever heard to pronounced Air-on in this country. It sounds very effected to me.

DancingLady Mon 16-Dec-13 19:50:46

Same as many others on here, from a cursory glance - Air-on. AH-run would be spelled Arran, I'd assume.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 16-Dec-13 19:46:20

Miaow, I think mark808 is having an argument with someone, maybe the mother of his new son/to be? grin It's Ah-ron here.

MiaowTheCat Mon 16-Dec-13 19:31:33

Not quite sure why every Aaron thread's been bumped up and resurrected - but it's one that I always used to check with the child in question when I did supply teaching, as I've taught about 50/50 Ah-rons and Air-ons and they all get incredibly pissed off if you go for the wrong version of it!

grizzabellia Mon 16-Dec-13 13:57:07

The correct pronounciation is Air-on. This is the biblical and OED pronounciation (and if you listen to radio 3 or classic fm when they play Aaron Copland, which is regularly, this is how it is pronounced). A zillion times nicer than Arran (which is spelt like that).

CallMeNancy Mon 16-Dec-13 13:47:22

Our Ron.

in a Scouse accent

popsocks Mon 16-Dec-13 13:43:52

My ds is an Aaron and we say it how you would say Darren. Not once has it ever been pronounced Airon. People will pronounce it how you want them to, you only have to tell them if they say it wrong smile

mark808 Mon 16-Dec-13 10:33:01

The correct pronunciation is Air-on. I went to school with 2 boys called Aaron pronounced Air-on. I think over the years the incorrect spelling has been used. If the name wanted is Arun then it should be spelled Arun or Arran or something that pronounces like that. Double A at the start of a word is pronounced Air. This isn't debatable it is the facts but the language evolves over time and as such the majority of people now call their children Aaron and say it Arun. It is incorrect but in today's language appears to now be correct.

boyfallingoutofthesky Tue 10-Jan-12 17:06:35

AnAirofhope - I will join you campaign.

Q How do we know Moses was bald?
A Because he was sometimes seen with 'Air on and sometimes without

Only fools and horses c. 1990 (am showing age)
Rodney: You can't call him Aaron he'll get called G string
Del: What?
Rodney: Air on the G string

I did originally use this latter as argument against name Aaron but my partner thought it was quite a cultural nickname (hope will not happen though)!

BarryShitpeas Tue 10-Jan-12 14:50:47

Ah-run.

Scouse. There's millions of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now