I want to call my baby Avocado

(114 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Fri 23-Sep-11 12:59:28

Not really.

Hear me out...

Okay, I like Persimmon (nn Persi) (which is still in the running) but everyone was horrified to the point where I have a seed of doubt sown in my mind.

So... my children have taken to calling the baby Avocado, and I was idly wondering if there was a nice Latin name for Avocado or an Avocado flower or something, and it turns out that the Avocado is of the genus Persea - do you reckon it's pronounced Percy or Persee-ay?

And, if you're feeling indulgent, can you think of anything else Avocado-y that might work? (But don't just be cutting and acerbic) (unless it's also funny).

allhailtheaubergine Sat 01-Oct-11 16:57:48

I do like Bonniface and Loveday.

DesertOrchid Sat 01-Oct-11 18:14:38

I rather like Persimmon, I am glad that's still up there!

TooImmature2BDumbledore Sat 01-Oct-11 22:49:22

Damn, DH has just vetoed Dust. And Loveday. If I ever write a book, the main character will be called Loveday.

Lettice?

allhailtheaubergine Sun 02-Oct-11 06:52:20

Why is Dust a Puritan name?

Hooray! 2 votes for Persimmon. Sorry to all the haters, I really think if this baby is a little girl she will be Persimmon.

seeker Sun 02-Oct-11 07:00:05

<starts rearguard action>

Promise won't call her Percy then. Even if you spell it Persi.

seeker Sun 02-Oct-11 07:01:19

Dust - as "All flesh is......."

Carmel206 Sun 02-Oct-11 07:49:09

the irish word for avocado is abhcoide (avcweede) not great i grant you but possibly other languages may have better sounding translations?

twooter Sun 02-Oct-11 08:46:08

If you like persimmon, how about Barrett (as an alternative home build) ?

ShoutyHamster Sun 02-Oct-11 10:34:00

Eeek Persimmon Loveday totally goes against my suggestion for a sensible mn BUT is probably the most amazing name I've heard for ages!

My DH vetoed Loveday (grr)

largeginandtonic Sun 02-Oct-11 11:32:42

< swoon > at Persimmon Loveday.

It makes me want a pink one to call that. Go on, do it.

My sis is pregnant, i wander if i can convince her to have a Persimmon Loveday...

vividgingerchilli Sun 02-Oct-11 14:12:02

Persimmon - will he/she be a builder when she/he grows up?!

Struggling to imagine calling the register and getting to Persimmon...or Avocado.. At least it's original!

ChippingIn Sun 02-Oct-11 14:24:55

For the love of god your hormones really are playing up aren't they grin

Avocado is better than Persimmon!! Neither of them pass the 'walk into the room test' IMO

Your poor poor DH sad

grin

vividgingerchilli Sun 02-Oct-11 16:27:13

What is the "walk into room" test?!

Panzee Sun 02-Oct-11 16:37:01

Is it like the Playground test? That's when you imagine shouting your chosen name across a crowded playground.

eg: :"AVOCAAAAAAAAAAAADO!" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now